Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

I suspect that having a friend with a laser cutter or 3D printer (or both!) is becoming more valuable than someone who is proficient with a machine tools.

David

You may be right, David.

I'm afraid that it just makes me feel old...!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Yes, I loves a bit of roofing. 

(That's what you were referring to, yes?)

Yes, as per this image of Alex's. 

IMG_1258.jpeg.ceb9e51cfacca8de45aec0d55284f040.jpeg-01.jpeg.27bcb63cf14c41685070e019f5ad3f04.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

How are you going to do the lead flashing? I have used the lead foil from wine bottles but that only really comes on the dearer bottles now days and my wife doesn't drink, my second wife drunk wine like it was going out of fashion so I always had some lead foil to hand. These days I use cigarette paper if I can't lay my hands on the foil and paint it with Humbrol metalcoat polished steel mixed with gunmetal 53.  

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, lezz01 said:

How are you going to do the lead flashing? I have used the lead foil from wine bottles but that only really comes on the dearer bottles now days and my wife doesn't drink, my second wife drunk wine like it was going out of fashion so I always had some lead foil to hand. These days I use cigarette paper if I can't lay my hands on the foil and paint it with Humbrol metalcoat polished steel mixed with gunmetal 53.  

Regards Lez.

I’ve got some foil from a wine bottle I I’ve saved.. I like using the foil because it can be pressed into shape.

Alex. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

I’ve got some foil from a wine bottle I I’ve saved.. I like using the foil because it can be pressed into shape.

Alex. 

I had a look though my wine collection last night and found that I had none with foil covered tops so I went a looking on the bay and found this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353359254843?itmmeta=01HQGGXB7T8JA5M1TC9M09DN5A&hash=item5245da553b:g:0r4AAOSwFwlgBt45&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8OyQFVV%2FsLf%2B2D1d6YFRdrfazrIPrkE%2BLG1VFvweEsZhXdQuD6cewhOJh8Bb%2BKCVDPHnQwpDm2hZc4Kn5dEU9VDXKdnFwGYquVxvcO0WPMpRsljlMOOsayl%2BnORWq89K%2FYInFfikkXZLaLdGk0lEDkhhQGdvs8UHAfSsZU4c36GslYh1XTTVAoO47jf3Fvwv4DG9v48R62iI8DErNO8N6JQDpA7PH8OvnyyuvPmPflaJ%2BlknztUOsYkUqJRcLCjPbV8oWZscFcLjhHqh34lsPAo3WyYg1uh%2FSnEprWXH3FC45%2B0uMHFO61OC5a45i5etcQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_qz9ZC8Yw

It's very thin and is self adhesive, not sure if that will make it harder to use or easier to use but hey ho.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I find wine bottle foil too thick, even in 7mm. Instead I just use thin paper painted in gunmetal, then weathered down. Easier to cut, fit and fix.

Yeh I've had good results with that, I use blue king size ciggy papers as I find the red and green ones too thick.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 2

In the past, on the Yelverton station building I think, I used strips of 10thou styrene formed into an "L" and painted grey then drybrushed gunmetal. This allowed me to make the chimney removable through the flashing. Wouldn't work with card roof of this one of course.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Morning Alex,

Shaping up nicely for SWAG ! 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

This is how the group looks all together. Waiting for the paint on the ground to dry (acrylic on dad) before working up the ground cover.

Poor old dad - sorry, couldn't resist. Looks good though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Yes indeed. First though Nailsea.

Alex

Indeed. In the next week or so, I must do some work to Sheep Dip as I had forgotten that the lighting rig had been sold with Bleat Wharf.......

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

This is how the group looks all together. Waiting for the paint on the ground to dry (acrylic on das) before working up the ground cover.

IMG_1281.jpeg.9fabe544d3a1565bf91944f629b11c06.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg.767a9114c8297e2558e06202522ae23d.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg.e61fe0403c877a227863f55d4cf2fb7f.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg.2ca6635136ec5cf10294295029ecce5a.jpeg

I had to do a double take on the pub signs, I thought it was the Eldridge Pope, Huntsmans Ales sign and I wondered what beer from Dorchester was doing in the forest.  When I enlarged the picture the truth was revealed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Indeed. In the next week or so, I must do some work to Sheep Dip as I had forgotten that the lighting rig had been sold with Bleat Wharf.......

Rob

Tricky  things to keep on lighting rigs

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Tricky  things to keep on lighting rigs

Total oversight on my part. I've just ordered three LED striplights. I'll just need to sort out boxing it in. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I had to do a double take on the pub signs, I thought it was the Eldridge Pope, Huntsmans Ales sign and I wondered what beer from Dorchester was doing in the forest.  When I enlarged the picture the truth was revealed.

Oh ye of little faith to think I might use an out of area brewery. Just don’t zoom in too closely on the front of 3737 and spot the Laira shed plate 😊

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1