Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

29 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

It was the very first split headcode blue one Bachmann issued, so which was version 1? (Possibly a post-privatisation livery?). I had one each of the centre headcode and split headcode versions plus the Kernow edition 37 142, all bought on release as the first Bachmann 37s in the livery I wanted. These are the no-lights 8 pin DCC socket fitted ones with the front four wheels on each bogie driven.

You are quite right in that there was no v1 with splitboxes. I didn’t mean to come across with pedant mode totally on but I see v1 as the very poor first 37/4 (and 37/5) models. Then v2 was the split and centre box ones with the cowling and no removable noses, but I can’t remember if the improved 37/4 came first 🤪

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/08/2022 at 02:21, 97403_Ixion said:

Thanks Scottish Exile for the comment but the problem stems from whether the real boxes (just mine, some or none) are labelled correctly or not... and that includes the certificate too.

I suspect they are correct however and that instead there has been a mistake made on the item version sent, despite paying for the more expensive model.  I haven't opened the box up too much or operated it to check fan operation, in case it needs to go back but the windows do not seem to have a tint on closer inspection, so not looking good, sadly.

Oh Dear, I hope this helps, although unfortunately I suspect it's not the news you were looking for :-(

20220808_110225.jpg.82e20a5ac17720714d9dc597a408f940.jpg

20220808_110138.jpg.9c934399bb80db33b18a154a172b70bf.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

It was the very first split headcode blue one Bachmann issued, so which was version 1? (Possibly a post-privatisation livery?). I had one each of the centre headcode and split headcode versions plus the Kernow edition 37 142, all bought on release as the first Bachmann 37s in the livery I wanted. These are the no-lights 8 pin DCC socket fitted ones with the front four wheels on each bogie driven.

IIRC one of the very first Bachmann 37's was BCC D6607/37403 Ben Cruachan in BR Green, the 37/0's with buffer shrouds then followed ?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

How do you expect to get 'Brake Squeal' if you don't apply the brakes?

With the CVs set at the project default, using the brake key, (F2) will not bring the loco to a sudden stop unless either the value in CV4 has been reduced or the F key 2 is 'latched on', or both.

Paul

Thanks. Maybe I didn't explain what is happening compared to what I wanted /expected and comparing  it to other schemes I have(they are all different!) But with some experiments combining dabbing f2 or keeping it 'on' I have achieved the effect Im happy with. As I ordinarily had it 'latched' ..this may help other users.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

IIRC the first bachy ones were 37671 RFD, 37419 EWS and 37431 intercity mainline using the dodgy shape . i had 37671 , long since sold on 

I thought my 37429 regional was in the first batch too. Could be wrong though!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/08/2022 at 12:57, tractor_37260 said:

IIRC one of the very first Bachmann 37's was BCC D6607/37403 Ben Cruachan in BR Green, the 37/0's with buffer shrouds then followed ?

According to Bachmann’s past products list, D6607/37403 Ben Cruachan was a 2002 Club limited edition, with the weathered D6717 with SYP following in 2004.

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

According to Bachmann’s past products list, D6607/37403 Ben Cruachan was a 2002 Club limited edition, with the weathered D6717 with SYP following in 2004.

That was my first ever club class 37 purchase. Basic by todays standards but mint and boxed. 👍

At last I've managed to fit the snow ploughs to one end of the new Bachmann 37 37422. What a difficult job this was. I've had to modify the snow plough and fix it to the buffer beam using a couple of pieces of brass rod. I'm pleased with the end result but it would have been much simpler if Bachmann had designed the fitting of the snow plough to both the bogie (via the NEM pocket) as well as a fixed installation to the buffer beam. I dislike the fitting of the plough to the NEM pocket, it looks strange when the snow plough moves around when the loco goes round a curve.

IMG_20220809_153422.jpg.8e288ff167af1278d37b7be80aefe697.jpg

Edited by Tony Walker
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2022 at 14:36, 40002 said:

After the experience of the Accurascale  Deltics, apart from bits falling off on one of them, the bogie chains are just plain badly thought out in my view, hence I have ordered the plain Blue Bachmann  even though its a bit more expensive. 

AS 37 has them attached to the chassis, the same as Bachmann's. AS' second run of Deltics will also have them fitted to the chassis.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Gary H said:

Bachmann 37 has them attached to the chassis, the same as Bachmann's. AS' second run of Deltics will also have them fitted to the chassis.

I think you meant to say that the Accurascale 37 has them attached to the chassis, the same as Bachmanns.

