Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

On 20/03/2023 at 14:05, Southwich said:

DFA6B641-0CC1-42B4-9701-8CFEB1CE1400.jpeg.5791dc87ff890eea4b73c32d86f73cba.jpeg

81F46EA4-FF65-4634-8A7D-BD567B32AFED.jpeg.4ea080720c9768e9ba037b07952db974.jpeg

Busy morning at work this morning…

Latest tractor fitted with Brian’s latest LaserGlaze. Sharpie’d edges and Glue & Glaze made light work of the task. Well worth the effort and shows just how good the new tooling is. 2 more painted ones to go…

Kind regards,

Will

Very nice, Will. That really looks the part. Have yet to take the plunge with a new Bachmann 37, mainly being put off by the price and the apparent difficulty of fitting snowploughs to them. That certainly looks worth the effort you've put into it though.

It's the wrong colour though of course. It should be Large Logo. 😜

Hope all is well.

Cheers

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/03/2023 at 06:54, 97406 said:

I'm taking the plunge with my 37430, though only planning to fit the Laserglaze to the cab windscreens. One thing to beware of when removing the body is to be gentle with removing the JP2 plug in the nose ends as despite careful (or so I thought) leverage of the plug from the socket, the socket came away from the PCB. I glued the base back in, resoldered with a fine tip on the iron and then reinforced the mounting with more superglue and activator away from any soldered connectors. Tested it and it works.

The existing windscreens were well glued in on mine, so ran a small craft knife between the screens and the bodyshell and pushed them in with a blunt instrument after they had loosened.

It's a pricy model to break though which is what puts me off getting any more at the moment, though will keep a keen eye out for any discounted ones on offer.

image.png.4a7c2f0bc405b5d5d65b642f91f10f85.png

I had the same problem with the socket and had to re-solder back in place. I am re-working my 37430 to HNRC 37405 and, as usual with Bachmann 37 and 47, the snowplough arrangement is useless should you want to detail buffer beam! I am in the process of preparing a Pete Harvey etched plough to fit behind the buffer beam.

should not have to do this on a model that sells at this price!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I had the same problem with the socket and had to re-solder back in place. I am re-working my 37430 to HNRC 37405 and, as usual with Bachmann 37 and 47, the snowplough arrangement is useless should you want to detail buffer beam! I am in the process of preparing a Pete Harvey etched plough to fit behind the buffer beam.

For a class which carried the snowploughs quite so frequently you'd think there would be a better solution out the box

• Agree 1

On 20/03/2023 at 14:05, Southwich said:

DFA6B641-0CC1-42B4-9701-8CFEB1CE1400.jpeg.5791dc87ff890eea4b73c32d86f73cba.jpeg

81F46EA4-FF65-4634-8A7D-BD567B32AFED.jpeg.4ea080720c9768e9ba037b07952db974.jpeg

Busy morning at work this morning…

Latest tractor fitted with Brian’s latest LaserGlaze. Sharpie’d edges and Glue & Glaze made light work of the task. Well worth the effort and shows just how good the new tooling is. 2 more painted ones to go…

Kind regards,

Will

That looks excellent Will. I shall have to try and get some laserglaze off Brian for my D6829 when it arrives.  

Bachmann have done a really good job capturing the face of the 37s. They just look right (to me at least), they've got the right 'expression'; unlike the other new 37 which somehow doesn't.

Justin  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There were a few times I felt I was coming close to ruining the model. A bitter pill to swallow given the price.

I’d have had treated myself to a couple more out of both batches, too if they were cheaper. I would have gone for 37043 but it’s in the bag from Accurascale. A plain Banger Blue one with cutaway bufferbeams would have hit the spot.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I had the same problem with the socket and had to re-solder back in place.

After it came away the second time, I added a couple of little blobs of epoxy on either side of the socket to hopefully keep it in place. I also filed the plastic sides of the plug down a tad as well.

ACF7DB7F-8EC4-4F96-9399-C63B7A6FC658.jpeg.9fa96a4900fc0efba4ea294c973eb9b0.jpeg

Double glazing - second new Bachmann 37 glazed over the last few days with the slightly larger glazing which now looks spot on on 37401. Windows need a clean but very pleased with this

On 23/03/2023 at 09:27, Waverley West said:

Very nice, Will. That really looks the part. Have yet to take the plunge with a new Bachmann 37, mainly being put off by the price and the apparent difficulty of fitting snowploughs to them. That certainly looks worth the effort you've put into it though.

It's the wrong colour though of course. It should be Large Logo. 😜

Hope all is well.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave - Large Logo tractor next to be 37425 and then all three will have the smaller details fitted. I’ve gone with Pete Harvey’s etched ploughs which I think is a must fit for their finesse.

On 23/03/2023 at 13:10, jjnewitt said:

That looks excellent Will. I shall have to try and get some laserglaze off Brian for my D6829 when it arrives.  

Bachmann have done a really good job capturing the face of the 37s. They just look right (to me at least), they've got the right 'expression'; unlike the other new 37 which somehow doesn't.

