Kaminecke-Bahn (Die Museumsbahn)

47606odin

On 16/06/2023 at 09:59, 47606odin said:

thanks for the link, but as I’ve explained above, for some reason that website comes up as ‘forbidden’ and I can’t see anything. I’m not sure if it’s an Australian thing, so on holiday in a weeks time, I’ll log on from the UK and see if it lets me see then

Do you have a VPN? If not, there are free ones out there - I use Surfshark free version (no connection except as a satisfied customer) - which then let you change your location so the external sites think you are in their country. I get to view some of the blocked BBC content that way. An added bonus of the VPN is that it makes your browsing more secure.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, SRman said:

Do you have a VPN? If not, there are free ones out there - I use Surfshark free version (no connection except as a satisfied customer) - which then let you change your location so the external sites think you are in their country. I get to view some of the blocked BBC content that way. An added bonus of the VPN is that it makes your browsing more secure.

now I’m in the UK, and your message prompted me to check, yep, it’s a location thing. There’s some loveliness on that site.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your continued help with information on a topic I’m not familiar with, so I am keeping my little KofII and will attempt to fix the upper headlight which leads me to another question

IMG_4613.jpeg.8e1729428adb0a8020b7d8c7aafb2b7f.jpeg

whilst it’s apart, what colour should the wheels be before I weather it? As you can see they are unpainted and shiny. Red? Black?

thanks in advance, and I have quite a few wagons to weather now too. I might get some done next week 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 05:59, 47606odin said:

Ooh, a German loco that will fit on my UK layout 🤩

IMG_5562.jpeg.de77f0daa5035c8d4c54522beafeef7b.jpeg

at least I can play until I get my garden railway built

A Lenz model? I recognise the design as a 'classic' German diesel, but know next to nothing about it. Do tell more!

• 47606odin changed the title to Die Museumsbahn (google translation so apologies if it’s not quite correct)

Well, I have changed the title of this thread, according to google it is the German translation for “the museum railway”

on the basis that as I don’t know enough about German railways with geographical styles and allocations, rolling stock eras etc, if it’s a fictional museum, then in theory I can actually run what I like without actually being wrong. And my railway can shunt and run demonstration freight as well as passengers

that said, my 4 diesel locomotives and 2 steam currently are all era 3, so does have a theme at the minute

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Have a care!

The next steps from a fictional museum include:

Theme Park scenery including large animated figurines of Disney and Mattel characters.

Mixing multiple scale railroad and other transportation modes, especially Hornby coal wagons.

Placement of pre-built structures having nothing to do with anything.

Additionally, placement of nude figures in inappropriate positions.

Creating implausible narratives for The Grand Canyon, Eifel Tower and Berlin Wall using the same siding.

Naturally, the more creative museum railway directors provide evermore fanciful depictions.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2023 at 03:03, Clinton Ross said:

Have a care!

The next steps from a fictional museum include:

Theme Park scenery including large animated figurines of Disney and Mattel characters.

Mixing multiple scale railroad and other transportation modes, especially Hornby coal wagons.

Placement of pre-built structures having nothing to do with anything.

Additionally, placement of nude figures in inappropriate positions.

Creating implausible narratives for The Grand Canyon, Eifel Tower and Berlin Wall using the same siding.

Naturally, the more creative museum railway directors provide evermore fanciful depictions.

Lol. Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t thought of those

• Funny 1

So here’s a question, was there ever a turntable built in Germany that had a full wooden deck over the pit either in a roundhouse or outside, so that a Lenz offering could be made to look more prototypical than the flat thing it is, or has anyone converted the Lenz turntable into a deep pit. Just thinking ahead here for a diorama part of a layout that could be picked up and moved in or out of the house.

just thinking of something to show off my locos when I’m not using them

14 hours ago, rekoboy said:

thankyou for the reply, however what I’m really after is whether there were any in real life. I found a picture of a BR52 on one, but it turned out it was on a visit to Italy and not a German turntable. If you know of any photos of one in Germany I’d appreciate it

1 hour ago, rekoboy said:

There is a very small planked turntable in the port area in Magdeburg on the Elbe river. The shed and turntable, now preserved, were built for small dock shunters. I shall look out for more!

Halbrundlokschuppen_in_Magdeburg_01.jpg.a9049538179840eb5905899ff1333b16.jpg

awesome, thanks. Now I don’t think my BR50 will squeeze on that, maybe if I disconnect the tender….😝

Alas, it still will not fit.  That wee hand-powered turntable is for very small tank locos and wagons needing repair that can be pushed into the shed.

