Identifying old cars from their registration numbers

Jim Martin

1 hour ago, ejstubbs said:

I was surprised, when I bought a towball mounted cycle carrier from Halfords which required a registration plate, they did not ask for any verification of the vehicle id or ownership.  This was in 2018 when AFAIK the 'new' rules had already been in force for quite some time.

That says more about the lack of professionalism of that particular branch of Halfords than anything else.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

My Saab has its front numberplate in such a position that no speed camera can see it. One MOT person tried to fail it. Er, nope, original location. Mind you this was the same person who tried to fail it with no handbrake - works on the front wheels on these 😆

A lot of older cars had plates in positions where they now wouldn't be allowed.

A workmate had a Jaguar 4,2 E type where the number was virtually horizontal on the bonnet (original)

Many other sporty type cars had similar odd positions.

• Like 3

On 09/09/2022 at 19:02, slilley said:

Couple of things, do we know what the make and model of the car is, as it maybe possible to trace its details through either the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, or if not through any records the relevant Owners Club might have.

On the question of consecutive numbers,I have a 1975 MGB GT Jubilee, its a limited edition MGB produced to celebrate 50 years of MG. Only 751 were made. I know of another MGB GT Jubilee with the next sequential number in its registration. I am ***145* and this other car is ***146*. We have managed to get both side by side before now.

Simon

This is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, I took the envelope with photos in it to a restaurant to show my sister (in fact I started this topic while we were still in the restaurant: I told my wife and sister that I knew a group who'd be bound to know about old registration numbers but would probably go off on some tangets as well... and as you can see , I was right!), and on the way home they were put in my wife's handbag, and now the whole lot have vanished. As soon as I find them, I'll post the photo.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1