Justin  

Thanks for your kind words Justin - completely agree with your comment. Well worth the LaserGlaze as you’ll never get that level of glazing under factory conditions.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2023 at 13:10, jjnewitt said:

Justin  

I think there will be a quick and easy fix for the screens on the other 37 so the inner recessed portion sits in its surround a little flusher, assuming it hasn't already been rectified during final assembly after feedback on the first production samples. It looks like we will have 2 very good models to play with soon!

image.png.f52376935a5c1d459ebf4199c8ec089b.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 13:27, Southwich said:

Thanks for your kind words Justin - completely agree with your comment. Well worth the LaserGlaze as you’ll never get that level of glazing under factory conditions.

Given the price of the models these days and striving for minute details elsewhere, is lazerglaze quality glazing really so difficult to achieve RTR? I think its one of the most visible parts of the model and generally one where any prismatic effect really makes it stand out as a 'model' rather than realistic

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GordonC said:

Given the price of the models these days and striving for minute details elsewhere, is lazerglaze quality glazing really so difficult to achieve RTR? I think its one of the most visible parts of the model and generally one where any prismatic effect really makes it stand out as a 'model' rather than realistic

I would say that it is possible to do very good glazing these days. An example of this is perhaps the SLW 24 https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/upgraded-slw-sulzer-class-24-oo-gauge

ETA I would argue the glazing in the screen grab of the deco samples I posted above looks quite good too.

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GordonC said:

Yes , I dont get it . Is thin plastic sheet much more expensive than thick stuff ? Is it more costly and time consuming to fit ?

Its the glazing and snowploughs which turn  me off the new 37 

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Yes , I dont get it . Is thin plastic sheet much more expensive than thick stuff ? Is it more costly and time consuming to fit ?

Its the glazing and snowploughs which turn  me off the new 37 

it is a lot more costly to fit as each individual window needs to be glued in separately.  It also takes more care than just fitting a standard window from behind 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

End of the day, if it was cost efficient to use laser glazing in RTR models they would be doing it.  

that said, I would say Bachmann’s efforts do leave rather a lot to be desired and others have made a better job of tooling small window glazing 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

End of the day, if it was cost efficient to use laser glazing in RTR models they would be doing it.  

that said, I would say Bachmann’s efforts do leave rather a lot to be desired and others have made a better job of tooling small window glazing 

I dont think anyone is suggesting it'd be more cost-efficient to use laser glazing, but that the end result would be worth the additional cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

I dont think anyone is suggesting it'd be more cost-efficient to use laser glazing, but that the end result would be worth the additional cost.

I suppose it depends on how long it takes to make and fasten in. Is it going to be £5 or £25 difference?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I suppose it depends on how long it takes to make and fasten in. Is it going to be £5 or £25 difference?

And how well such individually fitted panes survive transport from Chine to Coalviille, Coalville to retailers and finally their robustness in the hands of the average modeler. My view is that Lazer Glaze isnt suited to mass production and whilst recent models from other manufacters have bettered Bachmann glazing in some respects I have no issue overall with what is currently provided. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Anyone who has used Laserglaze will know how good their loco's looks after using it .

But , as everyone who has used it knows , they have to be so, so careful with their models thereafter .

Lazerglaze isn't shock proof and I could imagine several complaints about missing / loose/ broken window panels being lodged .

Better to have the ' normal 'stuff in and , if you don't like it , then change it to  lazerglaze .

We are modellers after all ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

Anyone who has used Laserglaze will know how good their loco's looks after using it .

But , as everyone who has used it knows , they have to be so, so careful with their models thereafter .

Lazerglaze isn't shock proof and I could imagine several complaints about missing / loose/ broken window panels being lodged .

Better to have the ' normal 'stuff in and , if you don't like it , then change it to  lazerglaze .

We are modellers after all ;)

The acrylic varnish I use provides a very strong bond once it's cured. I'm guessing Glue and Glaze is something similar. The windows can be removed if need be, but it requires firm pressure from behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

The acrylic varnish I use provides a very strong bond once it's cured. I'm guessing Glue and Glaze is something similar. The windows can be removed if need be, but it requires firm pressure from behind.

Good to know 

Up to now , I've used Krystal Klear.

On 25/03/2023 at 13:27, Southwich said:

ACF7DB7F-8EC4-4F96-9399-C63B7A6FC658.jpeg.9fa96a4900fc0efba4ea294c973eb9b0.jpeg

Double glazing - second new Bachmann 37 glazed over the last few days with the slightly larger glazing which now looks spot on on 37401. Windows need a clean but very pleased with this

Thanks Dave - Large Logo tractor next to be 37425 and then all three will have the smaller details fitted. I’ve gone with Pete Harvey’s etched ploughs which I think is a must fit for their finesse.

Kind regards,

Will

This makes a huge difference and is the first time I have actually seen a 37 in model form that seems to capture the cab windows correct. Amazing what adding Lazerglaze can do!

58 minutes ago, Melton Works said:

I wonder if Bachmann will ever do one of these?...

Seemed to generate some interest, when I recently sold on Ebay.

I think it's like marmite, you either love it or hate it?!

20230315_170017.jpg

Snap - your orange looks lighter than mine, could be the daylight!

255F7B9F-B84F-4FD1-BCFB-C52D9A46BFF8.jpeg

• Like 4