Glenfinnan Station in O Gauge

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, David Bell said:

This will make a lovely model. Here is the box taken last year on the last day of steam operation for the season. Lòking forward to following your progress.

Cheers

David

20211029_105559.jpg

Thanks David,

What’s going on behind the box? Are they removing the last remnants of the old loading dock?

I’m considering a trip up for the Jacobite in September or October giving me a chance to photograph the station and take some measurements. But Caledonian Sleeper seem to have priced themselves out of the market, so it makes a very long trip from deepest Surrey!

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Andy,

Not sure what is going on behind the gate. I did not pay too much attention on the day. 

I hope you manage to make the trip. Here is a picture to whet your appetite, taken the same day.

I would love to see a tour to Mallaig headed by a Class 27! My first visit was whilst working on SRPS railtours trains in the mid to late seventies. I must have visited almost every other weekend for quite a few summers.

The SRPS seventies railtour train would be an interesting roster for your model, giving you an excuse to have a Gresley buffet, a couple of LMS coaches and the two surviving CR coaches too. We usually had 3 or 4 BR Mk1s in blue/grey to complete the train

Cheers

David

20211029_152012.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The sheer size of O gauge is eye watering (as is the cost of it!), I hope you have a large garden to do justice to the scenery around Glenfinnan. Good luck with your build, it will be interesting to watch it grow.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, young37215 said:

The sheer size of O gauge is eye watering (as is the cost of it!), I hope you have a large garden to do justice to the scenery around Glenfinnan. Good luck with your build, it will be interesting to watch it grow.

Thanks Rob,

I don’t think any garden could do justice to Glenfinnan’s scenery! I don’t have enough level changes to really get the height right but I am planning a water feature giving a run alongside a ‘loch’. I’d love to do the viaduct but that would be over two feet tall, so quite a challenge to fit in!

As for cost, I clearly couldn’t afford a fleet like yours but the track work is not too bad if bought secondhand. What you see in the photo cost under £200. And at least the prices of rolling stock are reasonably stable as economies of size from the growing market cancel out the prevailing price pressures. OO seems to be catching up fast!

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

This is a new thread which I’m starting to chart the progress of my attempt to build a dual purpose model of Glenfinnan station in O gauge. It will form the station area of my garden railway but will be kept inside and will also be transportable as an exhibition layout. I chose Glenfinnan because it is a favourite location of mine and the view from the viaduct captivated me when I first travelled the line in 1983 - long before it was popularised in a certain film!

The thread will record progress on the layout and the stock to run on it.

I’m keeping as close to scale as possible meaning the length of the layout will be c.7Metres. I have mocked up the track plan on some spare baseboards borrowed from a club friend. This is shown below (the lovely station building was built for me by Ed Hall). He is also building me a signal box - the one shown is just a placeholder.

617290F5-6CA8-426A-818F-A63BE9911ED3.jpeg.443570ed4146a20f26adfc986187dffd.jpeg

E8CCF80A-BDFA-4305-B256-D7CA42E3B4E1.jpeg.12ba60848b117d27496f381adbd8fea6.jpeg

The key to the track plan is the station throat. I have built this using points from several different manufacturers, Marcway, Greenwood, Peco and an unknown Y point bought secondhand - possibly Waverley. This has enabled me to have a minimum radius of 8’6” apart from on the inner curve of the curved point where it drops to 6’. While tighter than scale, this was as close as I could get using proprietary products. I think it works well. This is what it should look like.

r_Glenfinnan_goods_yard_throat_1987

And this is what I’ve achieved.

EEDAE2A2-697B-4D13-B7FE-E23B1E36C549.jpeg.516b99434e2d6a10d0cd30f307f5bb0a.jpeg

My plan is to build the layout on trapezium style open plan baseboards of c.1.3m in length (on the long side) and 0.6-0.7m wide. I will need to allow for the ground dropping off in front of the station.

The track plan and infrastructure at Glenfinnan didn’t change much from LNER days until RETB signalling was introduced in the late ‘80s, so my plan is to run a through the ages sequence starting in the 50s and ending in about 1986 with 37/4s but no ghastly sprinters. I may extend back to LNER days as I build up my stock.

I will keep this thread updated as I make progress with the layout and stock.

Any  comments very welcome.

