Upper Hembury, East Devon - a GWR / SR Branch line

BWsTrains

• RMweb Premium

very nice work Colin, interested in your painting process it looks like you paint everything on the bench. Then add to the model and then you must tidy it up where necessary then touch up? 
Very refined I tend to do the opposite as I want it together now! Then deal with it! Impatient some people call it!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Cattle Dock and more on General Freight Handling

A detour back into the history of Upper Hembury is appropriate here to understand the development of the site between its opening and my 1930s setting.

The GWR acquired lands for UH as per the common practice of those days, by Act of Parliament in 1881. Times were very hard and a collaborative environment was in order, The Earl of Southampton was the richest / largest land holder in East Devon and he sought considerable concessions, seeing the railway as a positive for the area. So it was that an initial proposal included both access into the Tale Valley (across the Earl's own Estate) as well as on land he owned in the village, bounded by the Tale River to the West, Church St (to the North East ) and the Honiton Road to the East. 

In the first instance agreement was restricted to lands immediately needed to open the Branch Line to the original design, here:

UHStage1schematic_4.jpg.dd739bef99918f2871ca81638704317e.jpg

Shown is the proposed original track plan and layout with a simple runaround loop and tracks to a Cattle Dock and General Goods Siding. In the original design the Bay siding was a concession to the Earl for his own personal train / carriage. The overall setting has similarities to the early design at Wallingford, but limited goods handling was managed via a small dock on the Spur, located off the runaround loop.

Later additions and expansion allowed for further sidings nearer to the Honiton Road and a dedicated Goods shed was added, adjacent to the Cattle Dock on the former Mileage siding (I'm unclear when this practice / naming came into use). After this, the original unloading Spur was used mostly for parking the likes of Goods vans but came back into use with the general growth in business activity. Easy end offloading of vehicles was a particular advantage.

The next stage of my project is the build of the infrastructure between the Cattle Dock siding and the Goods loop.

Edited by BWsTrains
correction
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hornby Class 48xx Update

While a quality RTR 48xx remains somewhat of a "Holy Grail", I suffered my fair share of pain finding a model which to so central to my branch line memories. Much of what I reported some 5-6 years ago is now lost so excuse me if I revisit this topic.

The Airfix/ Hornby series of 48xx releases over some 38+ years saw some improvements (better motor etc.) but many of the legacy issues continued to haunt newer re-releases, most importantly rubber traction tyres on the rear driving wheel axle, sprung rear axle, generally poor wheel wipers, even in the latest "generation" Centre of Gravity problems.

None of these are conducive to giving a model anything near track ready, especially after a few years use when wipers often failed completely. My solution, after a few misadventures went as follows:

• Identify the best of the bunch and fine one. Easier said than done but with some excellent help from @adb968008 I settled on Hornby R2778 (4869 - GWR Shirtbutton) and by good chance one came up on pre-owned.
  • Next find an Airfix 48xx as donor for a wheelset, (which have been out of stock as spares for ever)
  • Swap out the dreaded traction tyres, quartering etc. and then remove all inside wipers. With further useful help from @Barry Ten I set about installing a full set of wheel rim wipers, as shown here.

48691.jpg.6d7aeacd59f250210b0029a60699b9f0.jpg

• Add a hefty stay alive and 4869 would cross my worst insulfrog gap on Westown-Heathfield at as slow as speed step 6 on the NCE DCC control.

Only tweak which was needed in my recent service was to open out the BTB spacings to default and the loco runs very sweetly indeed, shown here at speed step 3 through my British Finescale OO turnouts

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Station Approach

I've noted the significant influence which the Earl of Southampton exerted on development of the branch line. He anticipated having many guests, whether arriving via the LSWR (Sidmouth Jct) or the GWR mainline and wanted them to arrive at a station of note. Hence when it came to the approach road (for his visitors would be take on by Carriage to Dunkswell Grange #)  he had no desire to present them with a horse poo polluted rough macadam road. Instead a fine granite sett ramp was installed, it reached from Church Street up to the main station entrance.

This is my effort to produce this route of access.

