Frodingham diesel depot plans and track plans

Hi everyone  I'm doing some research on frodingham depot as a possible layout idea

Im after information on the depot its self and the track plan too

Looking at pictures I gather its able to get a peak inside the depot  but if anyone has actual size or plans of the building that would be great

Kind regards  darren

• RMweb Gold

There’s a magazine publication called 

On Shed with various volumes .

they have trackplans and sometimes shed building plans 

I don’t know which one frodingham would be in but worth a look see if they’ve covered the shed in one of the magazines 

brian 

Edited by Bri.dolan
  • Informative/Useful 1

Suspect you need to look at British Railways Engine Sheds: an LNER Inheritance No 1 & Illustrated History of Scunthorpes Railways 

Pretty sure the extensive rebuild of Frodingham was covered photographically (including all groundworks) in No 1 but would need to dig it out of my collection.   

Can message me 

• RMweb Gold

Volume 3 of the " On Shed " series covers the southern half of the Eastern Region. Page 76 features an article on Frodingham, including a plan of the depot

and detailed drawings of the shed itself.

The part work was published by Kelsey Media. AFAIK, back issues are still available.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, nigb55009 said:

Volume 3 of the " On Shed " series covers the southern half of the Eastern Region. Page 76 features an article on Frodingham, including a plan of the depot

and detailed drawings of the shed itself.

The part work was published by Kelsey Media. AFAIK, back issues are still available.

Thanks have just ordered a copy 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this post, but are you still looking for pics or info? It was my local depot so visited many times over the years 1967 to 1974 ish. I can point you to some pictures to assist and can perhaps give you a few clues from material I have to hand.

When you talk about the building on the opposite side of the shed to the fuel tanks, are you talking about a second external office structure, or the sanding system machinery building built in brick?  The shed had four sand silos that dispensed sand into loco sand boxes on the three roads that went into the shed and on one additional road.

In terms of size of the shed, with a Class 40 there wasn't much room between the buffers and the inside of the door. A slightly shorter Class 45/46 fitted in snugly.  With Class 47s, 31s, 37, 25s and the local class 20s, they all had plenty of room inside the shed.  You could almost get a pair of Class 20s coupled nose to nose into the shed.  The inner wheel of the outer bogie would be level with the door. 

By my calculations, the shed was about 27.2 metres long excluding the office building. The Class 40 was 21.18m and the Class 45 was 20.7m long, so you can see there wasn't too much free space at the door end. 

From the door to the inspection pit, there was a walkway about 4-5 feet wide, and at the inner end of the shed, there was another open area about 15 feet wide.  That gives you almost 90 feet of working space.  This closely approximates with my calculations from also using other methods, to about 27.2 metres.

I have done my own track plan based on OO gauge if you have not yet done one.  North is top of page on the attached track plan.  The right-hand track joins the main and relief lines at Dawes Lane bridge adjacent Frodingham Trent Junction signal box. The line to the left joins the line that went out to Normanby Park and Flixborough and joins this line at the signal box controlling the Dawes Lane crossing gates.

Screen Shot.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That is a great comprehensive reply, Frodingham was a place I only visited a couple of times,

My last visit over 40 years ago, and I am struggling to place the other photos I took there.

scan0026.jpg.6f389097f6fd5237d44e40c95d28bcf5.jpg

Traincrew were boarding 31192 in the yard at Frodingham. 25/6/82

scan0027.jpg.5ebb51ff32ef6b06dc9988fff247f064.jpg

31111 in the yard at Frodingham. What was the yellow van behind the loco, a former fish van? I see on Paul Bartlett's site that 042206 (former 88038) was still in the Scunthorpe area many years later. 25/6/82

cheers  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The diesel shed opened in Feb 1966, but does look to be the same shape as that OS plan - with the exception of the part sticking out to the left.

I've a feeling the reprints of On Shed magazine don't include the fold-out pages the original run did. Certainly that is the case with LMR issue 1 I ordered recently.

In the original edition - the dimensions of the 1966 diesel shed (excluding offices) are given as 98ft long by 62ft wide, based on a 60ft wide portal frame to standard ER design. There are drawing elevations showing the building from all four sides including the offices.

Edited by stovepipe