Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Loch Nevis & Ranochan modular West Highland

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

A quattro on the west coast? Must be a sassanach from Glasgow or Edinburgh or further south!!  Even today the nearest dealer is Glasgow or Perth.

Just caught up with this interesting project, it's an area I've been to many times. Catching ferries to work in the outer Hebrides from Oban or Mallaig .  Some what wetter area than when working near Sailisbury.

I shall make a point of following this thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, TheQ said:

A quattro on the west coast? Must be a sassanach from Glasgow or Edinburgh or further south!!  Even today the nearest dealer is Glasgow or Perth.

My idea is to have the Quattro maybe at the end of long black rubber marks on the ferry slip with them staring after some miscreant on the ferry . . 😆

©️Kudos TV / BBC Wales (Ashes to Ashes)

CC921D7B-1EAF-4C36-A972-4A2AA1EEC8D9.jpeg.7693f005390fa1f381c93906900cdda8.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Slightly redesigned Ranochan as it’s on the Mallaig extension it really needs to be a more conventional between the platforms style. 

8BEB7AE4-6FAE-4624-AE79-45C07FAEA556.jpeg.50a7f8be162646bf54c61dbe901ebc02.jpeg

EDD89DAB-6F0C-4D31-894E-32FE23CD95E7.jpeg.3c54a89f534a8c77cdc97045dd5e322e.jpeg

F286CA32-942F-4794-93BA-B04E4622C63A.jpeg.6a3391329529f48bad2a744787c8398b.jpeg

Loch Nevis remains unaltered. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

On 25/01/2023 at 14:53, 03060 said:

Well ..... I must eat my own words ! Having found the photo of the Class 26 at Crianlarich again I decided to look a little deeper into it's origins, ie the photographer's other works only to find pages and pages of genuine railway photographs, some do look slightly unnatural, particularly in the bright yellow colours so I wonder if they have been digitally enhanced .... I then found a second photo of the Class 26 taken from the other side which doesn't look to have been enhanced .... so my sincere apologies to Mr. Cutter.

For your enjoyment :-

26043 Seen here at Cranlarich sidings

Other photos found ...

26043 at Cranlarich (2)

....and from the other side

26043 at cranlarich

27043 at Cranlarich

All photos by Robert Cutter.

No date, I'm afraid but judging by the starch wagon I would guess at between 1986 and 88. Possibly the photo that @meanach was thinking of ?

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian. In the last photo, i don't recognise the wagon type behind the OBA. Is this the 'starch' wagon you refer to? If so, do you have any more info on it please? 

Edited by peak experience

• RMweb Premium
On 02/03/2023 at 01:03, peak experience said:

Hi Ian. In the last photo, i don't recognise the wagon type behind the OBA. Is this the 'starch' wagon you refer to? If so, do you have any more info on it please? 

Sorry @peak experience I misread your post and got timed out on my first rework of my reply.

Slight confusion but the wagon behind the OBA in the Engineers train is a BASS OCA but if you mean the wagon on the track behind then this is a 12ton Plasser & Theurer Mobile Crane for which there is another thread somewhere.

The Starch wagon is in the 2nd photo, the black and white CPC wagon which is heading for Corpach, I'm not certain but I think that it is carrying Caustic Soda.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Needs rewriting
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 15:44, 03060 said:

Sorry @peak experience I misread your post and got timed out on my first rework of my reply.

Slight confusion but the wagon behind the OBA in the Engineers train is a BASS OCA but if you mean the wagon on the track behind then this is a 12ton Plasser & Theurer Mobile Crane for which there is another thread somewhere.

The Starch wagon is in the 2nd photo, the black and white CPC wagon which is heading for Corpach, I'm not certain but I think that it is carrying Caustic Soda.

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks Ian. it was the fourth photo i was referring to. Im not so good with freight wagons. I'm guessing it's two SPAs, an OBA, the OCA, a Rudd? and a grampus. 

6 hours ago, peak experience said:

Thanks Ian. it was the fourth photo i was referring to. Im not so good with freight wagons. I'm guessing it's two SPAs, an OBA, the OCA, a Rudd? and a grampus. 

Looking at the photo, I reckon 2x SPA, OBA, Turbot and last wagon possibly a Grampus. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billywhizz said:

Looking at the photo, I reckon 2x SPA, OBA, Turbot and last wagon possibly a Grampus. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

I agree (although you've missed out the OCA) a Medfit could also be a good contender for being the last wagon in the train.

As regards the date, there is another photo in the series which I have posted elsewhere in the "you wouldn't get away with it at an exhibition" thread (or something like that) which is of the Northbound  freight train departing the station over track with some very newly laid ballast which makes me think that the Engineers train that we are discussing might have been involved with the reconstruction of the Oban and Fort William junctions layout (possibly 1986/7ish ??)

I won't repost that photo here as I'm rather conscious that we are drifting away from Paul's layout subject.

14 minutes ago, 03060 said:

I agree (although you've missed out the OCA) a Medfit could also be a good contender for being the last wagon in the train.

As regards the date, there is another photo in the series which I have posted elsewhere in the "you wouldn't get away with it at an exhibition" thread (or something like that) which is of the Northbound  freight train departing the station over track with some very newly laid ballast which makes me think that the Engineers train that we are discussing might have been involved with the reconstruction of the Oban and Fort William junctions layout (possibly 1986/7ish ??)

I won't repost that photo here as I'm rather conscious that we are drifting away from Paul's layout subject.

