Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNER J70 - O Gauge

rapidoandy

Will you guys ever produce an ‘O’ gauge model? It’s something we get asked a lot and now we have the answer: yes!

We’re proposing to enlarge the ‘J70’ tram engine  – originally produced for Model Rail magazine – to the ‘senior scale’. But we’ll only do it if we receive enough ‘expressions of interest’.

5ebcf123-fb20-4095-942e-3c0b93182002.PNG.97457972e3764687ed238843a8f877c0.PNG

The 12 ‘J70’ 0-6-0T were built by the Great Eastern Railway to a design by James Holden. Classified ‘C53’, they were a more powerful version of the earlier ‘G15’ 0-4-0T (LNER ‘Y6’) to cope with traffic demands on the GER’s various roadside tramways and dockyards, most notably the Wisbech & Upwell and those around Yarmouth quay. Board of Trade regulations meant that the motion had to be covered by side plates, cowcatchers were required as were speed governors and a bell.

The ‘J70s’ were built in batches between 1903 and 1921 and 11 became BR property in 1948. Withdrawals started in 1949 and all had been withdrawn by the end of 1955. Sadly, none of these charismatic looking machines were saved for preservation.

Assem-SKU916_-_J70_with_skirts_V2_2022-Aug-03_07-12-48PM-000_CustomizedView23377050984.png.c554c1a4aa23e84d60e290384cc579ad.png

As with the ‘OO’ gauge version, we are proposing to make skirted and non-skirted models. The only difference this time, is that there will be full valve gear under the skirts.

Our new model also includes sliding end and side windows, opening end doors, opening firehole door (to reveal flickering firebox glow). We have also produced a more detailed interior as befits a larger scale model.

As all the ‘J70s’ were different, we’ve taken the same approach with the ‘O’ gauge model as we did with the ‘OO’ one. We’ve included door bumpstops, safety chains and two- and three-bolt seat mounting plates in the polybag so that you can accurately re-create your favourite tram engine.

7a50b112-422b-4d92-84c0-7cdc3c2254de.PNG.a2826fb2c0b8271fb7cc1988090449e2.PNG

It is to features everything you’d expect from a contemporary ‘O’ gauge model: a powerful motor, smooth mechanism, a factory-fitted speaker and an easily accessible DCC socket for ‘plug & play’ DCC conversion. It also has additional solder pads at each end so that additional pick-ups can be easily added, a belt and braces approach to truly maximise its performance potential.

However, these models will only go into production is we receive enough ‘expressions of interest’ (EOI). Click below to register. If we receive enough EOIs, we will contact you so that you can turn yours into an actual order for what promises to be a superb addition to the ranks of ready-to-run ‘O’ gauge models.

1092710886_J70OGaugeSet.jpg.98a0c0c638e4ad004b026ae9b52fcf60.jpg

To let us know your interest please head to our website and complete the form - or tell your Official Retailer to do the same on your behalf at www.rapidotrains.co.uk/lner-j70-o-gauge/

f566aa75-22aa-4e36-af0a-bb8deaab0ee5.PNG

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

mrs_doyle_go_on_-_image.jpg

Ahem.

Interest expressed. 

I thank ewe. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

I hope this is a great success, the quality of your American / Canadian stuff is superb and there’s a few things you’ve done in 4mm I’d love to see in 7mm the 15xx pannier being the most, 

bit without turning this thread into a wish list good luck and I hope it’s the first of many more 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Fantastic news @rapidoandy hope you get the interest you need. I don’t need one of these, but would like one so have expressed my interest in one. 

Good to see that the skirted models will have the valve gear fitted as I fancy having one with a panel or two missing and some of the motion showing. 

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody else had problems with the Rapido website and acceptance of e-mail addresses?

I tried to express my interest in the O gauge J70 on Friday, using the link in the first message,  but the Rapido website site refuses to let me submit my EoI, saying "The entered email address is not valid", without any further explanation.  My e-mail address is valid and I use it all the time,  I sent a PM to rapidoandy on Friday, but have had no reply.  Disappointing.

I apologise - its not always possible to reply to every PM immediately. With a Bank Holiday and other commitments today is the first day I have really been sat at my desk.

I shall have a look - we have had no other reported problems. I will ask our technical man to take a look.

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MikeB said:

Has anybody else had problems with the Rapido website and acceptance of e-mail addresses?

I tried to express my interest in the O gauge J70 on Friday, using the link in the first message,  but the Rapido website site refuses to let me submit my EoI, saying "The entered email address is not valid", without any further explanation.  My e-mail address is valid and I use it all the time,  I sent a PM to rapidoandy on Friday, but have had no reply.  Disappointing.

