Kaminecke-Bahn (Die Museumsbahn)

47606odin

4 hours ago, Clinton Ross said:

Since the last 100 years of modeling steam engines have been accompanied with whoosh-whoosh sounds from puckered cheeks and chemist pellets containing "smoke" we have tended to treat the most recent advancements in sound and smoke technology as if they were wondrous; alas, they still provide only approximations.

Admittedly some Gauge I (and upwards) loks have some nifty devices where the "steam" also comes out of places other than the smokestack, but hardy in prototypical fashion.  Smaller scales continue on providing realism with more wink-wink-nudge-nudge activity.

The idea of potentially sacrificing your otherwise nifty Lenz BR 64 under the guise of "improvements", can disrupt your entire life, prevent bodily functions from working properly, including restorative sleep, and alienate you from your otherwise supporting hobbyists.

Advice?  Sure, why not?

1.  If Lenz's idea of "smoke" is important to you, sell your model to someone who still makes chuff-chuff and whoo-whoo noises and buy one with factory-installed equipment.

2.  If you can afford subbing-out to do the retro work, do so.

3.  If you can afford to pay yourself for the experience without regret, pick up a Dremel tool and have at it.  Old Seuthe units work okay but lack the pulsing chuff mechanism.

Please take plenty of close-up pictures so the rest of us can say:

A.  That's interesting.

B.  I would not have done that in a thousand years.

C.  Oh, well, he was probably well-off enough to not be bothered by the wreckage.

Remember, without bold, courageous, daring and/or desperate pioneers, where would we be now?

Clinton

P.S.  On order, forever, are KM1 BR 91 and MBW BR 86, both with factory sound and smoke; but, they're not here!

PS I was just just wondering if it was a simple upgrade project to video as I have never fitted a smoke generator to a loco, hence the query 

14 hours ago, Clinton Ross said:

Admittedly some Gauge I (and upwards) loks have some nifty devices where the "steam" also comes out of places other than the smokestack, but hardy in prototypical fashion. 

Nifty devices? Just a boiler with water and a burner:

Regards

Fred

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I have just added to my collection of wagons. One brake van and one ballast wagon. See below

B23FAB18-EC4E-4725-A417-026FCDFCF4AD.jpeg.b87a7169d7e06d835ff442e282231377.jpeg

8B41AB92-A94D-462A-A76F-CBDA41F2AEDD.jpeg.09e09a1b20cb8fcd4d2391fd3ef80d2c.jpeg

so my question is, generally in UK freight ballast trains were seperate from general goods traffic from what I can see, German freights were more mixed. So was there any particular location in a freight this small hopper would fit in, or was it anywhere depending on where the train was travelling?

• Like 5

For every rule of thumb someone somewhere has photo-proof of an exception.

There are, however, a few generalizations for German Epoch III standard-gauge two-axle ballast cars :

1.  They weigh less than tank cars.

2.  They almost never get included in fast freights.

3.  They do not travel very far as ballast is readily available.

4.  They look cool.

5.  Model manufacturers make certain that their DR Epoch III version is the very last to be made.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Clinton Ross said:

For every rule of thumb someone somewhere has photo-proof of an exception.

There are, however, a few generalizations for German Epoch III standard-gauge two-axle ballast cars :

1.  They weigh less than tank cars.

2.  They almost never get included in fast freights.

3.  They do not travel very far as ballast is readily available.

4.  They look cool.

5.  Model manufacturers make certain that their DR Epoch III version is the very last to be made.

thanks Clinton. So, if I drive slowly it’ll be good 😁 slow freight it is

20 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Always nice to see a train given room to run - that is quite a lot of Setrack though, by the look of it.  Shall we assume you live in a bungalow given the bedroom shots?  All good fun, Keith.

yep, more common here in Australia than a 2 storey house

• Like 1

Okay, help please.

Can anyone advise me on where I can obtain spare Lenz axleboxes? I have lost one from my carriages. Luckily it’s on the centre axle so isn’t used to keep the axle in position on this vehicle, but it seems that I lose one every time I get one out for a run, and on my MBW wagons too. They all seem to shed parts like it’s going out of fashion 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Nothing on their website.  I was at the Giessen show last weekend and would have had a look for you.  Checking likely websites, look at Petau though they might be lost wax.

