Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex Yeoman PHA/JYA for Ultimate Model Railways

AY Mod

• Moderators

Cavalex Models and Ultimate Model Railways to release Orenstein & Koppel Yeoman bogie aggregate open box wagon OO

PHA FY MF.png

Photo courtesy Mike Fraser

Cavalex is teaming up with Ultimate Model Railways to produce the Orenstein & Koppel bogie aggregate open wagon in 4mm scale in OO scale.

The 61 wagons were built by Orenstein & Koppel at their Dortmund works in Germany and introduced in 1988, to meet the expanding business and upgrading of the Foster Yeoman Torr works quarry, for use out of Merehead stone terminal. They were designed to be as short as possible, to give the maximum payload in the shortest possible train length and were a similar size to the successful PTA wagons then in use by Foster Yeoman and ARC, as they were then known. A side door was required, to enable cleaning out to avoid contamination of different materials, but these were rarely used in practice, if at all!

1.JPG

2 (1).JPG

Generally, for design and build purposes they were to run in blocks of 10 wagons, with two outer wagons and 8 inner wagons, but in reality blocks could be any number, depending on depot size and payload required. At some depots the trains had to be split for unloading and reconnected afterwards.

The first two wagons built, both outers, were subject to rigorous type testing before the wagon design was accepted to run on BR metals. The bogie, the O&K 25-100, was new to the UK and resulted in the wagons being restricted to 45mph fully loaded, but this was not a problem with the long, heavy trains being run by Foster Yeoman, so the wagons entered service as soon as they arrived!

The TOPS code was changed in 1990 to JYA, but took some time to appear on all wagons.

The wagons proved very successful, both in operation and maintenance and, although designed for a 20 year life, are still in operation today.

There has been one livery change, around 1997, when the original side plates with the word YEOMAN and big Y logo on were removed from all wagons and replaced with a single plate, which had the Y logo and YEOMAN name on the same plate. The basic Silver grey colour has remained (apart from repair repaints which were mainly grey) but the logo plates have been gradually removed over the years, leaving the wagons looking decidedly grubby in appearance!

The model is already significantly advanced and at the tooling stage of the process. Deliveries are expected during Q4 2023.

The Cavalex PHA/JYA wagons will be produced to the same high standard of finish as the highly regarded PGA and recently arrived TEA bogie tank wagons and will incorporate similar levels of detail.

FY 1.jpeg

FY 2 (1).jpeg

Both inner and outer wagons have been modelled.

The wagon will incorporate the following features:

• Highly detailed underframe

• Zinc alloy chassis

• Easy conversion to P4/EM, with 26mm axles used as standard

• NEM coupling pockets

• Sprung buffers at one end for outer wagons

• Working knuckle couplers with uncoupling bar for inner wagon ends

• A wealth of separately fitted parts to recreate this highly detailed wagon

Three liveries are announced for the initial run of the PHA/JYA, running numbers and pack details to be confirmed.

PHA – Foster Yeoman livery (outer wagon)

Project PHA.JYA- Web Template FY outer.png

PHA – Foster Yeoman livery (inner wagon)

Project PHA.JYA- Web Template FY inner.png

JYA – Revised Foster Yeoman livery (outer wagon)

Project PHA.JYA- Web Template Revised FY outer.png

JYA – Revised Foster Yeoman livery (inner wagon)

Project PHA.JYA- Web Template Revised FY inner.png

JYA – Unbranded livery (inner wagon)

Project PHA.JYA- Web Template Unbranded inner.png

JYA – Unbranded livery (inner wagon)

Project PHA.JYA- Web Template Unbranded outer.png

The wagons will be priced at £49.99 each and can be pre-ordered through ultimatemodelrailways.com.

This model is exclusive to Ultimate Model Railways and cannot be ordered through any other retailer.

Our thanks to Mike Fraser for all his help with this project.

Later Framing 2.png

Later Framing.png

Render 1 (1).png

Render 2 (1).png

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

hey everyone 👋 

We're really excited about this project — This is something we've wanted to do for a while and it's been very hard keeping this quiet! 

You can currently register your interest for the PHA/JYA on our site here https://ultimatemodelrailways.com/ - we will shortly open for pre-orders once we've confirmed the pack sizes etc. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Unfortunately I only have photos of them when pretty new - the original livery. And I hope we are not going to have too many arguments about the grey - look at the difference sunlight gives to these - another very elusive grey! https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/okphayeoman/e13d419bd (has an interesting little O&K diamond on the far righthand end. )

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/okphayeoman/ed322da9 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/okphayeoman/ed2154b9

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 3

Excellent! Well done all! They really capture the bulky look of the prototype very well. They will certainly look great behind a 59 (if / when that get's released) and the Dapol Yeoman Hoppers. 

• Like 2

Oh dear...... Why did i start modeling Mendip stone trains, its getting expensive.

Another great model choice that will no doubt sell well, i will no doubt be in the market for a rake of these.

I await with interest what the 'packs' will be, id like to see the end wagons sold in pairs with the middle wagons sold in larger packs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Unfortunately I only have photos of them when pretty new - the original livery. And I hope we are not going to have too many arguments about the grey - look at the difference sunlight gives to these - another very elusive grey! https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/okphayeoman/e13d419bd (has an interesting little O&K diamond on the far righthand end. )

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/okphayeoman/ed322da9 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/okphayeoman/ed2154b9

Paul

And here's them  now, still silver under all the grime. Be a fun weathering project.

IMG_20210408_190552.jpg.08a20cb468ee07e1722e63f24eeece05.jpg

Jo

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Looking very good but in the real world the 45mph loaded restriction was a right s*dding nuisance - too slow for easy daylight pathing loaded east of Reading.

