RMweb

Cavalex Yeoman PHA/JYA for Ultimate Model Railways

AY Mod

On 25/07/2023 at 12:25, Southwich said:

“JYA Yeoman” / “JYA box wagon” / “Yeoman box wagon” / “JYA wagon” on Flickr have some excellent results for modern day workings, a few favourites linked from Flickr below:

Class 59:

59206 Slipe Lane 260721 (7V57)

59206 Slipe Lane 100818 (7V57)

59004 Berkley

Freightliner 59001 7C77

DSC_0463_2 3rd August 2016 Basingstoke

59206 7C77 Woodborough 10/10/16.

59205 Westbury

Class 66:

https://flic.kr/p/2mehV8r

66541 Slipe Lane 290721 (7V57)

66122 Imperial Wharf

66135 EWS EWS JYA WAGONS

Class 60:

https://flic.kr/p/Nk1PCE

class 90 recently too:

90003 Bradwell

‘Steven Celements’ appears to have photographed a full rake as well with a freightliner 66 on the front:

YEOMAN JYA OK 3268 141122

OK3320 OK19387 OK3281 020322

These albums are very good too: 

UK JYA Open Box

Wagons - 'J' TOPS code - JNA & JYA MRL box wagons

Kind regards,

Will

Superb photos Will! Certainly looking forward to ordering a lengthy rake of these and getting the weathering paints & powders out to (attempt) recreate these 😀

15 hours ago, Ultimate Model Railways said:

Website update - we’re getting there, we’ve taken the opportunity to do some more planned work at the same time. 

Until then here’s a quick “prototype for everything” pic - now who’s going to make some LUL locos? 🙂

West Ruislip shunters (2)

(Flickr url not my pic)

That's an extremely interesting picture! Especially as we are only modelling 3 stations up the way from here - any ideas on why they were here / what they were used for etc?

4 hours ago, WCML100 said:

That's an extremely interesting picture! Especially as we are only modelling 3 stations up the way from here - any ideas on why they were here / what they were used for etc?

Nice! I assume they went through Greenford. I used to commute through West Ruislip and they seemed to be there in the reception siding every week or so (if it wasn’t those it was 2x2 20s with new surface stock). I guess it’s ballast to supply the engineering train base at West Ruislip. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Closer to the time I shall have to post some of my pictures - our old office used to overlook the aggregates unloading area at Chichester station, giving uninterrupted chances to photograph these wagons high above from a 3-storey building, giving weathering inspiration of the wagons both inside and out! Some were really battered and you could see through the metalwork holes in the sides of the wagons..! 

In the period 2021-to-date the traction variety was comparatively good, loads of Freightliner 66/5s and 66/6s, together with ex-DBS faded red 59/2s and 59/2s in Freightliner Orange livery. Also you'd regularly see the other 59/0s and 59/1s turning up in their random liveries from Yeoman to Hanson and Aggregates Industries, really interesting! 

Cheers

James

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ultimate Model Railways said:

Nice! I assume they went through Greenford. I used to commute through West Ruislip and they seemed to be there in the reception siding every week or so (if it wasn’t those it was 2x2 20s with new surface stock). I guess it’s ballast to supply the engineering train base at West Ruislip. 

No the train from the Isle of Grain worked by Hither Green Traincrew ran via Neasden South Jn and Northolt Park but the empties returned via Greenford and Acton and Kenny O 

The did also work into Gerrards Cross the turn back siding was exetened and 3 daily trains ran in Top and Tailed from Merehead and Whatley, during the construction of the Gerrards Cross Tunnel and Tesco superstore they planted on top of it. All the trains that ran loaded was booked to run as Class 7s and JYA's was the most common wagon type used on the flow. 

K77

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, 8K77 said:

No the train from the Isle of Grain worked by Hither Green Traincrew ran via Neasden South Jn and Northolt Park but the empties returned via Greenford and Acton and Kenny O 

The did also work into Gerrards Cross the turn back siding was exetened and 3 daily trains ran in Top and Tailed from Merehead and Whatley, during the construction of the Gerrards Cross Tunnel and Tesco superstore they planted on top of it. All the trains that ran loaded was booked to run as Class 7s and JYA's was the most common wagon type used on the flow. 

K77

Ah good to know! Any idea why it went via Neasden on the way out? 