Maybe fix all your covers in place with a pinhead of UHU.

I had running problems with my Kiss Mitteleinsteinwagen so reamed out the plastic to fit brass top hat bearings and of course lost a cover. I purchased some similar plastic covers, but can't remember from whom nor where the surplus are.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

WHEN THE WIFE'S AWAY....

This was penned twenty-or-so years ago during a harried growth spurt involving two-rail European HO model trains with membership in two European Train Enthusiasts (ETE) stateside chapters which were 88±% three-rail Märklin HO, 10±%  LGB and a smattering of everything else.  Members shared their enthusiasm for creatively sneaking purchases into the layout rooms, steamer trunks and other hiding places.

A fellow-enthusiast wrote to the ETE website with heartfelt anxiety, “What do I say to my wife when she asks, ‘Don’t you have enough trains?’”

To this day he annually e-mails his thanks for the reply, “No, I do not!  As you know I am attracted to all things beautiful, graceful and lovely.  C’mere, you!”

Clinton

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...
On 01/04/2023 at 05:48, bbishop said:

Nothing on their website.  I was at the Giessen show last weekend and would have had a look for you.  Checking likely websites, look at Petau though they might be lost wax.

Maybe fix all your covers in place with a pinhead of UHU.

I had running problems with my Kiss Mitteleinsteinwagen so reamed out the plastic to fit brass top hat bearings and of course lost a cover. I purchased some similar plastic covers, but can't remember from whom nor where the surplus are.

Bill

just had a look at the Petau website. Some very nice detailing parts. I’m going to have a go at making an axlebox cover as I only need the one. If it isn’t a reasonable look for a match painted up I’ll gut some of those lost wax ones. However, what I do really like is those steam heat hoses and I might have to get some of those brackets for the tail end marker boards as I am missing a couple off some wagons

• Like 1

Ive been given the link to this website to look at for round houses etc, but when I go to the website all I get is a blank page and “forbidden” on it. Does anyone know if this is purely because I’m in Australia or if there’s another issue?

if anyone else can check I’d appreciate it as I’d like a roundhouse to display my locos in front of.

https://www.real-modell.de 

IMG_4478.jpeg.b60120ec613dc63a1b880f22bedf81ad.jpeg

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Premium

I had a go at translating the postage and packing details into English.  Rest of World is included (€30), though I note shipping is mentioned in the small print as being at the customers’ risk (Real Modell are a small company - items are made to order it appears).  Having a brief look round the website, everything looks very impressive, so I can see why they were recommended, though this is no help if you can’t access the website from Australia of course, sorry.  Do you have a German speaking ‘agent’ (family member, friend or contact) elsewhere who can assist?  Just a thought - as @stivesnick has shown, could be worth it, Keith.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stivesnick said:

The link works for me to the home page. Then I found this..

Nick

Screenshot 2023-06-12 075729.png

4 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I had a go at translating the postage and packing details into English.  Rest of World is included (€30), though I note shipping is mentioned in the small print as being at the customers’ risk (Real Modell are a small company - items are made to order it appears).  Having a brief look round the website, everything looks very impressive, so I can see why they were recommended, though this is no help if you can’t access the website from Australia of course, sorry.  Do you have a German speaking ‘agent’ (family member, friend or contact) elsewhere who can assist?  Just a thought - as @stivesnick has shown, could be worth it, Keith.

yep, that’s the quality of kit I’m after, just a shame I can’t actually get on the site. I’m in the UK in a couple of weeks, I’ll see if it lets me log on from there. That at least will confirm it’s an Australian thing

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Clinton Ross said:

thanks for the link, but as I’ve explained above, for some reason that website comes up as ‘forbidden’ and I can’t see anything. I’m not sure if it’s an Australian thing, so on holiday in a weeks time, I’ll log on from the UK and see if it lets me see then

Okay, more thinking (or too much as I should be sleeping lol) I’m planning in my head a garden railway.

