Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

I mean Bachmann have only released one modern one (2011+) and I’ve bought it, I’ll wait and see when they get round to doing some more for my era! Meanwhile there’s larger boxes with 37’s in everywhere because they’ve hit my era!

On 11/12/2023 at 17:06, GordonC said:

I dont think that'll be the last of big reductions we've seen. I think there's too much stock on the market sitting around on shelves in general so I wouldn't be surprised if there were more big sales sooner or later

Bachmann have announced second runs of the "popular" 37043, 37401 and 37423 as part of the latest quarterly announcement, so I look forward to picking up a bargain basement priced 37401 sometime next year when there are fewer demands on my wallet.

The feeling I've had since the new model was released, from viewing examples at DEMU Showcase last year and watching occasional Ebay auction prices since, is that there isn't enough to differentiate this model from previous iterations of the (already very good) Bachmann 37 in the marketplace and justify the premium RRP that it originally commanded.

15 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Bachmann have announced second runs of the "popular" 37043, 37401 and 37423 as part of the latest quarterly announcement, so I look forward to picking up a bargain basement priced 37401 sometime next year when there are fewer demands on my wallet.

The feeling I've had since the new model was released, from viewing examples at DEMU Showcase last year and watching occasional Ebay auction prices since, is that there isn't enough to differentiate this model from previous iterations of the (already very good) Bachmann 37 in the marketplace and justify the premium RRP that it originally commanded.

It seems very odd to repeat those exact same numbers - especially 37043 when it was already the same as the Accurascale release. Those 3 were included in the 50% off offer and disappeared rapidly

1 minute ago, GordonC said:

It seems very odd to repeat those exact same numbers - especially 37043 when it was already the same as the Accurascale release. Those 3 were included in the 50% off offer and disappeared rapidly

There are still six Non-DCC examples of 37401 available - that version seemed to start from the highest number in stock at the beginning of the week, suggesting the slowest sales of the three overall.

Agreed regarding 37043 - there must be a lot of layouts across the country now featuring that particular loco, from either manufacturer! (Disregarding any that have been renumbered)

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Are you sure? I don’t recall seeing that anywhere. Re-runs are pretty rare from Bachmann and as others have said these models seem to have been slow sellers.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Are you sure? I don’t recall seeing that anywhere. Re-runs are pretty rare from Bachmann and as others have said these models seem to have been slow sellers.

Yes, it's mentioned 1 minute into the Youtube video for the Bachmann Quarterly Winter release: "We've also received further supplies of three popular 37s from our initial selection".

Took me by surprise, given that one is an Accurascale duplicate and the other two, as noted, seem to have only sold slowly.

Bachmann37rerun.png.688e2b4144331d91ceb456eb59f801b4.png

Edited by Cruachan

2 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Yes, it's mentioned 1 minute into the Youtube video for the Bachmann Quarterly Winter release: "We've also received further supplies of three popular 37s from our initial selection".

If they'd been careful with picking alternative names/numbers to match the tooling details (and perhaps changed railfreight logo on the 37423) then I would have thought they could have sold many more more easily

Edited by GordonC

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

All 3 of which were included in Model Railways Direct's sale, which makes it seem all the more strange to be selling them so cheaply.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, GordonC said:

If they'd been careful with picking alternative names/numbers to match the tooling details (and perhaps changed railfreight logo on the 37423) then I would have thought they could have sold many more more easily

Yeah, I don’t get why they didn’t go for renumbering them. Plenty of similar ones to choose from, except possibly the Railfreight one as it had different treatment around the cab windscreens and doors to the standard sector livery.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Took me by surprise, given that one is an Accurascale duplicate and the other two, as noted, seem to have only sold slowly.

I took that to mean that the factory didn't ship the full production run at the same time and these are the "rest" that didn't make the original container. IIRC some of the 117 DMUs (sound fitted ones?) were shipping separately from the main batch. Like others have said, I can't see Bachmann doing another production run of the same locos and certainly not to appear so soon after the first.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, brushman47544 said:

I took that to mean that the factory didn't ship the full production run at the same time and these are the "rest" that didn't make the original container. IIRC some of the 117 DMUs (sound fitted ones?) were shipping separately from the main batch. Like others have said, I can't see Bachmann doing another production run of the same locos and certainly not to appear so soon after the first.