Didn’t know about the GX run, I’ve not been able to find much on Flickr so far aside from a trip from Acton with a 60.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ultimate Model Railways said:

Didn’t know about the GX run, I’ve not been able to find much on Flickr so far aside from a trip from Acton with a 60.

can you share that image of the 60 please? 😃

On 28/07/2023 at 11:02, Ultimate Model Railways said:

Morning, 

The train was booked to run from Grain via Clapham Jn, Barnes and Kew to maintain traincrew route knowledge on that section of the West London line. 1 week in every 6 at that time it came into its own when the route via Kenny O was blocked for engineering so sending 7M60 this was good for maintaining route knowledge. I do know one ex HG man who learned the route to West Ruislip but only ever learnt it on the empties that ran via Greenford. He had a shock the 1st day he did the loaded the run! He said nowt and batted on via Northolt Park like the good chap he is!

K77  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just an enquiry, don’t shout! 🙈 I’m interested to know when these will be available to order? There’s quite a few things that have caught my eye and just trying to budget as dare I say, Christmas is approaching faster than I’d like…

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2023 at 20:14, Shoey said:

Just an enquiry, don’t shout! 🙈 I’m interested to know when these will be available to order? There’s quite a few things that have caught my eye and just trying to budget as dare I say, Christmas is approaching faster than I’d like…

Hey there Shoey, we’ll have an update on this shortly!

• Like 1

POST-DEMU SUMMER UPDATE

YEOMAN PHA/JYA WAGON PROJECT

OFYPHA(2)copy.jpg.e2a820f9981c4fa93298d6f78c58e670.jpg

We have received the first decorated samples of the PHA/JYA bogie (O&K) box wagons from the factory for review and we could not be happier with how these wagons have turned out. It may appear as a simple box wagon but the prototype is very complex in construction and detail and we have captured this faithfully in model form. The factory has really delivered on this wagon with the first painted samples arriving with us to a standard that we would be more than happy with as a production model.

Following our inspection the project is now ready to move to the production stage of the process. We are currently working with Ultimate Model Railways to finalise the running numbers for the packs ahead of production.

More details and information will be released shortly.

The PHA/JYA bogie box wagons can be pre-ordered by clicking on the below link:

https://ultimatemodelrailways.com/

Full update here: https://www.cavalexmodels.com/post-demu-summer-update

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I was very fortunate to get a very close look and handle these box wagons back in June at DEMU showcase exhibition. I hadn’t paid much attention to them when first announced as I didn’t think I needed them on any layouts, until I realised they worked on the stone trains to Hamworthy. There are several pictures in the early 2000’s of 10 wagons hauled by a 60 which is a perfect sized train to model. They continued to run in mixed rakes with other boxes tight up to much more recent times too.

They capture the solid bulk of the real wagon in model form but are also very finely detailed all round. The bogies and underframe detail is absolutely superb, they rolled very freely and have a nice amount of weight. I will be looking forward to getting a rake of these once available.

All the best

Mark

• Like 5

On 04/11/2023 at 13:14, black and decker boy said:

The link for EOI now says expired. Is the order book now full?

I believe that UMR are updating their site to take orders rather than interest currently so that's the reason that the EOI page is down. Will report back when we know more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Is there any updates on these please? Just wondered if there was any info on what the pack sizes will be and how production and delivery is going?

With Revolution (and Kernow) soon to be releasing there next batch of JNAs im trying to balance the books so to speak?

Edited by GEARJAMMER
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Is there any updates on these please? Just wondered if there was any info on what the pack sizes will be and how production and delivery is going?

With Revolution (and Kernow) soon to be releasing there next batch of JNAs im trying to balance the books so to speak?

Hi Gearjammer,

We’re planning on doing pairs of outers and then the inners as single packs (with multiple running numbers). We have then as packs of 5 on the site at the moment but we’ll change this to reflect the above, so there’s more flexibility. They did tend to run in blocks of 5, and we’ve planned running numbers to reflect this, but appreciate that some people may want to mix them with other wagons on the market.

We’re working towards summer for arrival/delivery, production is about to get underway.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Morning! I'll get this sorted now, shouldn't be long. 

FYI we're doing 4 outers / 8 inners in original, 2/3 in revised and 2/3 unbranded. 

8 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Yeah would be great to have options as a lot of sets ran around in rakes of 14.

Hehe there's been lots of discussion about this. In theory they ran in sets of 5, but when a set of say 14 or 18 was required then a couple of inners would be dropped out at the quarry. Plus they'd be mixed in with PTAs, which muddies things further! So in the end we crunched the numbers from the expression of interest spreadsheet and did as many running numbers as we could for each variant. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1