thought 1.

if I use the Lenz track system for my railway, instead of Peco, which are actually both made by Peco ironically, how weatherproof are the point drive units? Very high UV here, but we do get rain (as well as retic for the garden) from time to time and blown sand, so would it be better to keep the track points manually switched?

thought 2.

train control. I have the ECoS system which I use indoors, and not sure I want to be taking it out in the great outdoors risking damaging it, (risky enough carrying locos in and out) so I thought I could actually get one of the Lenz digital starter sets. That way I could get a Köf shunter and a few more wagons as well as an oval of track albeit R1 track so a little tight, and the DCC controller. And as I wouldn’t really be operating 4 locos at a time, would be big enough for my railway. However, I notice all the instructions are just in German, is there somewhere I could get an English copy? So opinions on that idea would be appreciated.

thought 3.

I could add a branch line up one of the existing flower beds, so does the Lenz system allow for setting up a shuttle operation?

for info, our garden isn’t very big, so the main body of the railway excluding the optional branch line, will only probably be 3x5 meters or so, so I’m hoping the controller should be man enough as it is suitable for powering 4 locos.

• 2 weeks later...

thought 1 - I've seen the LZV200 / LH101 at the club and no-one had any problems.  I've just bought one and the instructions are tri-lingual: Deutsch, English, Frog.  RRP is 409€.  There is also the starter set at 99€, but I can't comment.

thought 2 - I use Peco code 143 on Blindheim.  This has Pandrols, rather than the bolts typically used on the Continent, but honestly not noticeable.  The points don't have double sleepers under the frogs, which grates a little, but the deciding factor was cost - Peco bought with discount from a trader, whilst Lenz would be exported then re-imported.

thought 3 - never seen it on native Lenz, but someone may produce the necessary electronics.  

Bill

• Informative/Useful 1

Notwithstanding that they may alleviate bending, kneeling and consequential painful and/or difficult physical contortions... non-mechanical points/switches/turnouts/damned-things are the bane of outdoor model railroads, especially at ground-level.

They jam, they short-out, they smoke, they set fire to cats and in the end always get discarded to allow manual-throws instead.   

(As switch reliability is dependent on smooth and reliable physical contact of the rails, changing to manual throws will not reduce the maintenance required as all sorts of stuff manages to squeeze into the smallest space to prevent safe passage.)

Is it any wonder that the elderly tend to raise their roadbed to more accessible and less gritty levels?

Edited by Clinton Ross
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/06/2023 at 20:09, bbishop said:

thought 1 - I've seen the LZV200 / LH101 at the club and no-one had any problems.  I've just bought one and the instructions are tri-lingual: Deutsch, English, Frog.  RRP is 409€.  There is also the starter set at 99€, but I can't comment.

thought 2 - I use Peco code 143 on Blindheim.  This has Pandrols, rather than the bolts typically used on the Continent, but honestly not noticeable.  The points don't have double sleepers under the frogs, which grates a little, but the deciding factor was cost - Peco bought with discount from a trader, whilst Lenz would be exported then re-imported.

thought 3 - never seen it on native Lenz, but someone may produce the necessary electronics.  

Bill

On 26/06/2023 at 22:07, Clinton Ross said:

Notwithstanding that they may alleviate bending, kneeling and consequential painful and/or difficult physical contortions... non-mechanical points/switches/turnouts/damned-things are the bane of outdoor model railroads, especially at ground-level.

They jam, they short-out, they smoke, they set fire to cats and in the end always get discarded to allow manual-throws instead.   

(As switch reliability is dependent on smooth and reliable physical contact of the rails, changing to manual throws will not reduce the maintenance required as all sorts of stuff manages to squeeze into the smallest space to prevent safe passage.)

Is it any wonder that the elderly tend to raise their roadbed to more accessible and less gritty levels?

thanks for that. It confirms my thoughts about the points so they will remain manual (although if switches set fire to cats that’ll keep them out of my garden) and I’ll get the digital starter set after my holiday then for the controller, loco wagons and additional track. I can at least still play with them before I start demolishing, I mean re landscaping the garden