Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Tips for soldering joints

Appreciate that this has likely been covered in other threads, but couldn’t find anything…

Would greatly appreciate any tips for how to solder a joint when building a metal coach/wagon kit i.e. if I’m trying to solder an end or side to the chassis/frame - and I only have one pair of hands - how do I bond the two together whilst keeping them straight and square etc?

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hello, the best way I'd suggest is to construct a frame or jig out of pieces of wood, that holds the two pieces absolutely square, before applying the iron. Or, if you want a handy gadget - but not a cheap one - have a look at these: https://www.coffmaneng.com/

The ones with the orange coloured pads are heat resistant and can be used to hold two pieces at a right angle while you solder - like this one: https://www.coffmaneng.com/product-page/long-combo-right-clamp

I use these and they're brilliant, a great help!

• Agree 1

At the other end of the sophistication scale, Blu-tac is a simple and very versatile way to hold parts for soldering. In this case use it to hold the two pieces edge-on, and then nudge them into an exact right angle using a set square. 

Edited by dpgibbons
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you make a jig, well and good.  The real trick to making a joint, I have found, is to tack solder.  If the joint isn't perfect, you can easily break it and try again.  When you like the joint, complete the bead.

P1010059.JPG.ea5ac5271021887ed115986c784eca7f.JPG

CRT 7mm kit of a BR 6 wheeled brake. 

A good idea is to vigorously clean any errant solder blobs.  These can be remelted and rubbed down with a fiberglass pen.  Really large blobs can be scraped off with an old curved exacto blade and then rubbed down.

Washing the work with a greaseless detergent (NOT Fairy Liquid) such as that used for bathrooms is also good.

John

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's also worth investing in some cheapo self locking tweezers from pound shops. I bend them into all sorts of shapes to get them to hold things. At £1/1.50 for four you don’t need to worry too much about spoiling them.

• Like 6

On 30/07/2022 at 21:35, Chas Levin said:

Hello, the best way I'd suggest is to construct a frame or jig out of pieces of wood, that holds the two pieces absolutely square, before applying the iron. Or, if you want a handy gadget - but not a cheap one - have a look at these: https://www.coffmaneng.com/

The ones with the orange coloured pads are heat resistant and can be used to hold two pieces at a right angle while you solder - like this one: https://www.coffmaneng.com/product-page/long-combo-right-clamp

I use these and they're brilliant, a great help!

On 30/07/2022 at 22:26, dpgibbons said:

At the other end of the sophistication scale, Blu-tac is a simple and very versatile way to hold parts for soldering. In this case use it to hold the two pieces edge-on, and then nudge them into an exact right angle using a set square. 

On 31/07/2022 at 00:57, brossard said:

If you make a jig, well and good.  The real trick to making a joint, I have found, is to tack solder.  If the joint isn't perfect, you can easily break it and try again.  When you like the joint, complete the bead.

P1010059.JPG.ea5ac5271021887ed115986c784eca7f.JPG

CRT 7mm kit of a BR 6 wheeled brake. 

A good idea is to vigorously clean any errant solder blobs.  These can be remelted and rubbed down with a fiberglass pen.  Really large blobs can be scraped off with an old curved exacto blade and then rubbed down.

Washing the work with a greaseless detergent (NOT Fairy Liquid) such as that used for bathrooms is also good.

John

On 31/07/2022 at 08:16, Rob Pulham said:

It's also worth investing in some cheapo self locking tweezers from pound shops. I bend them into all sorts of shapes to get them to hold things. At £1/1.50 for four you don’t need to worry too much about spoiling them.

Thanks very much gents!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 41516 said:

Available in the UK from Branchlines - Drop them an email at sales@branchlines.com for the latest pricelist.

Wish I'd known that - I bought one years ago direct from the USA (perhaps before Branchlines did them though?) but recently bought a second one - of a slightly differnet type - and got stung for VAT etc... Still worth it though, to be able to glue / solder really accurate right-angles, which used to drive me crazy!

Edited by Chas Levin

5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

One tip from me - don't even bother tried lead free solder. Go for the good stuff straight away.

Oh, so, so true. I took the precaution of picking up enough leaded solder to keep me going for a few years once an impending phasing out of the 'good stuff' was announced, just in case it proved difficult to obtain in the future. Happily you can still get it from some retailers, but for how much longer?

Lead free solder - yuk...

• Agree 2

Lots of good advice on jigs. Drawing pins can be used to secure one part of the assembly. Be on the look out for miniature g clamps and use a bit of card or lolly stick to insulate against heat sink. 145 degree solder is more than adequate for loco building. Tin lightly the sharp edge of the joint. Apply generous amount of flux to the other. Finally, remember that in the world of solder, cleanliness IS godliness. Use an abrasive tool immediately before tinning and fluxing and don't forget to wash all traces of flux after each modelling session.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

My workbench is littered with small chunks of planed timber - offcuts of 2 x 1 or 3 x 1/2 and I find them invaluable for both soldering small items on, and using their planed edges to set things at right angles. They are blackened and full of holes, but still work fine ! You can also use one, as here, to sit a loco. on with the buffer beams hanging over the edges so you have a solid platform to work on.

WP_20180114_16_16_42_Pro.jpg.d1e340b5baa91fc3bf4edfa87e0c7cc5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Barclay said:

My workbench is littered with small chunks of planed timber - offcuts of 2 x 1 or 3 x 1/2 and I find them invaluable for both soldering small items on, and using their planed edges to set things at right angles. They are blackened and full of holes, but still work fine ! You can also use one, as here, to sit a loco. on with the buffer beams hanging over the edges so you have a solid platform to work on.

WP_20180114_16_16_42_Pro.jpg.d1e340b5baa91fc3bf4edfa87e0c7cc5.jpg

Snap - no photos right now, but similar profusion of scarred wood pieces. It becomes a sort of badge of honour, to see how burnt, pitted and scarred a piece of wood becomes before you have to abandon it...!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

Looking at the photo, when you get to this stage of construction find a scrap of plywood thicker than the depth of the buffer beams. Cut it to fit inside the valances and fix it to a slightly larger offcut. This will give you a base to support the footplate as you build the boiler ad firebox keeping everything straight.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Peppercorn said:

I was glad to see that others have found lead-free solder useless - I thought, as usual, it was just me!

Yes, the audio service dept where I work has huge problems with it too. It needs far higher temperatures than lead-based and still doesn't flow or wet with the same ease. Neither does it mix with lead-based so when you're replacing individual discrete components to repair a board you have to strip out any lead-based around where you're putting in the new component. Definitely not good for modelling either...

• RMweb Gold

In a previous job leadfree solder was approaching fast. Our business was soldering equipment. Our clients were automotive etc. who had to follow the changes. Universally hated - we had baths of the stuff melted trying to find a way of getting it to work.

Fortunately I got made redundant soon after so not my problem any more!

• Like 2