All the turnout motors have been installed. I’ve tested them with a 9v battery attached the the terminals. The Peco points make a satisfying “clunk” as the blades go across, the effect of the over-centre spring in the tie bar.

I’ve made up a switch panel and installed the switches. The wiring is installed and the next step is to connect it to the switches.

IMG_0752.jpeg.4299e2f1ae8983e78499044a9bb4875b.jpegIMG_0751.jpeg.73e859c66f40651b2f177bf73bb3303f.jpeg

• Like 9

On 25/07/2023 at 15:20, wiggoforgold said:

The 16xx is a new addition to the motive power for Lydbrook Dean. It’s a Rapido model, fitted with Sprat and Winkle coupling loops, Modelu crew, Railtech number plates and weathered with powders. 
I sprayed different areas of the body with gloss and Matt varnishes, to try and give a contrast between areas which had been given a bit of a clean, and those left dirty.

IMG_0734.jpeg.3e22c64a2c8abca563f4e1961965e413.jpeg

Hello Alex

You may have mentioned this before, whose fine ballast have you used in this shot ?

Regards, Chris

2 hours ago, steaming_chris said:

Hello Alex

You may have mentioned this before, whose fine ballast have you used in this shot ?

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris

The ballast is a mixture of Woodland scenics grey and brown ballasted. Mixed dry 50/50 and shaken together in a box. It is applied dry and soaked with Woodland scenics scenic cement

Cheers, Alex

On 03/08/2023 at 17:47, wiggoforgold said:

Hi Chris

The ballast is a mixture of Woodland scenics grey and brown ballasted. Mixed dry 50/50 and shaken together in a box. It is applied dry and soaked with Woodland scenics scenic cement

Cheers, Alex

Thank you Alex

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lydbrook Dean is alive! All the turnout motors have been installed and tested. The sections have all been wired up and apart from one small area, are operational.

The biggest problem was the mystery short circuit that occurred when I first switched everything on. Extensive work with a circuit tester tracked it down to the centre and right hand roads of the 3 way point. A rewire of that area looms, but nothing that will stop progress with the scenery on the station board.

Here's a picture of the unsuspecting 3 way point awaiting it's rewire.

IMG_0765.jpeg.7007fe4c1b753d60764d2fd9467c0643.jpeg

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex - your 57XX/8750 numbers are the same as some of my panniers - we must be reading the same books (of course we are!).

A couple of suggestions, which I intend to follow up on in due course - 7788 was never repainted into BR black and survived until the early 1960s in a very dark and dirty GWR green, but with 'GWR' still legible on the tank sides. It certainly worked on the Bullo to Cinderford section and there is a photo of it and it's train stopped outside a pub in Soudley on that branch.... John Farmer bought a P4 converted one last year and it is currently with me, waiting the detailing that you have just described and then weathering. It will then see use on 'Parkend Marsh Sidings'.

Also, 8745 was one of the riveted tank versions - I have a mind to try some Archers rivets on a Bachmann body and see how it turned out.

Also - one or two 64XXs appeared in the Forest on rail tours, as far as I'm concerned it would be rude to ignore them!

Finally, 5420 (one of the very last surviving 54XXs at the time) was outstabled at Lydney for a while, for the Sharpness school trains (via Gloucester) and would almost certainly not have been used on goods trains in the Forest, but... who knows....?!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely modelling Alex.

You have certainly captured this Forest trio nicely.

Some nice prototype acutraments embellish the models giving them that work-a-day Forest look.

The Railtec 3D printed numberplates from Steve look good and I have been converted. An excellent product.

All the best for the forthcoming exhibition.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1