Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

29 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I might have missed this, but are the latest models not able to be fitted with Snowploughs?

I’ve not tried to but as I understand it you can fit ploughs into the NEM socket as per the previous generation but you can’t fit any of the detailing because they protrude quite far out. Others will correct me if I’m wrong. If I need to I will fit the excellent PH Designs etched ones but I’m holding out to assess the Accurascale ones to decide which model is best for plough fitting. The Bachmann model is the best 37 available to date (deliberately worded as I’ve not seen a finished Accurascale one yet) but I’d only commit to using it for none snowplough fitted locos at present. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

I’ve not tried to but as I understand it you can fit ploughs into the NEM socket as per the previous generation but you can’t fit any of the detailing because they protrude quite far out. Others will correct me if I’m wrong. If I need to I will fit the excellent PH Designs etched ones but I’m holding out to assess the Accurascale ones to decide which model is best for plough fitting. The Bachmann model is the best 37 available to date (deliberately worded as I’ve not seen a finished Accurascale one yet) but I’d only commit to using it for none snowplough fitted locos at present. 

I can’t say for 37 as not got one yet for same reasons as you - but on the 47 one way to fit the ploughs is to remove the NEM socket and hook the plough using its swallow tail direct into the NEM mount point on the bogie. This gets the plough more or less where it should be albeit still bogie mounted - but with a bit of gentle bending on pipes allows both pipes and plough to work together.

altogether though the ploughs on these latest gen releases are a real disappointment to me - on the 47 the look is akin to me when I was a teenager before years of braces pulled my teeth back to a more normal position…

• Funny 2

On 20/11/2022 at 10:05, Module00 said:

I received the class 37012 from KMRC new generation last Friday, and as for the first 37430 I am disappointed. The 37430 has returned to the dealer (bent drive shaft) the second received is better but not extraordinary. 

I find it complicated to undo the body, and when the sound is not on, the motor and bearing noise is not smooth. Difficult to access the internal elements. 

On the two models, the loudspeaker creaks and vibrates the body, giving a disappointing sound. on the two models at my disposal. I changed the intensity to reduce this inconvenienceAesthetically, they are very well, but I am disappointed with the operation. I'm waiting for the 37034 transformed into 37033 by TMC at my request... Maybe it's youthful mistakes, well I hope so.

Class 37012_3.jpg

Class 37012_4.jpg

Class 37012_2.jpg

class 37012_1.jpg

Sorry to hear that 430 isn’t very good. It’s a shame you are so far away and posting is probably a lot as for the price these things should be perfect !

Ive always found Bachmann diesels very variable in their performance - some of my 47s are very noisy 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Slandteacher said:

TMC have 37430 Cwmbran on offer for 146.98 delivered as part of their Black Friday deal if anyone is interested. 

I did see that earlier but seems to be back at the normal price now. Was surprised that was in there so maybe it was a mistake?

• RMweb Gold

Ive had TMC “make a mistake” on pricing several times in the past, somewhere between a day and 2 weeks later, I get an email saying “really sorry we cannot sell for that price”, blaming staff, and an offer to pay up the difference, followed be a begrudged refund a week or so later.

I treat TMCs with caution having been burned on other items in the past too.

Collets are offering £174 however..

https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Bachmann-branchline-35-335-class-37-4-refurbished-37430-cwmbran-br-blue-large-logo-oo-gauge/

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Ironically wish if od known Bachmann were gonig to Re-tool this model, 37043 would be ideal for "37104" their Railfreight general model, albeit a full respray and removal of the car headlamp

Has anyone got the model of 37043 and can share any pictures?

NL

37043 would also require the BB cowels removed and the early glass split boxes converted to the later plated over type.

Edited by tractor_37260
Oops confused 034 with 043 !

On 21/11/2022 at 23:38, tyl59 said:

Just received and tested my SFX 37418 from Kernow, lovers model and the detail is perfect, fuel tanks look parallel to me.

The sound on the other hand is awful. Sounds like something the Red Box Manufacturer would do with Toy Town Sound. The horns are pathetic, being a short blip when the loco is stationary and similar to a Toy Town Sound chip when moving. The  vibration seems to be from a plate between the 28mm speaker and the PCB. This should be sealed!

Ive programmed it and sat it on the track and without pressing anything the loco started up on its own and then refused to be quiet while being on the track, I’ve had this issue before, funnily enough on a Bachmann 158 also Zimo but never on an ESU decoder.