I just wondered that and up popped you post. That’s a definite possibility.

4 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I did wonder whether that might be the case, given such a rapid "follow up". Either way, it's a fresh batch of locos that already only seem to sell when significantly reduced in price.

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruachan said:

The market for superdetail models is quite specific and can only absorb so much - I don't think it's just down to people 'holding back' but simply down to so much 37 product having been shipped in the past year.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The market for superdetail models is quite specific and can only absorb so much - I don't think it's just down to people 'holding back' but simply down to so much 37 product having been shipped in the past year.

That's a fair point - The OO market has been fairly awash with shiny new class 37s over the past twelve months or so, and people's wallets will only stretch so far when faced with so much choice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

It must have been quite a delay to part of the batch, I bought a 37401 in February and think they were fairly recently out then. Surely they must have received more containers from China in that time

The MRD sale seemed to have rather large quantity of each item… makes me wonder whether Bachmann offloaded them cheap to MRD to sell heavily discounted?  I don’t know how large an outfit MRD are but to have 10s of slow selling 37s in their stock would have been a big misjudgment of demand.  Me thinks this was a warehouse clearance. There have been implied similar instances before and I can’t help but wonder whether we may see the same on 47s soon?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GordonC said:

It must have been quite a delay to part of the batch, I bought a 37401 in February and think they were fairly recently out then. Surely they must have received more containers from China in that time

37401 was announced at the start of August last year, came into stock around mid-November I think.

4 hours ago, GordonC said:

which would make a year delay on a part-production batch reaching the UK? Its possible, but I'd be surprised

Or could Bachmann have had unopened pallets at the back of the warehouse as orders weren’t as expected - after a while they “relaunched “ them to try shift them?  I’m sad that these models aren’t selling well as likely to result in less new releases in future - they are a nice bit of kit (snowploughs aside). I think these models ARE a significant improvement on the old Bachmann 37 (more so than 47 was vs old Bach model) but have arrived on the market at the wrong time with AS’s competition and people’s finances being a little tighter probably.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Matt said:

a significant improvement on the old Bachmann 37 (more so than 47 was vs old Bach model) but have arrived on the market at the wrong time with AS’s competition and people’s finances being a little tighter probably.

Significantly better than the Accurascale one as well….

I wonder how much of this is down to the livery / body choices that they’ve been doing not matching up with what people actually want.   Isn’t it only two liveries released for people modelling post privatisation (colas and the collectors club EWS), no freight refurbs, no heavyweights, no flush fronts etc

It also doesn’t help Bachmanns sales that Accurascale have been a lot more effective at marketing their product.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Stand AS's 37001 & Bachmann's 37034 next to each other and they are equally as good - performance wise (on DC) close as makes any odds - £122 is an absolute bargain for the Bachmann 37's IMHO.

We are lucky to have such choice and abundance - remember when this all we had 😲

R751.jpg.ac58993c47cd0397437be880bd449057.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

27 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Stand AS's 37001 & Bachmann's 37034 next to each other and they are equally as good - performance wise (on DC) close as makes any odds - £122 is an absolute bargain for the Bachmann 37's IMHO.

We are lucky to have such choice and abundance - remember when 😲

R751.jpg.ac58993c47cd0397437be880bd449057.jpg

I have fond memories of my lima 37s but times move on and I don't own any anymore. 

It's probably just a case of a bit of saturation of models causing a dip in prices. Maybe also some overstocking by individual shops as there's more offers around atm extending beyond Bachmann.

Accurascale definitely have the better marketing of the two manufacturers and perhaps the model of pre-ordering works better to maintain prices and assess demand. 

Maybe it's as simple as people are just enjoying their older models more too. I know i am.... and I have too many anyway so will be moving alot of mine on and I'm not looking to replace. I get the feeling I'm not alone. 

Although i wouldnt mind a Bachmann 37/6 ;)  Specifically some St Blazey ones.... 

• Like 1