Andy

661CDD6D-FB20-4E6D-891E-59BAF816B6D5.jpeg

Ah, now we know why you want to learn how to build an 0 gauge viaduct!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've made some progress on the layout. I've finalised a plan based off my mock up on the old boards. Here is it drawn up in Anyrail. I've had to bodge the point geometry as Anyrail doesn't have templates for my eclectic range of points. Squares are 1 foot.

476100651_GlenfinnanExhibition5.jpg.8f6161244d2f5aaac02af04f3a7e5c9c.jpg

I've also bought the timber. After some online research and discussions at the timber yard I decided on 9mm OSB3 for the track bed. The boards will be open frame with planed 3x1 timber. I will paint the whole lot with exterior paint (primer, undercoat and topcoat) to protect it before track laying begins.

Here is my friend Peter helping me build the first board. He is a much better carpenter than me, so he's helping me with the first board and I hope to be able to replicate that for the others.

IMG_6980.jpg.1fbd42ea2b005f86d736867e32efff6e.jpg

I finished the framework for the first board (blue board above) last night. The drop on the right is to allow me to represent the land falling away on the right as you leave Glenfinnan heading East. I just need to add the track deck now.

IMG_6990.jpg.dacd112141d7a653016962eb17e8258d.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 10

Hi Andy,

Having built and exhibited my 4mm version of Glenfinnan then you will understand why I shall be watching your progress very closely. By way of a distraction, I couldn't help notice the MGB in the background behind your friend. I have something similar in my garage only it's a 78' Midget 1500.

Interesting ! But stupid ! not many will remember that quote! 😄

Bill.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Hi Andy,

Having built and exhibited my 4mm version of Glenfinnan then you will understand why I shall be watching your progress very closely. By way of a distraction, I couldn't help notice the MGB in the background behind your friend. I have something similar in my garage only it's a 78' Midget 1500.

Bill.

Sock it to me!

I had a '75 Midget for a few years until the family came along and I had to trade up to a four-seater with a roof. I still miss it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Hi Andy,

Bill.

Hi Bill,

Your layout came up very frequently when I was researching mine. Sadly I never saw it but it looks good online. I’d welcome your comments as I proceed.

As for my pride and joy, she was my first car, bought in 1989. She’s now a bit like triggers broom(!) but has been used consistently ever since and was our only car until my son was born in 2003.

Regards

Andy

• Like 4

On 22/09/2022 at 22:56, thegreenhowards said:

Hi Bill,

Your layout came up very frequently when I was researching mine. Sadly I never saw it but it looks good online. I’d welcome your comments as I proceed.

As for my pride and joy, she was my first car, bought in 1989. She’s now a bit like triggers broom(!) but has been used consistently ever since and was our only car until my son was born in 2003.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy ,

I may still have some photos I took on the numerous trips I made to Glenfinnan of buildings, track and other bits and pieces. Let me know if I can help out with anything. 

At the risk of turning this into a Classic Car discussion, I have had my Midget 1500 for 27yrs and it's the only thing that keeps me sane in this ' crazy world '. The smile on people's faces as you drive past is priceless!

Bill.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 22:37, St Enodoc said:

Sock it to me!

I had a '75 Midget for a few years until the family came along and I had to trade up to a four-seater with a roof. I still miss it.

You should have stashed it away somewhere, they are making a comeback, big time! and fetching good money!🚗

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Hi Andy ,

I may still have some photos I took on the numerous trips I made to Glenfinnan of buildings, track and other bits and pieces. Let me know if I can help out with anything. 

At the risk of turning this into a Classic Car discussion, I have had my Midget 1500 for 27yrs and it's the only thing that keeps me sane in this ' crazy world '. The smile on people's faces as you drive past is priceless!

Bill.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the offer of photos. I have found a lot on Flickr, but there were probably lots of useful ones on RMWeb which got lost in the meltdown earlier this year. I’m using 1983 as my base year, so although I’ll run trains from a much wider timespan I’m trying the base the scenery and infrastructure on that year. A lot has changed now, so I suspect many of your visit photos will be too modern, but hopefully some will be useful.

I think I have enough of the running lines and station building now, but anything you could help with in the following areas would be useful.