Sounds like 40002 has made a small error in judgement, that cost him more for less 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 55020 said:

I think you meant to say that the Accurascale 37 has them attached to the chassis, the same as Bachmanns.

Sounds like 40002 has made a small error in judgement, that cost him more for less 😉

Thanks for that fella, a senior moment!!😊

Now edited. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2022 at 11:54, Gary H said:

As it is, the MS450 is not NMRA compliant. Bachmann seem to have moved over to Zimo now. Why not have a drop down menu when purchasing- Zimo or ESU, no big deal you'd have thought!

Hi Gary,

Interested to know what is non compliant about the MS450. I have found Zimo drive control to be superior right out the box, whereas the ESU needs quite a bit of tweaking to get it silky smooth.

Neil.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, 55020 said:

No not really I'm quite happy with my choice, yes the AS Deltic is a lovely detailed model but may be a bit too fragile for my liking, for the version I want the Bachmann version should be available earlier, and when I pre ordered it a couple of weeks ago, I want a sound version and the AS 37 version appeared to be sold out on both the Accurascale website and Rails website, although its now showing available again on the Rails website which perhaps suggests some people may have changed their pre orders as a result of the Bachmann version being announced.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 40002 said:

No not really I'm quite happy with my choice, yes the AS Deltic is a lovely detailed model but may be a bit too fragile for my liking, for the version I want the Bachmann version should be available earlier, and when I pre ordered it a couple of weeks ago, I want a sound version and the AS 37 version appeared to be sold out on both the Accurascale website and Rails website, although its now showing available again on the Rails website which perhaps suggests some people may have changed their pre orders as a result of the Bachmann version being announced.

I’m sure that I’ll treat myself to more Bachmann 37s as they produce more variants, and with any luck, some sound fitted Accurascale 37043s will also become available as I missed the boat with these as I have only recently got into DCC and sound. 

Whilst I think my Bachmann 37430 is a great model, there’s a couple of glaring errors that need fixing - door handrails and the seam around the nose.  I’ve fixed the handrail issue and I’ll use thinned acrylic pre 85 BR yellow to reduce the seams. I’ve dislodged and had to reattach a chain whilst fitting the bufferbeam detail. On a £344 model!

Time will tell if the AS 37s have fewer bits come off in transit, but I do know they listen and take things on board, and they have been in the game for less time, Bachmann will have more experience with this, so this is reflected in the price to a degree.

I do wonder if Bachmann’s factory only have access to the numbers 0, 3, 4 and 7 in the right size for a large logo class 37? 😁

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Hi Gary,

Interested to know what is non compliant about the MS450. I have found Zimo drive control to be superior right out the box, whereas the ESU needs quite a bit of tweaking to get it silky smooth.

Neil.

Hi Neil, it wont consist!! You have to go into a particular CV that manages the consist address and input the consist address number you generated when you made up the consist. That's is the workaround that I found after doing some digging. Its all to do with the amount of packets that the DCC controller sends versus the amount the decoder is looking for hence it wont consist via conventional means. The previous Zimo that Bachmann were using, in the new tool Class 20 for example, didn't have this problem. 

Edited by Gary H
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Melton Works said:

I have already converted one of these large logo 37/4s to DRS Mary Queen of Scots. Here is a pic partway through the rework.... anyone interested in potentially purchasing it?

20220808_205957.jpg

Interesting. Have you done the front windscreen and nose modifications? Of course this is one that is not possible to do from the accurascale loco as it still has the bodyside windows.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Interesting. Have you done the front windscreen and nose modifications? Of course this is one that is not possible to do from the accurascale loco as it still has the bodyside windows.

Well I have fitted the DRS 32 pin socket next to the high intensity light, nose ariel's and altered the taillights to represent the LED versions. A set of PH Designs screen etched would finish it off nicely. I'm halfway through reworking one into Avro Vulcan and plan on doing 407. As you say, you cannot do these with the Accurascale 37s, with the lack of bodyside windows. Have 402, 409 and 423 pre ordered. Remembered that 401 never worked the Anglia Short Set, done too much to it to alter it, hence selling. 

Yes I like DRS 37s!

20220808_205651.jpg

Edited by Melton Works
Had made alterations
  • Like 4

Good evening,
I bought a class 37430 DCC Sound, this one doesn’t work... The axles of one of the two bogies seem stuck. I’m the only one who has a problem with this model. 🙄

Thank you for your help. 

Regards.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I never understand why people put there issues up on these pages before they have spoken to either their supplier or the manufacturers direct to see if it’s a simple issue or they rectify the issue, 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by younGGuns7
Edit
  • Agree 2