Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StuAllen said:

Same here, but I checked my bank and no payment taken, checked with Patrick on support who said there was an error with Partial.ly and they were working to fix it.

So I can have butter on my toast afterall tonight ?

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The partial payment system is a blessing - have been quietly paying instalments (which are affordable each month) and now am looking forward to receiving an 89, 66, 50 x 2 & 6 x Mk.1 Sub's without needing to pay a cent more and am well on the  way to 3 x 31's. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, Jim76 said:

So I take it these are arriving soon in that case?!

I have no idea - was merely stating what a great idea the stage payment system is and because of that when they ARE available I've already finished paying for them. Similarly the 31's will be paid for by the time they emerge. Avoids a huge one lump Credit card bill. Means I have a bit of headroom for impulse purchases - like another 47, weathered 20 or EFE 58.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BrakeCoach said:

Perhaps they are getting the payment through since they finally got the factory production slot.

No payments were taken or scheduled as yet and, again, are not due until the locos are in stock. hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

Can anyone tell me what coach set(s) did the Navy/Gold GNER liveried Class 89 work with?  Does anyone have an actual formation?

Mark 4 coaches

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

Can anyone tell me what coach set(s) did the Navy/Gold GNER liveried Class 89 work with?  Does anyone have an actual formation?

It was just a standard Mk4 set same as the Class 91s

11 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

I'm looking at buying a rake, which Hornby coaches would I need to make a complete set? 

Pretty much one of each ... Hornby released a rake

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Pretty much one of each ... Hornby released a rake

Though as I understand it, Hornby have only released newly tooled GNER mark 4s in the red door, post-Mallard refurb livery, which the class 89 never worked with. Some repainting would be required.

I don't think it would be possible to assemble a complete, correctly liveried, rake from the original tooled mark 4s, as Hornby never produced the TOE vehicle adjacent to the class 91 with that tooling, for example.

Edited by Cruachan
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

I don't think it would be possible to assemble a complete, correctly liveried, rake from the original tooled mark 4s, as Hornby never produced the TOE vehicle adjacent to the class 91 with that tooling, for example.

There are (or at least were) conversion parts available, from Keen Systems I believe. I would rather hack about an older Mk4 but their basic shape looks ok so they can be updated quite well with some detailing.

The new Mk4 tooling may well in time be re-used for different liveries. This is not as likely for the 89 because Accurascale are doing all variations of it in 1 batch, so it may be a case of buying it while you can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dixie Dean said:

5 hours ago, Welly said:

Mark 4 coaches

5 hours ago, GordonC said:

It was just a standard Mk4 set same as the Class 91s

It depends on the period in question.  A friend and myself decided to cover the 89 on it's diagrammed working at that time.  The 17xx Kings Cross - Peterborough.  We chose to drive over to Peterborough, caught a 317 to Huntingdon, then did the 89 back to Peterborough.  It was a loco hauled set of stock which contained a Mk1 BG at one end. Can't recall if the coaches were Mk1s or Mk2s though.

There were of course two periods of operation for the "badger" on the ECML, and this refers to the first period.   IIRC the ECML became a "blue operation" during the "badger's" 2nd period of mainline operation, and I guess it was all Mk4 "push pull" sets by then  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

what would LSL run the 89 with,  mk3 and mk3 dvt or have they got their own mk4 set,  

did badger run with a dvt or was it a run round at each end of the line?

i plan to run mine as present day

The 89 is TDM fitted, same as classes 90 and 91 (plus 87s and 86/2s), so will presumably be able to work push-pull with LSL's Mark 3 and DVT rake - LSL do not operate a mark 4 set.

In GNER days it operated in push-pull mode with mark 4 sets, but as noted above during its initial period of BR operation it often operated conventionally with a more varied range of stock on the likes of the Peterborough commuter turn.

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

The 89 is TDM fitted, same as classes 90 and 91 (plus 87s and 86/2s), so will presumably be able to work push-pull with LSL's Mark 3 and DVT rake - LSL do not operate a mark 4 set.

In GNER days it operated in push-pull mode with mark 4 sets, but as noted above during its initial period of BR operation it often operated conventionally on the likes of the Peterborough commuter turn.

thank you for that info  on mk3,  i get a rake of them when near the time

Edited by The Meerkat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

thank you for that info  on mk3,  i get a rake of them when near the time

In its first period of operation, it tended to run with a rake of HST Mk3s, rather than loco-hauled, often with a buffer-fitted power car at one end and barrier/generator BG at the other.

A couple of examples from Flickr:

(Michael Barstow)

(BillAtkinson2)

19881103 Scan1112 89001 + 43013 Abbots Ripton

• Like 9

On 21/03/2024 at 17:44, 25kV said:

In its first period of operation, it tended to run with a rake of HST Mk3s, rather than loco-hauled, often with a buffer-fitted power car at one end and barrier/generator BG at the other.

A couple of examples from Flickr:

(Michael Barstow)

(BillAtkinson2)

19881103 Scan1112 89001 + 43013 Abbots Ripton

nice photos, i plan to run mine in the present day LSL so be with their mk3 set,  i think is the loco hauled type as thy got a 90 and 87 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

nice photos, i plan to run mine in the present day LSL so be with their mk3 set,  i think is the loco hauled type as thy got a 90 and 87 

Yep - and at the moment, there are a few ScotRail liveried ones thrown into the mix too!  😁

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 10:36, Cruachan said:

Though as I understand it, Hornby have only released newly tooled GNER mark 4s in the red door, post-Mallard refurb livery, which the class 89 never worked with. Some repainting would be required.

You would also be able to get away with intercity liveried mk4s with the 89 in GNER livery. It did happen very briefly

On 21/03/2024 at 11:39, Pete the Elaner said:

There are (or at least were) conversion parts available, from Keen Systems I believe. I would rather hack about an older Mk4 but their basic shape looks ok so they can be updated quite well with some detailing.

The new Mk4 tooling may well in time be re-used for different liveries. This is not as likely for the 89 because Accurascale are doing all variations of it in 1 batch, so it may be a case of buying it while you can.

Heartily recommend keen systems bits for mk4s. I’ve done two rakes of mk4s and it’s a marked improvement.