ApproachRoad1.jpg.58f65e117ab6271f5d879c0735b65f9d.jpg

ApproachRoad2.jpg.fa007230c44cd1abfd843df59763a7f3.jpg

As before I've used @Mikkel 's method, imprinting into EVA sheet. I'll follow with the details, but the source is on the Farthing Blog here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/23431-when-in-danger-or-in-doubt-progress-on-the-fourth-bite

This site offers helpful guidance ragarding late Victorian road suracing.

http://www.glias.org.uk/journals/8-a.html

To quote "Towards the end of the (19th) century, when wood and asphalt surfaces prevailed, granite setts continued to be used in preference to such surfaces where a good foothold for horses was essential, as when the gradient exceeded 1 on 60. They were also used where wear was likely to be high, as at road junctions

And this useful essential resource on horse poo  (again with thanks to @Mikkel

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/24929-a-pictorial-record-of-horse-manure/

# The Earl had his own private stop at Dunkeswell Grange but it was ill-suited for his guests. There were many reasons of which I shall relate more in due course!

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 14

44 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Looks good Colin. I find it stressful the first 5 minutes, then therapeutic for about 10 minutes, then very dull for about 50 minutes 🙂

Thx Mikkel,

I guess that it being my first time on setts, there was more challenge in maintaining the quality and positioning of each stone so I didn't have time to relax or get bored!  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Returning to the Traverser entry screen, I've been working on a suitable transition between side and front panels.

First try at this was fashioned out of 6mm galv mesh overlaid with papier mache (I later switched to using a torn up old sheet). The final layers were PVA reinforced Plaster of Paris. 

An additional support was added and then attachment by magnets. (magnets on the uprights, thin sheet metal on the panel)

Cornerpiece1.JPG.663d1012b1a5c67cd84747b5195c5598.JPG

Cornerpiece3.JPG.16a27c4fef018e125377134cd8394cf7.JPG

Using magnets, all the sections are easy to position and remove if required.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Best wishes to everyone for the Festive Season.

I thought I'd finish the year with a summary of some operations on Christmas Eve when our young Sydney visitors arrived.

First up a crisis at T minus 2hrs when any outbound loco from the station triggered a short on the single slip. A short which didn't stop when the loco was removed! After some calming advice from @SRman I went back and found the issue. The two slip switchblades were installed in the kit just a shade to close each other (where they butt up end to end but should have a gap!). Forward motion was enough to bring the rails together; issue was "fixed" for operation session but needs a permanent resolution.

Then Ops went very well, stock movements on/off the traverser, trains pulling into UH, loco then running around for the outbound run. Even a goods run where the uncouplers delivered superbly, amazing the youngsters with my ability to uncouple and then relocate wagons in uncoupled mode. A Brake van was even parked to the short dock siding while goods wagons were shunted around. Most satisfying.

I even enlisted some help on building further embankments but time just flew away all too quickly.

Finally, an overview of the Station and Yards, tidied up greatly for the visitors. From this angle nearly all the yard uncouplers can be seen. I was thinking to do more reporting on progress made during 2023 but that'll have to wait a few days. Young James from Perth and I might just make more progress once he gets here for the remaining days of the Calendar.

Overview1.jpg.8133ad6c32308673f69ecd0162aa12ca.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains
typos and more typos courtesy of autocorrect!
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

While my advice ended up not being on the right track (no pun intended), I'm glad it set you off on a more methodical approach to the troubleshooting.  You may be able to get a small slitting disc in to enlarge the gap then fill it with something with insulating qualities to stop the rails closing up again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Early last month I returned to look my Class 48xx which got a trial run on UH.

Over New Year we had visitors from Perth on an extended stay and young James was very keen to put UH though its paces, running the majority of my small wheelbase locos to the four corners of the layout. This in itself highlighted a range of issues requiring attention plus ideas for new opportunities. So much so that I'm prompted to prepare a 2024 Actions Listing.

Since I retired, I've had an aversion to being tied to action lists of most sorts (well beyond the weekly shopping run and OS travel). My attitude aligning with the late great Douglas Adams who once noted of Deadlines, that "he loved the wooshing sounds as they went racing by!"

Still, nothing's for ever and  I'm contemplating what might go on the list!

