Loch Nevis & Ranochan modular West Highland

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, billywhizz said:

Hi Paul. Just catching up with your thread. The end plates look great. I like the alignment idea. Out of interest, which CV No did you change from 40 to 70 on your Accurascale 37?

Cheers. 
Bill. 

Bill

I changed acceleration cv3 to 70 initially but after running it on a friends layout I’ve increased that to 120 as it still took off too fast for my liking. It’s a matter of taste to some extent but 70 synchs it ok with moving off, anything higher is more about how you like locos to react to the throttle. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Bill

I changed acceleration cv3 to 70 initially but after running it on a friends layout I’ve increased that to 120 as it still took off too fast for my liking. It’s a matter of taste to some extent but 70 synchs it ok with moving off, anything higher is more about how you like locos to react to the throttle. 

Thanks Paul. I am a complete DCC numpty when it comes to CV’s etc. Not happy with how the 2 37’s I have fitted with Accurascale chips react to the throttle. Factory sound fitted 37043 arrived this week so will be interesting to see what difference there is to my 1st 2 locos. Just need to find some time to have a tinker with them!! 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now I’ve been happy to weather stuff for years but I’ve not quite cracked the look I find in photos of the West Highland so as a tester I packed off 410 to Tom Foster, of Scaca Fell layout, after seeing his gallery.  

IMG_7878.jpeg.fec25852d0893fd00848e96624247c2f.jpeg

IMG_7879.jpeg.df2f159579820ff8ecc58f9b4210f52b.jpeg

this is what Tom did and I 😀 love it! Booked the rest of the fleet in in the new year. 
Very happy bunny tonight. 

Tom’s website

https://tomfosterweathering.wordpress.com

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2023 at 08:26, PaulRhB said:

I went for a heavily rusted example 😆 still need to weather the tyres though. 

IMG_3554.jpeg.a6050d2f45c56c71565002c4f1d22b1c.jpeg

Sorry to go off on a tangent Paul, but does this building appear in any other threads? I'm quite interested in its size and construction.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

Sorry to go off on a tangent Paul, but does this building appear in any other threads? I'm quite interested in its size and construction.

No problem, more here, sorry not many construction photos as I sort of sat down and knocked it up in one session. I can measure it tomorrow when I’m back home if you want any dimensions. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The legs will be common to all three modular projects to save money and space. 

IMG_3889.jpeg.424a5026bbf57d14c6f793b5fa9be534.jpeg

Basically 2x1 glued and screwed to the plate with a further brace lower down. The station boards have proper lateral bracing so the flat plate will be adequate on these. 
the modules, (green), sit on the top of the 2x1 for approximate alignment and as the holes are 8mm they can shimmed with card to get accurate alignment before tightening the bolts. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread and it has made for a very interesting read!

I've long had an interest in the WHL extension and various proposed terminus locations. A few years ago after reading the original idea of terminating on Loch Nevis I designed a railway route to access the Loch. Due to the hills surrounding Mallaig  I chose a route that deviated from the current alignment at the village of Morar, ran along Loch Morar to Tarbet and then over the neck of Loch Nevis and onto Inverie. It would be a fairly circuitous route but would avoid the need for massive engineering other than a large bridge at Tarbet over Loch Nevis and provide access to the large natural harbour. I imagined that if it had been built then the Royal Navy would have had an interest due to its sheltered location and the WW2 commando training in the area.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1