• RMweb Premium

How. On. Earth. Have I not found this thread before?  Having my own 7mm scale slice of Not Quite The Forest in the garage, nothing like the standard of this model but it keeps me out of trouble, we are inspired by the same books.

I saw mention from @MrWolf about 8745 being a rivetty tank Pannier that ran in the Forest, that is the subject of my Minerva model.

20221227_132708.jpg.c4a413f37c3e44bc15dded927098e2af.jpg

Like Rob, you have inspired me greatly, I must get on with the layout, some medical issues have held things up recently but it's no excuse really!

I look forward to seeing more of your fantastic modelling.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

a chat with CK about riveted tanked panniers in the Forest has got me looking at an Accurascale one.

Indeed, 8729, 8745, 8749 - all variations on the two themes of top feed verses non-top feed and riveted verses welded tanks...

All worked in the Forest during the time that people like Ben Ashworth were taking photos.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

3A64A0F2-1815-4B73-9DCA-708B2EB85399.jpeg.60054c25cb8285793d17b3102dcd4e59.jpeg

8749 had top feed and non top feed boilers whilst in the forest. I found out the hard way when I thought doing a top feed version the number seemed more familiar than it normally would have. Turns out I’d already modelled it with riveted tanks and no top feed. A rapid order for new plates followed for the T/F fitted version!

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, PMP said:

8749 had top feed and non top feed boilers whilst in the forest.

That's very interesting. I've been basing my comments on Ben Ashworth photos in the book 'BR Steam in Dean'. I couldn't not readily see any photos of the loco in the larger Lightmoor work.

I have a feeling that the riveted tank, top-feed version is not on the first batch of Accurascale panniers (although I stand to be corrected).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's very interesting. I've been basing my comments on Ben Ashworth photos in the book 'BR Steam in Dean'. I couldn't not readily see any photos of the loco in the larger Lightmoor work.

I cross referenced two books, one was almost certainly SiD, where I think I took the original source pic from.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wiggoforgold said:

A brace of panniers await their next duty at Lydbrook Dean

IMG_1069.jpeg.c97c5d95179ac57669245a747c394c92.jpeg

Double headed panniers in the Forest?! - must be taking a rest from the weedkilling train, or waiting while the quarry shunter loads an exceptionally heavy train of ballast hoppers...

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Presumably you're thinking of those evocative shots on pages 25 and 27 of Ashworth/Pope, that always make me think of Appalachian coal-hauler layouts 😎

10 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Double headed panniers in the Forest?!

Yep - as FWW alludes to, it did happen, & thanks to Mr Ashworth, we have photos to prove it!! 😁👍🥳

• Like 1