Crikey that does seem low for a 1988 design.

35 minutes ago, Shaun66 said:

Has anyone got any current formations for these? Only really get single wagons on search results. 

They tend to run mixed in with other types such as the JNA offered by Revolution,  the JNA-As (39xx number series), KEAs and older green JNAs (34xx/35xx numbers).

Sets of boxes can vary from 14 (Chichester), 17 (Woking, Fareham, Southampton) up to over 30 for places such as Appleford. The jumbo trains to London may include a portion or two of boxes, sometimes as few as ten. For those not familiar with the jumbo, several trains are combined at the quarry, then split in London to go forward to their destination. 

Locations known to have loaded the wagons are Merehead,  Whatley, Machen, Avonmouth and Tytherington. Possibly used on occasion to Isle of Grain too, but outside my area of knowledge. 

Pics below linked from my Flickr, click for more details.

Mendip Weekender59005 7C28 FairwoodThe Panther...

59103 6O12 59002 7O35 WestburyFoggy Fareham60074 7C48 Broughton Gifford

Finally an empty Jumbo returning to Merehead,  boxes at the front.

59101 7C77 Fairwood

Jo

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I believe they were designed for 60, but the forces from the bogies meant BR said no. Rebogieing was looked into in the 1990s / early 2000s, but came to nowt.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

I'm not sure exactly what went on but I've a good idea from something in the back of my mind that it wasn't the designed speed and came about as a result of early experience with the wagons.  There was definitely one type used by yeomans that had a speed slammed on it and I think it was these.    Doesn't of course stop them being very visually impressive vehicles with a nice look to them so well worth a model and this looks like a good one but we normally timed stone trains at 60mph (and most could achieve with the daytime loads) so a lower speed was a real nuisance at times.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 4

Brilliant news.  These will fit in perfectly with our layout ‘Hoopers Aggregates’.  With the Revolution MMA/JNA, the Dapol MJA, JHA and HIA, the Accurascale HYA and the Bachmann HKA (not to mention NR Autoballasters, MRAs and IOAs) we are spoilt for choice.

00432C9D-3018-4435-8EBB-FA290E28FAE2.jpeg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Shaun66 said:

Has anyone got any current formations for these? Only really get single wagons on search results. 

Even on my 30+ year old photos the mixing with other wagon types can be seen. 

4 hours ago, Steadfast said:

They tend to run mixed in with other types such as the JNA offered by Revolution,  the JNA-As (39xx number series), KEAs and older green JNAs (34xx/35xx numbers).

Locations known to have loaded the wagons are Merehead,  Whatley, Machen, Avonmouth and Tytherington. Possibly used on occasion to Isle of Grain too, but outside my area of knowledge. 

Several of my old photos are taken at Grain. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Sets of boxes can vary from 14 (Chichester), 17 (Woking, Fareham, Southampton) up to over 30 for places such as Appleford. The jumbo trains to London may include a portion or two of boxes, sometimes as few as ten. For those not familiar with the jumbo, several trains are combined at the quarry, then split in London to go forward to their destination. 

Pics below linked from my Flickr, click for more details.

Mendip Weekender59005 7C28 FairwoodThe Panther...

59103 6O12 59002 7O35 WestburyFoggy Fareham60074 7C48 Broughton Gifford

Finally an empty Jumbo returning to Merehead,  boxes at the front.

59101 7C77 Fairwood

Jo

Thanks Jo, helpful. When did they loose their revised Yeoman branding?

9 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Thanks Jo, helpful. When did they loose their revised Yeoman branding?

Not 100% offhand, but a quick Flickr search suggests 2007 / 2008 time. Seen a few 2007 photos with about a 50/50 mix of branded and unbranded.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

In BR days there were some fairly strict instructions regarding the positioning of the various wagon types in the 'big' (4,000ton+) trains from Merehead partly dependent on which type of couplings were in use within the 'sets' of the wagon types.  I don't think I've got any details although I might possibly have something squirreled away somewhere in a Loads Book but generally anywagons formed in auto coupled groups would be towards or at the head end of the train.   The instructions - which my then office issued - were designed to take account of variations in coupling strength sp generally only applied to loaded trains.

When we ran the 12,000 tonne trial train from Merehead the coupling situation was even more complex as we also included a mid-train helper (to use the Americanism) to deal partially with coupling shock but also brake propagation. (which is the area where things went adrift - not entirely unexpectedly as it happened).

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• AY Mod changed the title to Cavalex Yeoman PHA/JYA for Ultimate Model Railways
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pictures of the first EP samples as recently shown recently at GETS. As these are first sample there are some areas to be addressed, curvature of the bodyside being one, however these have now been solved ready for the painted sample batch to get underway.

988682454_EP1underneath.jpg.5091b51c9120e668deba4ede47f49230.jpg

EP1.jpg.dd6975bb99b6f362005a68123b16db99.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, RBE said:

EP1.jpg.dd6975bb99b6f362005a68123b16db99.jpg

Looking very nice. If the body bowed out, then it'd be prototypical at least! 

One thing you may want to look at (and may already have noticed) is the brake isolation lever. Turned horizontally, the wagons has its brakes isolated. This is the green part hanging down,  just to the left of the right-hand bogie and painted red and marked ICD on the real thing. For a good order wagon, the lever should be vertical.

PSX_20221114_114601.jpg.1d53f4564e2118ba6a2386777cbe04ea.jpg

A little detail that many wouldn't notice, but the icing on the cake to get it spot on.

Jo

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1