Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to buy a 37043 and the price of £180 was agreeable but a huge dissapointment as this loco has the most awful racket when running.  Before I return it does anyone know if it's a quick fix or not?

i will try and upload a video 

thanks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2makEjZlZg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GD said:

I decided to buy a 37043 and the price of £180 was agreeable but a huge dissapointment as this loco has the most awful racket when running.  Before I return it does anyone know if it's a quick fix or not?

i will try and upload a video 

thanks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2makEjZlZg

Yikes, that does not sound healthy at all.  Are all the wheels turning, as it sounds a bit like one of the motor drive shafts is rotating in or near to its socket?

Steve

Edited by 55020

1 hour ago, 55020 said:

Yikes, that does not sound healthy at all.  Are all the wheels turning, as it sounds a bit like one of the motor drive shafts is rotating in or near to its socket?

Steve

Hi, definately not healthy!  The wheels all turn but holding the wheels firm the motor still spins if I have explained that well? 

On track if i cut the power it stops dead with a click. The drive shafts seem to be fitted correctly but i'm not taking the body off in case the warranty is voided but yes, a strange one, seems the noise is from the no2 end of the motor and drive shaft. 

• RMweb Gold

It may be that the drive shaft cups are not secured within the fly wheels… have seen this before on Bachmann warships. Enough power is transmitted to drive the wheels until any load is applied.  Requires complete disassembly to rectify so if not confident suggest returning under warranty. 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

It may be that the drive shaft cups are not secured within the fly wheels… have seen this before on Bachmann warships. Enough power is transmitted to drive the wheels until any load is applied.  Requires complete disassembly to rectify so if not confident suggest returning under warranty. 

Thanks for your advice, that could be it, it has little pulling power as if somethings slipping. 

It will have to go back, shame because its a lovely model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GD said:

Thanks for your advice, that could be it, it has little pulling power as if somethings slipping. 

It will have to go back, shame because its a lovely model.

That’s a pain isnt it! For future reference if it recurs on a model out of warranty the cardan shaft drive cups are just a push fit in the fly wheels … removing them and refitting with a small dab of superglue behind the cup, taking care not to contaminate the cardan shaft locating slots, will sort the problem.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, RBC said:

Re Large Logo 37430, is it a straightforward candidate for an Eastfield/WHL renumber ?

Am I correct in saying 430 was never fitted with a nose aerial ?

No it got a nose aerial in its large logo days. I’d say reasonably straightforward - 401 is the obvious one to pick - or any other with the centrally mounted lamp bracket. Flickr is your friend to hunt them down :-)

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 12:11, GD said:

most awful racket when running.

I had an issue on mine where the capping over the worm gear to hold it into the top of the bogie wasn't clicked on properly. Would move but hadn't much in the way of tractive effort and the moment it ran out of pulling power made an absolute din. Didn't take much sorting out but between that and the faff of making the snowplough work with the detail pack it did tarnish the loco slightly in my eyes.

• Like 1

A few shots of my tarted up Bachmann tractor to be done as 37114 in EWS:

41B0C4BE-A0BD-41E7-999C-08A9D0F6A47F.jpeg.f0ab1d8e09715fb286ecdf62c71d9dad.jpeg

24C2AE1F-9DBB-4D66-A9B7-508829291027.jpeg.8d14e84d4285ec22bc238821e43f3358.jpeg

F2BC96D2-B3A9-4E0B-BE1E-1CAE537811D2.jpeg.56d85b86326119fb218b14242eb0a6e0.jpeg

A full list of mods can be found on my workbench thread, but in terms of providing a basis for the ultimate 4mm tractor, I don’t think you’ll beat this model.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

That's like red rag to a bull for Accurascale! I'm excited to see theirs. 

Having studied 37s for hours to try and come up with a list of detailing/improvements, there’s certainly pros and cons of each model (I posted my thoughts on the DEMU forum for anyone interested).

The biggest factor for me is the windscreens, which is indisputable that Bachmann have nailed and the other forthcoming model clearly hasn’t. Having fitted Shawplan etched screens to the old generation tractor, I’m pleased to not have to do this on the Bachmann model and more than anything prepared to pay the extra to not have to do this mod, which I can’t say I wouldn’t have to do on the Accurascale model.

@Daddyman did a very inspirational thread a few years ago improving the old model, and I think he has also come to the same conclusion that the new generation Bachmann tractor is streets ahead in this area.

Once Brian has finished doing the LaserGlaze I think this’ll show the biggest difference. 

At the end of the day you need to compare the models with the prototype, using a critical eye, and choose the features that are most important for you. For me it’s the windscreens all day long, everything else in terms of detailing can be fixed with a bit of the M word!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

No it got a nose aerial in its large logo days. I’d say reasonably straightforward - 401 is the obvious one to pick - or any other with the centrally mounted lamp bracket. Flickr is your friend to hunt them down :-)

Many thanks for that.

I should have said I had browsed through Flickr and couldn't see this loco with the aerial, link below from the early 80's.

Any pics of the Bachmann loco also shows no aerial although I wasn't sure if this was to be added from the detail pack. I've just managed to look at a review on youtube and there was a close up of the nose and I couldn't see a hole for the aerial.

37430_SBJ_08_08_87

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Southwich said:

A few shots of my tarted up Bachmann tractor to be done as 37114 in EWS:

A full list of mods can be found on my workbench thread, but in terms of providing a basis for the ultimate 4mm tractor, I don’t think you’ll beat this model.

Kind regards,

Will

Looking really impressive there Will, in particular it does show how much of a difference fixing the Bachmann model's biggest weakness (the gap between nose and body) makes.  With no paint on the model the windscreen area just looks another level compared with Accurascale's approach (yes I am comparing pre production with production, but frankly I cant see there being a material difference in the fit using a separate part in the way they have.  Otherwise why keep showing off photos of models which frankly dont look as good as the competition in that area.)  