Oops! Short term memory loss is getting worse! How on earth did I forget the OCA in the 30 seconds from looking at the photo to typing the post. I must have repeated SPA, SPA, OBA, OCA, Turbot, Grampus at least 5 times whilst scrolling down to reply. 
Agree, let’s get back to Paul’s layout subject! 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just perusing the April Continental Modeller and saw that Rivarossi, (part of Hornby International), are doing the Klv 53 maintenance draisine & trailer in HO. 

This is the same as the one seen on the left in this shot on Ernie’s archive. Not cheap at rrp £165 but genuine WHL equipment albeit in 3.5mm ft

https://flic.kr/p/XkR9XG

And again at Fort William

https://flic.kr/p/XpShCJ

Unfortunately I can’t find a link to the model pics online but they do look very good. If you’re in Smiths have a look at p268 
https://uk.rivarossi.com/products/db-maintenance-tractor-klv-53-basf-hr2913

F37811FB-E1F4-47A7-896C-4979CD655E05.jpeg.7c2228c3b08b6ae4d81acd560d287f01.jpeg

Brawa also did it in HO but that seems to be discontinued. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The Rivarossi catelogue indicates that there will be DCC and DCC sound versions of the KLV 53 available during 2023. Personally I can live with HO for these track maintenance vehicles and I shall be tempted, especially given how poorly my OWB performs.  

• RMweb Gold

The second of Ernie's pictures also shows a modified engineers coach. I can't work out what it is or what the number might be, I am guessing that it might be ADB 975077, a BCK converted as a staff mess coach by the Scottish Region in the early 1980's. Does anyone else know better?

pb_Mallaig_Junc_new_yard

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, young37215 said:

The Rivarossi catelogue indicates that there will be DCC and DCC sound versions of the KLV 53 available during 2023. Personally I can live with HO for these track maintenance vehicles and I shall be tempted, especially given how poorly my OWB performs.  

The photos look like it’s an electrical connector between the truck and Klv too so it should be a better runner. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, young37215 said:

The second of Ernie's pictures also shows a modified engineers coach. I can't work out what it is or what the number might be, I am guessing that it might be ADB 975077, a BCK converted as a staff mess coach by the Scottish Region in the early 1980's. Does anyone else know better?

pb_Mallaig_Junc_new_yard

The only other photo I have seen of ADB 975077 suggests that you are correct - although it does show the other side.

Photo

That could be one for the real thing looks like a model thread too.

Probably the angle.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, young37215 said:

pb_Mallaig_Junc_new_yard

The rainstrip on the roof is a feature of the BCKs, hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following finding this pic and Rob identifying where I found it 😆 I started trying to copy it. 

©️spannerman37025 on Flickr

Double Headed 'TRACTORS'

I was going to use the old Kitmaster / Dapol JCB but I happened across the Corgi Junior Massey Ferguson which is not exact but closer to the one pictured. 

IMG_3522.jpeg.4c0fd0a54dacfea18f1bda5af137c106.jpeg

I discarded the wheels for those from the Dapol model

IMG_3525.jpeg.66421c7f598295ee49f8bd630213f23e.jpeg

IMG_3526.jpeg.700af8daeb5d6f5520b2f8b7c25dd81f.jpeg

this is kind of the angle in the photo. 

IMG_3533.jpeg.6a99b6f6ecf4491629577db41b507239.jpeg

I hacked the plough off the Corgi toy and the teeth out of the kit bucket. I added a flat plate to the bucket front from plasticard. 

IMG_3534.jpeg.16632139b52b6ba49e5d785ef21374de.jpeg

Here’s the kit backactor balanced on so not tight to the kingpost. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2023 at 15:38, PaulRhB said:

©️spannerman37025 on Flickr

Double Headed 'TRACTORS'

IMG_3552.jpeg.60362ac89f29f3b9304a0560f9858bb0.jpeg

The buckets need painting, it all needs weathering and glazing, but it’s getting there. 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Paul,

I’ve just finished reading through your thread having been put onto it when you commented on my Glenfinnan thread. I love the concept…and the execution to date. The list of timelines is very useful, I will be referring to that in future!

I found myself wanting to reply on things and then remembering that the original post was a year ago and in fact most of the comments I would have made (e.g. side platforms at Ranochan) were addressed later in the thread.

I see you’ve managed to justify quite a bit of goods traffic. I was trying to be good and limit myself to what I have pictures of - i.e. tail traffic on the tea time train of oil tankers, Interfrigos and steel carriers. I was going to go back to the ‘60s for more varied goods traffic. But I am itching to use my Heljan cargowaggons, so I may succumb to an imaginary naval base type excuse!

I look forward to following your progress.

Andy

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still waiting on the laser cut ends and now looking to other sources!

In the meantime I’ve done the diagram for the Z21 control screen

image001.jpeg.4054f3d8247b0b75d80f34be3bb818ed.jpeg

and with controls and routes overlaid

IMG_4979.jpeg.b803a18cbede8ab4260e9c2ef74e3147.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

37 027 got sound installed today, I did add a square of paper towel to stop the speaker rattling against the sides. 

IMG_5099.jpeg.5cab884b68a395ae70333d21b9b8c685.jpeg

I also chopped down the ‘handrails’ that I think should be hinges on the roof to match photos I’ve taken at work. 

IMG_5098.jpeg.9e714517c63ccfe4f0336411ed402363.jpeg

IMG_5101.jpeg.66ebd071fec30ef3f35a36dfbaf3157c.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg.f06b914452ca3daf6ccc790cf1ea2d63.jpeg

IMG_5103.jpeg.dfb3f21c54de78caf361bdfce46b994c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1