Like you, I am terribly disappointed by the sound produced by the locomotive. The choice of zimo is a major mistake for Bachmann. I also don't like the sound the motor makes when there is no sound. And indeed, at times the decoder behaves randomly.

19 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Ironically wish if od known Bachmann were gonig to Re-tool this model, 37043 would be ideal for "37104" their Railfreight general model, albeit a full respray and removal of the car headlamp

Has anyone got the model of 37043 and can share any pictures?

NL

It’s got the wrong roof too for 104. 

On 22/11/2022 at 16:59, rob D2 said:

Sorry to hear that 430 isn’t very good. It’s a shame you are so far away and posting is probably a lot as for the price these things should be perfect !

Ive always found Bachmann diesels very variable in their performance - some of my 47s are very noisy 

unfortunately I already have a third on order, but it will be the last. I hope that the model from Accurascale will be up to it! Otherwise I would keep my Bachmann models of the old generation. I prefer a slightly less detailed model that works perfectly with quality sound than this model that has this price is a huge disappointment. 😩

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Module00 said:

Like you, I am terribly disappointed by the sound produced by the locomotive. The choice of zimo is a major mistake for Bachmann. I also don't like the sound the motor makes when there is no sound. And indeed, at times the decoder behaves randomly.

It is ironic that there were a number of posts on the Accurascale Deltic thread saying that AS should have fitted Zimo, and here we have the opposite comments being made.

My take is that both ESU and Zimo produce quality decoders, however if the programming of the decoder and the sound files themselves are not done to the highest quality then the end result may be disappointing.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, 55020 said:

My take is that both ESU and Zimo produce quality decoders, however if the programming of the decoder and the sound files themselves are not done to the highest quality then the end result may be disappointing.

They are probably the best two makes of decoder, but people have their preferences between them. I am on the ESU side of the table and I don't by anything sound fitted if it hasn't got ESU in it, mostly because I want programming commonality and like the function mapping on ESU rather than anything against Zimo as such.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The most important factor in achieving decent sound reproduction is the selection and installation of the most appropriate speaker. There is no one size fits all solution and sound files are not always configured to work with what May otherwise be considered the best speaker.

I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to be sure but I suspect the recording and configuration of the sound files is the next most important factor …. With the chip having the least effect as long as it has the capability to support the sound file structures. 

I have locos of the same model with the same chip and sound file whose sound output varies greatly based on speaker installation.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Spotted in the Bachmann cabinet today….

39BA40CC-243E-42AF-84D7-DDB850F7CEED.jpeg.1aed3be231e74015672c53d59f0938be.jpeg

oooh yes !

there’s very few that fit this but three of them were Inverness legends… so far never been modelled properly…

Round buffers, exposed skirt and highland headlight.. 

Much time spent on Inverness, Wick, Thurso and Kyle steam heat services and later freight. 

37260 Radio Highland 

37260 Dingwall

(Flickr URL/not mine)

the only one to wear plain Blue in this condition, named, I recall

37261 Caithness

Nearing the top.

(Flickr URL/Not mine)

37262 Dounreay 

Late runner to London

(Flickr URL/Not mine)… I was onboard this train which broke the snowdrifts and put the 158’s out of action ! - Just look at the snow build up on the cab door! as well as the ice down the tanks/bogies.

The highland mainline had been blocked by snow and saw 158’s stranded. This day saw 158’s and 156’s split, with 1 car from each combined, as 156’s had ploughs and 158’s did not. This required the units to be turned on the triangle at Inverness for the southbound working.

The alternative was an embarrassing reduced timetable as the 158’s would have to be removed from service, only months after introduction.. but by this stage the stock and 37’s/47’s had gone down south… 37262 and an 08 were the only 2 locos on shed… a pair of 26s took ploughs north and D5394 (Strathspey 27) was given permission to clear tracks around Aviemore.

incidentally I was told (unverified) the large round buffers were retained for the propelling shunt moves on passenger stock at Georgemas when recombining Wick /Thurso portions to go to Inverness.

37263 was also regular at Inverness, with headlight at the right lamp iron, but with oval buffers.

37264 had ovals and the car headlight moved between Mar -April 1985 from the top bracket position, to the more usual centre bottom, but was still a car headlight.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1