Upper Hembury, East Devon - a GWR / SR Branch line

BWsTrains

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2023 at 11:25, BWsTrains said:

Before leaving the topic of MIA, I've got to report that both Heds (SWMBO) and I were taken aback, even shocked, on arriving at Munich Airport and duly joining the immigration queue for non-EU travellers.

What could trigger this reaction but a VERY prominent sign directed only to UK passport holders. Not those from the Middle East, Africa or other remote and troubled places, but only citizens of Old Blighty were singled out for special attention.

They were warned to hold:

A Valid passport. (doh!)

Health insurance (such as private travel insurance or an EHIC/GHIC).

Enough money to cover your stay in the EU.

Return or onward travel ticket.

and AFAIR, also proof of accommodation arrangements for all the time while in the EU.

This struck us as being distinctly OTT.

Possibly just because the rules have recently changed for UK travellers, and so they think it's worth a reminder? Wheras those from the rest of the world have always been subject to those rules and so are expected to know already?

I'm surprised it just says "Valid Passport" as there's been a lot in the media here about people getting denied entry after being caught out by the "little known" (read - very well publicised at the time, but they didn't bother to read it) Schengen rule that the passport must have been issued in the last 10 years. We used to be able to get up to 9 months added - my current one was renewed 7 months before the previous one expired, and so it's expiry date is 10 years and 7 months after issue - but for entry into the EU, those extra months aren't recognised.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 hours ago, Nick C said:

Possibly just because the rules have recently changed for UK travellers, and so they think it's worth a reminder? Wheras those from the rest of the world have always been subject to those rules and so are expected to know already?

"Ah ha! That's where your argument falls to the ground" (with my apologies to Monty Python...)

We fell into the RotW group for our arrival at Munich and were asked for none of the information in the UK list beyond the self-evident need for a valid passport. I just checked the Australian Govenment's site for its travel advisories into the EU (and Germany in particular) and could find none of the other items from my earlier list noted as requirements.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Informative/Useful 1

A rare wet and miserable day in Melbourne has resulted in progress on several fronts.

Mostly activity revolved around the Bay line and loading area but first I needed to install an uncoupler in the approaches. Here I chose to try one of my Kadee #308s rather than a home built one. The location was convenient being at the front and with no supports or hardware underneath.

The Kadee #308 under track decoupler is very good but at 5.9mm thick I needed to cut out a hole to mount it. That will in time give me a chance to try some sort of lowering mechanism if unwanted uncoupling occurs on departure from the bay (I suspect, Not)

BayUncoupler01.jpg.936e9ecc84a841c8170761c7ab47f286.jpg

Here the hole has an under-support and a 3mm spacer to raise the top of the uncoupler to just under the rails. It is of course easier to cut a complete hole rather than a suitable rebate, if only supports, hardware , wires and other items didn't occupy so much space. For this spot I got lucky.

BayUncoupler02.jpg.8e96bb8f8d5466866fa2f6c1502241c2.jpg

Finally with the uncoupler in place; to compare a home built one sits in the adjacent track.

BayUncoupler03.jpg.889b567a3af574f28e756828f0c23e5b.jpg

While I had the platform removed I decided to install another uncoupler, this time in the spur off the run-around loop. Not so lucky this time, a nearby Cobalt prevented cutting fully through so a home built one will go here. I've described these earlier. around 4 mm or two of the 5 ply layers chiselled out.

RunaroundSpurUncoupler01.jpg.1a16156dc6696f3978a8b6c549c0cd85.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

"Ah ha! That's where your argument falls to the ground" (with my apologies to Monty Python...)

We fell into the RotW group for our arrival at Munich and were asked for none of the information in the UK list beyond the self-evident need for a valid passport. I just checked the Australian Govenment's site for its travel advisories into the EU (and Germany in particular) and could find none of the other items from my earlier list noted as requirements.

As I understand it, they could have asked you if they wanted to - they will have already known that you have a return ticket booked from the airline's passenger information, perhaps if you didn't they'd ask more questions! I've not been asked anything either on my post-Brexit visits to Schengen.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Nick C said:

As I understand it, they could have asked you if they wanted to - they will have already known that you have a return ticket booked from the airline's passenger information, perhaps if you didn't they'd ask more questions! I've not been asked anything either on my post-Brexit visits to Schengen.

I think you've missed my point here Nick.

If these were firm /binding requirements, viz enough money, health insurance, etc. then I'm confident that our Govt would be warning us about them in bold print. The only warnings they have for us on Germany are for increased terrorist risks. That they don't address other issues says a lot when the Germans tell incoming UK nationals about those particular requirements. Perhaps we need to agree to disagree here?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

I think you've missed my point here Nick.

If these were firm /binding requirements, viz enough money, health insurance, etc. then I'm confident that our Govt would be warning us about them in bold print. The only warnings they have for us on Germany are for increased terrorist risks. That they don't address other issues says a lot when the Germans tell incoming UK nationals about those particular requirements. Perhaps we need to agree to disagree here?