Returning to 4869 it occurred to me that its excellent running might offer hope that I could upgrade to sound. The newest generation ZIMO chips have a smaller footprint, and can support up to 1000uF of SA Capacitors directly wired. Presently I have 2200uF on board so first step was to pull the old install apart and explore how well it ran without SA support.

This shows the configuration as used in the video.

4869DCCfinal.JPG.00a2b76250e051ade9f42b02b07c79c0.JPG

With the SA and Electrolytic Cap snipped away, the loco was given a brief test run. Wipers needed a quick adjust and then it ran very well with just the faintest of hesitation, probably due to my still not perfectly cleaned track.

The second photo shows a dummy MS500 Sound chip (14*10*3mm) installed over the motor, so I could test the remaining headroom in the firebox area. There is a 0.75mm spacer lifting the "chip" above the rotor. I can see there is a further clear 3mm above when the bodywork is fully in place and tightened, so I can leave a greater gap between motor and chip in the full install.

4869v3_1.JPG.c36b3bf7c8c542f5e35a3f8f6f48c9ea.JPG

The Chip is as far forward as it'll fit but this leaves room at the rear for a tidy exit of the wiring down to the Cab floor. The speaker can then sit in the bunker.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Early last month I returned to look my Class 48xx which got a trial run on UH.

Over New Year we had visitors from Perth on an extended stay and young James was very keen to put UH though its paces, running the majority of my small wheelbase locos to the four corners of the layout. This in itself highlighted a range of issues requiring attention plus ideas for new opportunities. So much so that I'm prompted to prepare a 2024 Actions Listing.

Since I retired, I've had an aversion to being tied to action lists of most sorts (well beyond the weekly shopping run and OS travel). My attitude aligning with the late great Douglas Adams who once noted of Deadlines, that "he loved the wooshing sounds as they went racing by!"

Still, nothing's for ever and  I'm contemplating what might go on the list!

Returning to 4869 it occurred to me that its excellent running might offer hope that I could upgrade to sound. The newest generation ZIMO chips have a smaller footprint, and can support up to 1000uF of SA Capacitors directly wired. Presently I have 2200uF on board so first step was to pull the old install apart and explore how well it ran without SA support.

This shows the configuration as used in the video.

4869DCCfinal.JPG.00a2b76250e051ade9f42b02b07c79c0.JPG

With the SA and Electrolytic Cap snipped away, the loco was given a brief test run. Wipers needed a quick adjust and then it ran very well with just the faintest of hesitation, probably due to my still not perfectly cleaned track.

The second photo shows a dummy MS500 Sound chip (14*10*3mm) installed over the motor, so I could test the remaining headroom in the firebox area. There is a 0.75mm spacer lifting the "chip" above the rotor. I can see there is a further clear 3mm above when the bodywork is fully in place and tightened, so I can leave a greater gap between motor and chip in the full install.

4869v3_1.JPG.c36b3bf7c8c542f5e35a3f8f6f48c9ea.JPG

The Chip is as far forward as it'll fit but this leaves room at the rear for a tidy exit of the wiring down to the Cab floor. The speaker can then sit in the bunker.

The other option could be to take power from the leading bogie of the attached Autocoach…. Or put the speaker into the luggage area. Obviously you are restricted that they will always run together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/11/2023 at 17:18, AdeMoore said:

very nice work Colin, interested in your painting process it looks like you paint everything on the bench. Then add to the model and then you must tidy it up where necessary then touch up? 
Very refined I tend to do the opposite as I want it together now! Then deal with it! Impatient some people call it!

Sorry Ade,

I missed replying to your question.

You are correct, to the extent that I can I do the majority of the painting as I go. Usually a final wash of some sort will go on after assembly once I'm happy with the job.

Colin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin

Very promising back scene. I see the revised Ordnance Survey map shows how the goods yard sidings terminate at the rear of the High Street - I guess some of these buildings will be represented in the back scene. I know there is no space for the river at that end of the layout but I wonder if you could suggests its presence by creating a low relief version of the bridge?

I had not realised how close the Engine shed stop block would be to the river - good job the rear doorway of the shed is bricked up!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very effective. I've noticed some dark skies appearing on layouts recently, I like the effect. The hills are also nicely done, I think sometimes painted hills are made too green, these are very subtle and convincing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1