All in all, its good to have a choice of base model to work from (and I would say that the "best" 37 out of the box is still out there, now if you could combine Bachmanns windscreen and Accurascale's nose........   There is a part of me that is really curious to see what can be done with the Accurascale model and a set of Brian's windscreen etches, then on the same logic there's a part of me that wants to take the new Bachmann model and a set of my printed nose grills to do 672...   Must resist!

As an aside, not entirely sure what can be found in Will's post that's funny...

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

I am very pleased with the latest Bachmann 37. Here’s one that’s had a repaint. 

A271A5AB-9F22-4C0B-93FC-568DE32D7CC5.jpeg

5AFDB1B5-20CB-4263-A0A2-AD29F5DEACE8.jpeg

I saw @cairnsroadworks had done this on Instagram - looks really good! Love the diorama too

The black surround on the cab front shows off my point exactly, just how well Bachmann have captured this distinct feature of the loco. I think some LaserGlaze from Brian would finish it off nicely!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Southwich said:

I saw @cairnsroadworks had done this on Instagram - looks really good! Love the diorama too

The black surround on the cab front shows off my point exactly, just how well Bachmann have captured this distinct feature of the loco. I think some LaserGlaze from Brian would finish it off nicely!

Kind regards,

Will

I do not like the new glazing. In the pic I took of this one you can see the purple reflection on the nose. 

I’m waiting to see the AS model before passing definitive judgement. The windscreens on the Bachmann one are off the scale - understand a lot of work went in to get them so - will be interesting to see what the AS ones look like. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, RBC said:

Many thanks for that.

I should have said I had browsed through Flickr and couldn't see this loco with the aerial, link below from the early 80's.

Any pics of the Bachmann loco also shows no aerial although I wasn't sure if this was to be added from the detail pack. I've just managed to look at a review on youtube and there was a close up of the nose and I couldn't see a hole for the aerial.

37430_SBJ_08_08_87

There is no aerial hole on the nose with 430. Haven’t checked the model of 423 I have here. 

I thought of another large logo tractor you could do from 430 easily - 422. 

Andi. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

1 hour ago, cairnsroadworks said:

I do not like the new glazing. In the pic I took of this one you can see the purple reflection on the nose. 

I’m waiting to see the AS model before passing definitive judgement. The windscreens on the Bachmann one are off the scale - understand a lot of work went in to get them so - will be interesting to see what the AS ones look like. 

I’m impressed with the windscreens on the Bachmann 37 and also have a couple of Accurascale 37s ones on order. The proof of the pudding on the latter will be seeing how they look with the Shawplan frames overlaid as reference.

The Heavy Tractor Group prototype seems to have the edge when compared to the decorated samples, and the recessed portion of the screen is a separate moulding on the AS one, so it is possible that a few tweaks may my find their way onto the production batch. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My concern is that we will not see what A/S have done with the window frames until we have the models in our hands, or someone posts photos of their actual purchase on here - by which time it will be too late. The deltics looked fine on the website, but when mine arrived the windscreen etches had tabs left on them, and looked like they'd been stuck on by a first timer (the replacement was no better). So I'm all in for Bachmann (not words I use lightly) and have four 37s now. The nose seam is not ideal but only visible on LL models. The model needs replacement glazing and roof grille and re-seating of the fuel tanks at the correct height, but then the A/S model looks like it will need all those three jobs doing anyway - plus the windscreens, and I'm too old for that @#*&. I've had two A/S on order for years but I'll either lose my deposit on them or sell them on; I don't want a fleet of mixed parentage - I think it would look odd. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Southwich said:

Having studied 37s for hours to try and come up with a list of detailing/improvements, there’s certainly pros and cons of each model (I posted my thoughts on the DEMU forum for anyone interested).

The biggest factor for me is the windscreens, which is indisputable that Bachmann have nailed and the other forthcoming model clearly hasn’t. Having fitted Shawplan etched screens to the old generation tractor, I’m pleased to not have to do this on the Bachmann model and more than anything prepared to pay the extra to not have to do this mod, which I can’t say I wouldn’t have to do on the Accurascale model.

@Daddyman did a very inspirational thread a few years ago improving the old model, and I think he has also come to the same conclusion that the new generation Bachmann tractor is streets ahead in this area.

Once Brian has finished doing the LaserGlaze I think this’ll show the biggest difference. 

At the end of the day you need to compare the models with the prototype, using a critical eye, and choose the features that are most important for you. For me it’s the windscreens all day long, everything else in terms of detailing can be fixed with a bit of the M word!

Kind regards,

Will

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Bachmann model, having bought 37034 and being very impressed with it.

Modelling banger blue with full yellow ends, the nose seam doesn't bother me one bit.

Cameron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

My concern is that we will not see what A/S have done with the window frames until we have the models in our hands

1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

The nose seam is not ideal but only visible on LL models.

That's the thing that people seem to forget.

It "seams" that people are forgetting that the AS model has the entire windscreen area as an insert. To me, there isn't a right or wrong, both are compromises that will be noticeable on the model.

I do however hope my AS 37s take less getting looking and running right than my 37418 did. I probably won't have any more Bachmann ones until the AS ones turn up.

People aren’t forgetting it…….

Bachmann have got the windscreen spot on in my view whereas the other one looks wrong in a number of areas around the windscreen and the fit on all samples I have seen is poor.  This one is from Warley. Of course the old “it’s a hand made” sample defence will likely be trotted out but this late in the day I’d expect a bang on production sample. So, I have to say I agree with Daddyman.

33DAAD9F-8BA4-45A1-8E60-127A1F96471D.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1