Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR 4000 Gallon King tender needed

To go with a Sayer Chaplin King Kit from Ebay it needs a GWR 4000 gallon tender in etched brass, which Sayer once did a kit for.

Does anybody know of a kit maker who sells the tender separately or a GWR tender kit, it must be in etched brass to match the Sayer loco body standards within reason..

Stephen.

That sounded like the line about swallows from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (sorry - off topic :) )

Haha, 'African or European?'..

Can't remember which one does both but one of the Finney/Mitchell pair does as both etched tops were on the etch.

I have spoken to Falcon, but never seen one, I assume fully riveted detail, but the Finney one may be better as if it has lost wax axle boxes, all the better. I will phone and find out .

As soon as one is ordered, it is certain that one of the original tender kits from Sayer Chaplin will turn up on Ebay.......Sayer was just the riveted panels, all plain metal work was left to the builder, along with axleboxes and underframes.

Stephen.

The latter is infinitely better than the former!

There is also the Mitchell one for his King kit http://www.davidgeen...chelldesign.htm

I have a Mitchell and a Finney one but can't remember which is best, one does have lost wax axleboxes etc though which were slightly more detailed..

The Ex Mitchell one seems the right one 4000 gallons, would that be riveted surface?, as the illustration for the Sayer says 4000 gallon, and shows rivets all over. Does the Mitchell have the lost wax parts? it seems to be available at about £40 from David Geen..

The Ex Mitchell one seems the right one 4000 gallons, would that be riveted surface?, as the illustration for the Sayer says 4000 gallon, and shows rivets all over. Does the Mitchell have the lost wax parts? it seems to be available at about £40 from David Geen..

Both the Finney and Mitchell kits are high quality models of the same type of tender and from the models I've seen, build up very nicely. Since - so far as I know - Swindon didn't really *do* welding the rivets will come as standard...

Adam

Just making sure as Mitchell list flush rivets on some 3500 types, where there is an alternative.

Can anybody confirm the lost wax castings, rather than whitemetal, for axle boxes are supplied in the kit?

Yes just looked at my pair; the Mitchell one is a Standard Collett 4000g and has lost wax axleboxes and filler though the dome on the tank is whitemetal. Ask David Geen for the better quality castings btw as he uses a few supplies for his lost wax bits, think he'll charge slightly extra for Slaters made bits..

The flush tenders were not 4000g and neither Finney or Mitchell actually caters for 2 filler versions of this tender, I was incorrect there. Curious my 3500g flush Mitchell kit has w/m axleboxes though, must have been older stock or someone switched them from a Finney!

There are certainly a lot of sharp 1/2 etched rivets on all of these kits!

Brian's linked picture and comment essentially sum up Falcon brass! It is buildable but not with much enthusiasm..

Yes just looked at my pair; the Mitchell one is a Standard Collett 4000g and has lost wax axleboxes and filler though the dome on the tank is whitemetal. Ask David Geen for the better quality castings btw as he uses a few supplies for his lost wax bits, think he'll charge slightly extra for Slaters made bits..

The flush tenders were not 4000g and neither Finney or Mitchell actually caters for 2 filler versions of this tender, I was incorrect there. Curious my 3500g flush Mitchell kit has w/m axleboxes though, must have been older stock or someone switched them from a Finney!

There are certainly a lot of sharp 1/2 etched rivets on all of these kits!

Brian's linked picture and comment essentially sum up Falcon brass! It is buildable but not with much enthusiasm..

Many thanks, I think it must be the Mitchell Geen one. The rivet detail is just to get it the same as the Sayer, whose designs claimed all rivets were there, and correctly positioned, and a reported comment from Beal about Sayer was that they were "rivet counters", the origin of the expression!

Stephen.

Note also that the Mitchell 4000 gallon tender is also slightly less awkward than the Finney one if you have to drop the wheelsets out later for servicing...

Ah....Sayer Chaplin. I got hold of an almost complete 14xx pack a long time ago (it even contained one or two parts from their King!!). The rivet detail is definitely all there. The grade of brass that they used was pretty funny stuff, though - amazingly hard for such thin brass, not easy to bend. I've had real trouble in the past with the small radius bends, e.g. at the front of the tanks, and the transition from roof to cabsides, but will have another go as time permits.

At least the chassis is easy 'cos it's a Puffers/Perseverance product, and the Mainly Trains (ex-Riceworks) 14xx detailing pack will bring a historic kit right up to date.

I was once shown a trick related directly to folding the grade of hard etching brass that Sayer Chaplin used, it was for the 14XX tank, by a very experienced modeller, and that is to saw cut on the folding mark with a jewellers saw, and hold the pieces at right angles in a jig, till the cut edges are just touching, leaving in effect a minute V groove to be filled, then cut a piece of brass wire, put it into the slot, and solder, making sure the wire is higher than the etched edges of the tank, which will be filed from the brass to match.

I should add that silver solder was used for the joint, I do not bother, using pure tin solder as it is stronger than lead solder.

It is then filed to shape exactly, with fine grade needle files, and the result is a perfect right angle without distortion, and a correct rounded edge, and no need for the bending allowance.

Stephen.

Archived