Is it a mk2 fk?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Is it a mk2 fk?

Yes it is.

But doubt seems to be whether it's the prototype or an early/later-production Mk2 FK

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it's probably the angle of the picture that's making it look odd , as the windows look odd and as I said earlier I didn't notice the domed ends which are prominent on ALL mk2s 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Titan said:

Copied from the "Prototype for everything" thread this seems to me to be an odd Mk1:

spacer.png

Was it always like that or has it been modified?

Quite a few mk1 brakes in preservation have been modified to provide disabled accommodation 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

There is no doubt that it is NOT the prototype.

The other give away that it is not the prototype is the roof vents. The protype had a double line and the production batch had a single offset line. The prototype also didn’t have externally fitted windows. The fitting looks similar to the final batch of Mk1 FK with a seal round the main body-light.

Other interesting points from the original photo are that the Pullman (I believe E351E) has it’s grey panel extended over the doors while all the other Parlour Seconds had blue doors. Also the Mk2 FK has a non-standard grey panel that doesn’t align with Pullman’s. It is right up under the windows, rather like Bachmann’s original incorrect rendition of the Mk2/Mk2a livery, corrected on their later batches.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, mark54 said:

The other give away that it is not the prototype is the roof vents. The protype had a double line and the production batch had a single offset line. The prototype also didn’t have externally fitted windows. The fitting looks similar to the final batch of Mk1 FK with a seal round the main body-light.

Other interesting points from the original photo are that the Pullman (I believe E351E) has it’s grey panel extended over the doors while all the other Parlour Seconds had blue doors. Also the Mk2 FK has a non-standard grey panel that doesn’t align with Pullman’s. It is right up under the windows, rather like Bachmann’s original incorrect rendition of the Mk2/Mk2a livery, corrected on their 

Did any of the early mk2 make it into east anglia in the late 60s

Would love to run a maroon one on my layout 

I doubt in maroon. They would most likely been on the East Coast Mainline and as front line stock would have been given blue/grey livery pretty quickly. I would think from 1971 some were transferred to work on East Anglian services. Ditto for Mk1 Parlour Seconds.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

That's exactly what I thought ; a Brake Third or Composite ! ...... or is it a Restaurant or Buffet Car ? ............................................... nope - wrong : http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2081

That's a hell of a conversion,  I was thinking BSK

• Agree 1