Lenz admitted that their turntable is for the railroader that sets the trains temporarily on the floor when time and space permit without the complication of digging a pit.

A.N.F.S.C.D.  Modeling 0 1:45 with code100 rail is fraught with fraud: in this case vendors masquerading their 138, 148 and 157+ codes as 100, said the fool trying to save funds.

• Like 2

• 47606odin changed the title to Kaminecke-Bahn (Die Museumsbahn)

Well, I have finally decided on the name of the railway as can be seen in the title now.

if you translate it it means chimney corner railway…….inglenook!

so the indoors German Railway will be an Inglenook shunting layout. I have an idea in mind how I want it to look (signals on the layout hopefully you’ll be able to assist in that) and also as it is still a museum line, it will allow me to run what I like. 

construction will start soon and I’ll update on here

• Like 1

This is the basic plan, as you’d expect, it’s an inglenook

IMG_6151.jpeg.576a520919be7f122e6f0ca1394260ac.jpeg

It should give me a little scope for some scenery, and one or 2 signals. I’ll see what I can fit width wise as it’s going to be built on a floating shelf, so I can take it down easy enough when I want to use it

• Like 3

I have committed to the build and spent some money and bought some buildings

IMG_6152.jpeg.1716536cf52e5f52a08ad5cf5f8b37be.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg.f351c8e53c82a83340607313dcb03ba7.jpeg

IMG_6154.jpeg.fec61fdac95416d97affd1ac1b0dba83.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg.ec7c4a2e67ac7cf6c37f962901531cea.jpeg

I am open to suggestions for a very small station building or shelter. something in a small country village for example

ive just got to find a double slip, then that will be all the track I need

• Like 5

A fellow who manufactures very nice 0-scale turnouts stated in no uncertain terms that a #6 frog in HO code 100 was the same exact frog in 1:45 code 100; conversely, a #8 double-slip HO frog could be used in any scale so long as the track height remained the same.

Taking his lecture to heart a few (semi-decent) code 100 #5 turnouts have been made using HO code 100 #5 frogs.  (Despite having a nifty re$i$tance-$oldering kit it remains unused as it scares the willies out of me; hence, a smallish budget soldering iron was used on the fledgling turnouts... which becomes my added excuse for the amateur appearance and the need for slow running.)

With Lenz/Peco double-slip turnouts fetching anywhere up to $300 on eBay... it may be of some value to you to consider reducing your code 148 stuff, in places, to code 100 rail.  All the Lenz, Schnellenkamp (and ETS tinplate!) locomotives and rolling- stock run on code100 very well.    

HO double-slip turnouts are cheap, especially in the once-default code 100.  With the ready-made frog ripped up and spiked down it is (almost) child’s play to fabricate the rest of the turnout.

Save money!  Improve scale appearance!  Shower once a week!

Clinton (refrains from all of it)

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Clinton Ross said:

A fellow who manufactures very nice 0-scale turnouts stated in no uncertain terms that a #6 frog in HO code 100 was the same exact frog in 1:45 code 100; conversely, a #8 double-slip HO frog could be used in any scale so long as the track height remained the same.

Taking his lecture to heart a few (semi-decent) code 100 #5 turnouts have been made using HO code 100 #5 frogs.  (Despite having a nifty re$i$tance-$oldering kit it remains unused as it scares the willies out of me; hence, a smallish budget soldering iron was used on the fledgling turnouts... which becomes my added excuse for the amateur appearance and the need for slow running.)

With Lenz/Peco double-slip turnouts fetching anywhere up to $300 on eBay... it may be of some value to you to consider reducing your code 148 stuff, in places, to code 100 rail.  All the Lenz, Schnellenkamp (and ETS tinplate!) locomotives and rolling- stock run on code100 very well.    

HO double-slip turnouts are cheap, especially in the once-default code 100.  With the ready-made frog ripped up and spiked down it is (almost) child’s play to fabricate the rest of the turnout.

Save money!  Improve scale appearance!  Shower once a week!

Clinton (refrains from all of it)

I've seen how stupidly expensive the double slips are, but luckily I’ve sourced one (second hand but as new and boxed) for £99. So with the track and points in the starter set I have that’s all I need with some spare too. Once the slip arrives in a couple of weeks I can look at placing everything down and sort out the base board