GWR Couplings 1930-1950

petejones

Am I correct with the following coupling types for GWR rolling stock during the period 1930-1950? I read that only express goods used Instanter. I've used photographs to help with my research.

• Siphon, Warwell, Fruit D, Cattle, Conflat and Passenger Coaches all had screw link couplings
  • Plank wagons had 3-link couplings

What about brake vans? I have seen photos of 3-link and Instanter, but as my layout is a branch line, there will be no express goods, so 3-link?

Cheers

Pete

Sounds about right.  Passenger rated vehicles (certainly coaches) would usually have screw link I think.

Non passenger fitted freight wagons would likely have instanter but there might be cases of the use of screw link.

Unfitted freight wagons would have 3 link.

General rule is to consult photos because there are always exceptions.  You haven't told us your era but best to use info from the time you are modelling.

John

• Thanks 1

Yes, Swindon normally only fitted instanters to express goods wagons but many other vacuum-braked wagons - and all passenger stock - had screw couplings.

I'd suggest you find a brake van allocated to a branch line like your proposal and see what was fitted to that. Instanters could, of course, be used to 'close-couple' the brake to its neighbour - effectively increasing its mass - and give the guard a more comfortable ride : whether the guard thought the extra work of flipping the link was worth the effort only he would know. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The GWR and BR Instanter coupling Instructions refer particularly to cattle wagons fitted with Instanters - which should always be in the short position in trains when the vehicle is loaded.  Instanters were normally left in the long position in freight trains except when formed in the vacuum fitted portion (or in a fully fitted train) which was when they were required to be in the short position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...

@The Stationmaster Mike, I'm not sure if you know the answer to this. If not, as the saying goes, can you kindly point me in the direction of 'a man who can'. I intend to fit Accurascale screw link couplings to both locos and all rolling stock that were fitted with screw link couplings in the prototype. Although largely cosmetic, Accurascale screw link couplings can be used to hook locos and stock. Can you kindly point me in the direction as to how to fit these to locos as the like. Do I remove the hook on the buffer beam and form a slot to fit the Accurascale coupling or do I drill a hole in the existing buffer beam hook to take the 1st link of the screw link coupling. Advice would be most welcome as I really don't want to mess up a loco experimenting/learning how to fit them. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the release this week of the GWR wagons from Rapido, the V14/16 Mink A ,Y4 Banana and 011/15 open , would the vacuum fitted examples have instanter and non fitted, three link couplings .