1. The waiting shelter on the up platform. Anything which shows the back and insides.

r_Glenfinnan_up_platform_and_shelter

2. The back and top of the water tank as seen in this photo.

r_Glenfinnan_up_platform_end_and_water_tank_1987

3. The lamp hut and wooden shed on the loading dock, East of the signal box. Any more detail than below, particularly dimensions.

r_Glenfinnan_sheds_on_loading_bank_1987

4. This little hut in the mid distance by the point. I think this may have appeared after 1983, so I may not need to model it, but any info would be appreciated.

r_Glenfinnan_lkg_west_1987

5. Any more pictures of this concrete shed which was between the signal box and station building. I think it’s been replaced by something bigger and more modern but equally unattractive now.

r_Glenfinnan_goods_store_SE_elevs_1987

6. Any information on the line which the camping/ dining coach is on. I know it drops quite considerably below the level of the running lines but can’t quite work out the orientation round the back of the signal box and how quickly it drops. How far below the running lines is the camping coach? I.e. what happens behind where the photographer is standing for this shot.

r_Glenfinnan_Box_rear_elevation_1987

Ernie’s Railway Archive has been a godsend!

Regards

Andy

• Like 3

I’m following this thread with much interest, both to watch your project develop and also to pick up any new information thrown up as you chart progress/ask questions. For a nice aireal shot of the station I’ve been referring to the ‘Forty miles to Skye’ video on YouTube. I do my YouTube viewings on the television rather than my laptop so the picture is nice and large. This video probably won’t answer to many of your questions above but it’s a wonderful view from 1983. 
I plan to make a start on Glenfinnan and Fort William next year, at least getting the track laid, wired and points motorised and linked into the fiddle yard so I can at least run the timetable. I’m absolutely brimming with enthusiasm and inspiration from Bill’s former layout and your build so watching excitedly.

Best of Luck with it.

Andy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the offer of photos. I have found a lot on Flickr, but there were probably lots of useful ones on RMWeb which got lost in the meltdown earlier this year. I’m using 1983 as my base year, so although I’ll run trains from a much wider timespan I’m trying the base the scenery and infrastructure on that year. A lot has changed now, so I suspect many of your visit photos will be too modern, but hopefully some will be useful.

I think I have enough of the running lines and station building now, but anything you could help with in the following areas would be useful.

1. The waiting shelter on the up platform. Anything which shows the back and insides.

r_Glenfinnan_up_platform_and_shelter

2. The back and top of the water tank as seen in this photo.

r_Glenfinnan_up_platform_end_and_water_tank_1987

3. The lamp hut and wooden shed on the loading dock, East of the signal box. Any more detail than below, particularly dimensions.

r_Glenfinnan_sheds_on_loading_bank_1987

4. This little hut in the mid distance by the point. I think this may have appeared after 1983, so I may not need to model it, but any info would be appreciated.

r_Glenfinnan_lkg_west_1987

5. Any more pictures of this concrete shed which was between the signal box and station building. I think it’s been replaced by something bigger and more modern but equally unattractive now.

r_Glenfinnan_goods_store_SE_elevs_1987

6. Any information on the line which the camping/ dining coach is on. I know it drops quite considerably below the level of the running lines but can’t quite work out the orientation round the back of the signal box and how quickly it drops. How far below the running lines is the camping coach? I.e. what happens behind where the photographer is standing for this shot.

r_Glenfinnan_Box_rear_elevation_1987

Ernie’s Railway Archive has been a godsend!

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Strangely enough the subjects of your photos were exactly the same problems I encountered, amongst others, when I was building my version. My chosen period was based loosely from late 1970's to late 1980's. This necessitated the building of two platform shelters and two signal cabins. Will consult my laptop and see what photos I kept as a general record and keepsake of my builds.

Bill.

Andy,

Following on from my previous post. I did investigate the the siding / gradient which went off behind the signal cabin and small store as I intended to model the two coaches used as dining/cafe and camping coach which sit almost adjacent to the station building. Again, will have to consult my records.

Bill.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Andy,

Following on from my previous post. I did investigate the the siding / gradient which went off behind the signal cabin and small store as I intended to model the two coaches used as dining/cafe and camping coach which sit almost adjacent to the station building. Again, will have to consult my records.

Bill.

Bill,

My understanding is that the camping coach was there in the 1960s (a Pullman) and then absent until reintroduced when the museum opened. I’d like to include one if possible. Do you know of one which was there in the 1980s?

You mention two platform shelters and two signal cabins. Do you have any photos of the second one of each?

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I’m making steady progress on the baseboards and I’ll post a progress on them soon. But in the meantime, I thought I’d share some stock photos.

This is my latest acquisition for Glenfinnan.