I'm surprised that your government don't have such a warning - the rules are the same for all third-country nationals entering Schengen (the only difference is whether or not you need a visa) - but I suspect the German authorities are enforcing them more vigorously for UK nationals - and I'll agree that it does say a lot, as neither Polish not Greek borders (the ones I've crossed recently) have any such signs...

But I apologise, this is getting rather off topic!

Progress also made on the loading platform of the bay line. I've used 2.5mm foam sheet as per @Mikkel's method, finding benefits in both the EVA an PS materials. In this photo the edging pavers have been made by scribing the smooth EVA sheet then painting with acrylic.

The broad area behind has been made from the PS foam, less useful for scribing (it can be done with care but the PS is more brittle) but its benefit comes from a more open surface texture. If you don't use too thick a paint, the rough structure gives a satisfactory variable finish. The smooth edge pavers have been given a dirty wash to suggest the ongoing loading of traded items.  While it doesn't show i this shot the surface has washes applied to give some good variation in tones. This might be better seen in a side on shot.

BayloadingPlatform2.jpg.27b20e0b5f85b5be3ee420d0bd2d4d36.jpg

With the loading area fitted, some level adjustment was needed, presently plastered

Platformoverview2.jpg.9f73a75958bc3187282648d992f9f33f.jpg

• Like 17

I've realised I've not said anything recently about my progress on the station build while busily writing about travels, updates on uncoupler installs and platform matters. That's not to say nothing has happened, it's just that the closing stages of the build have been a litany of minor jobs and it didn't seem worth posting ongoing photos of "still not quite there" steps of my progress.

Variously, I've completed all the guttering surrounding the canopy skylight cavity, added gutters and down-pipes (Auhagen 48 643) for the remainder of both buildings, the remaining quoins, the footings of the extension section plus various painting jobs to complete these off. It was when the gutters and down pipes finally went on that a sense of nearing completion emerged 😎

Presently it all sits upended, allowing gravity to assist the final joining of the two sections. Photos to follow.

On yet another topic, The ex-Granby engine shed. 

@john dew's generous donation to my project arrived here an embarrassingly long time ago now, and after a quick inspection and minor repairs has sat in careful storage. It made a brief uncredited appearance during pannier week here:

Engine Shed at Pannier week

My recent flurry of activity had me energised to dust it off for a more detailed examination. Further repairs to more of the aging kit joins were needed, some proving fortuitous as I could access the roof ventilation structure to repaint it. The aging bluestone building looked out of keeping in Southern Devon and the 1960 Kingsbridge photos have given me some ideas for a suitable stone engine shed of the era / region.

Initial steps have involved repainting fresh coats of GWR Stone #3 on the doors, guttering and downpipes, and other peripherals, thereby undoing some fine weathering applied to suit the 1948 Granby setting. Encouragingly, my home blended #3 Dark Stone proved to be a good match to John's Railmatch shade.

Next up I need to look at the question of the stone work, getting it suitably lightened in colour. Some experimentation is in order.

Edited by BWsTrains
typo
  • Like 7

Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to a visit from my carpenter friend, Kevin, to catch up on progress. This has been much delayed for various reasons and it gave me a big incentive to tidy up and get some trains running.

First on the agenda though was the turnout control panel, now marked up to show what's where and with a pull list for the Single Slip. Most helpful to visualise the routes as I've discovered two switches in need of correction, presently set contrary to required. Remarkably everything ran as required without any shorts! I may colour code the routes before the grand-kids descend en masse at Christmas time.

MimicPanel1.jpg.071eb69211dd80b04d94a4d3b4f54820.jpg

PS, well the first fix was easy, rotate the switch, the other less so. I had the wrong route showing in the wrong colour! That is less easy given the way the LEDs are wired up so 2hrs later, much effing and blinding later, I now sit content with a calming Hilltops Shiraz as my reward for fixin' it up, eventually! Anyone with a mind to, can try to spot the errant switch in the photo.

Lights indicate the selected road, not the direction of throw of the blades. Knowing me, probably the exact opposite of real railways but it works for me and that's what matters round here. 

Edited by BWsTrains
PS added re repairs
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, checkrail said:

What a transformation!  Good work. Phil's @Harlequin signal box nameplates are great aren't they?

Thanks!

I can see that I really should supply a, "No unauthorized person allowed in the box", plate as part of the pack. Every box needs one!

(I did think about supplying S and T plates to hang outside the box as well. They wouldn't apply to most people's period of modelling but it still might be a nice addition.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A Few (more) Notes on the Railway Buildings of Upper Hembury.

When I came to completion of my Engine shed, I had a look around for the sorts of stonework common in East Devon. As a guide I used these fine buildings; Exeter St David’s and St Andrews Broadhembury as well as the common buildings of the area’s villages. (see Oct 8 post)

The main impression I got at a macro level was that of generally pinkish shaded grey stonework, cornices and quoins being typically much lighter (high quality Beer Freestone).

For the less grand railway buildings of my setting, the pinkish grey stone theme seemed appropriate and so the Signal box was completed with a new blend.

Numerous feature (darker) stones were individually highlighted in a variety of brown shades, some blended with a touch of red. The wash to finish was a few coats of 1 part Vallejo Burnt Umber to 4 parts TiO2 White, suitably diluted. The Burnt Umber is biased to red and the end result to the eye has a subtle shade of pink over grey.