If you simply copy and paste your email address or it simply populates the 'box' automatically then the site may not accept it. 

If you delete then repopulate part of your email address it works fine. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

If you simply copy and paste your email address or it simply populates the 'box' automatically then the site may not accept it. 

If you delete then repopulate part of your email address it works fine. 

Rob. 

Thanks. Yes, I know that autofill can sometimes add hidden spaces and cause something not to be recognised.  But the fault endures on the Rapido form even when I delete everything, and enter my e-mail address manually.

• 3 months later...

Rapido Trains has extended the deadline, the expression of interest can be sent until 1 February 2023.
I have done it, ordered two locomotives. The confirmation by e-mail went smoothly, maybe the small error has been fixed in the meantime.
The registration does not imply any obligation to buy or pay.

hp43-1h4-ef00.png

see: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/lner-j70-o-gauge/

I find the price reasonable, also compared to other Dapol models. The Walscheart control is much more complex to reproduce than internal cylinders. There was also that the loco ran with cowcatcher, but without skirts. See link below, fourth picture.
The locomotive will also have a built-in loudspeaker, which will make retrofitting sound much easier. The doors will be movable to open and the windows to slide.
A beautiful locomotive, very suitable for a small shunting layout, perhaps with a harbour scene.
So, whoever hasn't done it yet should get in touch so that the project can continue.
Best greetings, Torsten

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/j-holden/c53

Edited by blackmoor_vale
edit link
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, blackmoor_vale said:

There was also that the loco ran with cowcatcher, but without skirts. See link below, fourth picture.

I believe this configuration (i.e. with cowcatchers but without skirts) was available on the Rapido/Model Rail OO versions. A while ago I emailed Rapido to ask whether the cowcatchers would be available as aftermarket spares so that such a loco could be modelled easily, or whether we would have to buy one with skirts and then to attempt to remove the skirts without damaging the model.

Unfortunately I'm not at home atm and I cannot check the answer conclusively, but IIRC the reply was that the models will be produced in a 'modular' fashion and therefore it should be possible to model different configurations. I'm not sure whether that meant that the skirts and cowcatchers would be supplied loose for the buyer to fit themselves or whether it just meant that they would be easier to remove than if they were part of the body moulding.

Once I have access to my old emails I will post Rapido's reply in this thread. I hope they won't mind!

Cheers, Neil.

• Informative/Useful 1

It should also be noted that the price of £376 to £476 displayed by Rapido is the recommended retail price.
Most suppliers have the usual discount of about 15 per cent. At Hattons for example the price is currently 320 pounds for the DC model and 405 GBP for the sound fitted versions.
Other sellers will be in the similar regions.

Greetings, Torsten

Regarding the modelling of a J70 with cowcatchers but without skirts, I emailed Rapido early in October to ask whether the cowcatchers would be available separately or (failing that) whether the sideskirts would be reasonably easy to remove without causing damage to the model - the reply I received was as follows:

"We have asked the factory to make the skirts and cowcatchers modular so that different configurations can be modelled. However, with all these things, we won't know for definite that they have done this until we get the first samples. But it's our plan at the very least!"

Cheers, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

I would like to remind you that in two days (1 of February) the deadline for the inscription for the Rapido O gauge model of the LNER J70 will expire. Rapido Trains had extended the deadline until the end of this month.

Only then, if there are enough interested parties, will the model be produced. It would be a pity if not enough potential buyers were to be found. With the "expression of interest" one does not enter into any obligations and does not have to pay anything. It is only an anticipation of demand.

Here is another picture of the OO model already in production, but the loco should be familiar from Wisbech and Upwell Tramway. Further, it also ran at Great Yarmouth, Ipswich and Colchester Docks.

hp43-1hd-1a9f.jpg

I think the price is quite reasonable, as especially the version with open skirts is quite elaborate. The O-model should also get a factory-fitted loudspeaker even for the analogue versions, which will make retrofitting sound much easier.

The address for registration is: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/lner-j70-o-gauge

Best greetings, Torsten

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

For those not in receipt of the latest Rapido newsletter, the disappointing news is that not enough expressions of interest were received so this project will not be going ahead. I wonder if too many options were presented by Rapido so that people struggled to decide which might be of interest. I did raise this with Rapido but in their opinion and based on comments received on previous potential models that offering a wider selection was their preferred option.

With a model this size, the question of skirts, part skirts, or no skirts is irrelevant in that they can be designed to be removable, in which case the only options will be the choice of livery.

I also wonder if the negativity towards suggestions of upscaling the W&U coaches played a part, no coaches so what might a Tram pull other than wagons?