1FF886FE-16FF-4EF5-B580-E01336C3E469.jpeg.8e0a8929d2cb6f7347acc3b5c449b43f.jpeg

D2E932AC-6B89-411C-9E06-355B9A2E4ACD.jpeg.b4f5cd31b2fe3b090c5bc091d6d7b1d0.jpeg

D5FF5BCE-C9D3-458D-90B8-E5629DE76A79.jpeg.4c768171d65efd30f27ef914df7e53d7.jpeg

One of the new Heljan 37/4s which came in unnumbered form. It seems to be an improvement on previous Heljan offerings with things like bogie chains included as standard and better fitting brackets for the snow ploughs. I have based it on my favourite 37/4, using Fox nameplates and Railtec transfers. I spent last night attaching all the pipes for which Heljan supply a comprehensive selection and some spares. I also filled in the hole for the RETB mast and painted the head code box which looks fine in the flesh but looks a bit wonky in the photo - any suggestions on how I get that straight?! It’s supposed to be in early condition representing the period between naming on 1/9/86 and RETB in Dec 1987. I.e. similiar to the photo below but without the RETB kit (and rather less dented!). I’m not sure whether the white ended pipe under the left buffer on mine should be attached as I can’t see it in the photo. Anyone know what this was for?

Class 37/4 no. 37408 Loch Rannoch @ Glenfinnan, 30/06/1988 [slide 8823]

I’ve just done one end of the pipes for now as the other end will be coupled to the coaches and I can’t couple it up with everything attached!

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I made some progress on the baseboards yesterday. I now have three frames built and the OSB3 decking fir the track is roughly cut as you can see below.

8E800741-B9E0-43F8-861B-64A4259979EF.jpeg.73ed74b97c7b33b4e7b5ebf0ecca4431.jpeg

E773C345-C5DF-4166-96C5-1E09037879E3.jpeg.aa1724be7d2c581dcf508eeae6ac57cc.jpeg

This shot shows the lines descending to the loading bank and camping coach line.

A15D09B6-E18F-45D9-9F8B-CE41325CB7D3.jpeg.4c396feb9bab7aa4e48783eb79bda81a.jpeg

I’m still jiggling the exact alignment to make sure I’m happy. I will then cut the deck closer to the track alignment, glue it down and paint the three boards fully before permanent track laying.

Andy

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

As I said in my first post, I intend the layout to cover quite a wide time frame from the 1950s until RETB introduction in 1987. So time for a steam loco! Here is my first and only working steamer so far.

33EA40A1-6208-46B9-BBE0-76052CC4A398.jpeg.3b0bd58c237a0c6f23c8c8c363b338f1.jpeg

EE115BEC-B421-4888-8B64-13DD828CBE22.jpeg.f43eb2d2ce46b7fecbfa5ff39d1deaa9.jpeg

BBC767B1-F892-41BF-96DE-6EC41A752D4A.jpeg.3a42f54f39b41ae86e790e00e8bd8265.jpeg

I acquired this from my friend and fellow RMWebber, @bbishop. All I’ve done so sort out some dodgy pick up arrangements so that it runs smoothly and renumber it to one of the Fort William regulars. This loco features in many West Highland photos of the ‘50s and early ‘60s, so will be at home on my Mallaig fish train or some maroon coaches. I’ll show the stock later once I have more of a layout to pose them on.

An alternative use will be on the West Highlander steam train. The preserved K1, 62005 was renumbered to 62052 for a while in the mid 1990s. By this time, I think it was called the Jacobite and had maroon coaches, so I will have to bend the facts slightly as mine will run with green and cream Mk1s.

I used Railtec transfers for the renumbering. The smokebox door number and shed plate are 3D water slide transfers. The first time I’ve used these, but they are cost effective and seem to work well. 

FBDBAA62-4BE1-4288-945A-1373C09CE946.jpeg.c23ba5dcdd3de0bbb05593410433ae09.jpeg

Sorry for the orientation of the photo!

Andy

• Like 8

On 25/09/2022 at 21:30, thegreenhowards said:

Bill,

My understanding is that the camping coach was there in the 1960s (a Pullman) and then absent until reintroduced when the museum opened. I’d like to include one if possible. Do you know of one which was there in the 1980s?

You mention two platform shelters and two signal cabins. Do you have any photos of the second one of each?

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am having some difficulty tracking down some of my photos of Glenfinnan as I had a bit of a clear out . I am still looking.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1