Sadly, my present interior lighting failed to bring this out in my earlier photos, similarly my GWR Stone shades lack the red element which I can see. It may be because my main lighting is “Cool White” LED it represses the red, certainly the roof tiles are more blue when photographed than when seen.

Now, armed with a new camera I tried some daylight shots and these are much nearer the results as I see them.

SignalBoxA4.jpg.a23702012ed4af4f07d9bead694dabb0.jpg

SignalBoxA3.jpg.1bdb3c80df83fd706564c44fc4e4c45e.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains
typo
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Goods Shed

I had hoped to be moving on next to my cattle dock but the vagaries of the UK Postal System have a crucial parcel residing somewhere in limbo. For the last 11 days UK tracking tells me its status has been "Leaving the UK". Projected delivery date remains 14th Oct! Is anyone awake over there, probably all watching the rugby?

So, it will be the Goods Shed instead.

As to design, I decided that the standard footprint "Large shed" e.g Ratio 534, consumed too much space between the siding and the adjacent mileage tracks. Yet a typical small shed didn't seem right for my setting so I adopted the DIY approach, turning to design a shed of intermediate size. Where should I turn to for inspiration but Hintock Redux. John Flann faced a similar cramped space problem and his shed is IMO a delight of design. Prototypical it may not be yet a perfect fit to his setting. Here it is seen mirrored to match my configuration. The original photo was lost in the great RMWeb crash so hopefully no issues in returning it to the site.

JFGoodsShedDetailHR-MirrorforUH.jpg.1a81e32919112ecd859dcb684822a808.jpg

For my build, I followed my preferred method of two halves assembly. Two units, each an end + a side joined together, and the two units checked but not made whole. The side walls are cut to size and framing timbers attached to them. I find it much easier to have the correct (and accurate) sized walls then place the framework to fit! Bizarre perhaps but it works.

GoodsShedassembly1.jpg.a3325c3ddd2e1cecf5e59e43953b1e11.jpg

The two units align perfectly but remain separate. It is easier to add wall veneers, paint and detail this way.

GoodsShedassembly2.jpg.0a267916654fc6daa6c7e49ec8ead11c.jpg

Here it's shown together as I add the loading platform module which simply sits on supports attached to the end walls.

Stonework veneers are also easy to get to fit this way. At this stage they're all cut and primed, awaiting full painting.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice looking job, Colin.

On the subject of UK posting of parcels. I had a loco posted on the the 10th of October and it's still sitting in an airport, probably in Heathrow. It had an estimated arrival date of 26th of October.. I don't see that happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Progress on various elements of the Goods Shed build.

Walling veneers of Slater's Stone Courses were cut to size and applied to the two halves of the building. This also easier to align when working on half a building.

GoodsShedsides2.JPG.c2aa8073d91fec0f3a57e84b444c08ba.JPG

Next, the two halves after all the sheets have been applied and brickwork finished in the UH stone.

GoodsShedSides3.jpg.3075448575084e6ba3217c104216b4d5.jpg

For the roof I've used old recycled 4mm plywood to overcome the inevitable warping that occurs with using the tile overlay method if done onto card alone. No internal roof trusses are required for visual reasons so not building them was a plus here. Here the two roof halves have their alignment grid glued down. Also in this photo the sliding doors (Wills Tongue and Groove Boarding SSMP220 + PS strip) for the shed side loading access, the LCUT window panels with their framing and the internal unloading platform.

GoodsShedRoofingandaddons.jpg.ef90fda0e0d8014293172aa0a85c8dd3.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

More progress on the Goods Shed build which is nearing completion.

1) Assembling the right-angle halves to whole. Two acrylic blocks make this very easy, each would weigh near 1kg so provide the immovable objects

assembly1.jpg.01eb77ba212776e92cb9f783cfaf0e8e.jpg

Window frames and glazing were added earlier before final assembly was started. The standard UH brickwork is getting easier every time now.

Finishing1.jpg.7c6f610ca7747a984b00482a74ee0acf.jpg

Detailing the loading platform and the various timbers, internal and external now done. Not so obvious yet but internal stonework was also added as visibility from outside makes this a useful feature.

Finishing3.jpg.14ee6d25f73486b01d5dfd84099b08b7.jpg

The interesting design of the Shed is best seen end on. I'll have some more on this when I post the completion photos in the next day or two.

Finishing2.jpg.34b9605a6c48cf85b6240023a42428fa.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

More detailing and finishing off.

Today I've added the loading bay doors and rails, guttering, soffits and downpipes. Getting closer now but still the inevitable final jobs to complete.

GoodsShedassembly4.jpg.c70dde2a6a92deffe990dc2ca4ec0459.jpg

GoodsShedassembly3.jpg.69f60c09562cb1a983cc430bf5655614.jpg

One job pending is the lead sheeting for the ridge covering. Nothing around here is wasted so some old Scalescenes slate roofing sheet is over-painted roughly to give me my raw material.

LeadFlashing.JPG.d8440cbaa9c54e1be4698acae52384bf.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2