The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The road to the moon and beyond to Mars.

ERIC ALLTORQUE

• 2 weeks later...

Some say :

Linlithgow was the birthplace of Montgomery "Scotty" Scott.

But Glenelg is where he trained to be a space engineer.

image.png.e7c1ad7e115b1d3a3381d7588f6aa021.png.cb04c748658a5b71241dc886d238ed16.png

It's a real thing. See for yourself on Google Street View.

https://www.google.com/maps/@57.2172845,-5.5969427,3a,40.6y,245.05h,82.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj2WoULXaK_G_mA9dene3Yw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB&entry=ttu

About Linlithgow :

https://www.linlithgowmuseum.org/future

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

What an amazing achievement,all going to plan and hot stageing working,this is only the second flight of something that has twice the thrust of saturn five and weighs more than 5000 tons at launch,it was possibly the booster was destroyed after seperation on purpose,this is a big gain

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 57xx said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the booster explosion was a deliberate test of the FTS, given the "failure" of it to operate properly last time.

After 'flipping' (pitch attitude by 180°) for the return flight of the super heavy booster, there were visible gases (T+3:07) and small explosions (T+3:11) at the rocket engine end before explosion. Raptor reignition* was asymmetrical (again).

* They all shut down properly but either didn't restart properly or shut down again

It's quite possible the booster explosion was a self-destruction. After the 'flip' maneuver the super-heavy booster is pointed (more or less) right back to the Star Base launch area. It's an easy decision for a range safety officer if it is not under perfect control - and there were multiple explosions at the fiery end.

The Raptor configuration didn't look particularly stable. With so many Raptors the MTBF seems pretty low for the super heavy booster as a whole system. I don't know how much the thrust vectoring can independently compensate for failed Raptors.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/11/2023 at 19:44, Ozexpatriate said:

After 'flipping' (pitch attitude by 180°) for the return flight of the super heavy booster, there were visible gases (T+3:07) and small explosions (T+3:11) at the rocket engine end before explosion. Raptor reignition* was asymmetrical (again).

* They all shut down properly but either didn't restart properly or shut down again

It's quite possible the booster explosion was a self-destruction. After the 'flip' maneuver the super-heavy booster is pointed (more or less) right back to the Star Base launch area. It's an easy decision for a range safety officer if it is not under perfect control - and there were multiple explosions at the fiery end.

The Raptor configuration didn't look particularly stable. With so many Raptors the MTBF seems pretty low for the super heavy booster as a whole system. I don't know how much the thrust vectoring can independently compensate for failed Raptors.

After looking at the footage again, I'd agree it was a proper termination due to booster failure. When they went to relight the middle ring of engines, one failed to light, then several shut down as you say, before the whole lot boom. T+2:58 there is also a big venting of oxygen or methane. Stuff is very broken.

I don't think there is much fault tolerance on losing Raptors as is thought. Look at IFT2 vs IFT1 and see how much faster the 2nd launch is with a full compliment of engines running.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/11/2023 at 19:27, bimble said:

Just watching 'Capricorn One' on Legend... where elements in NASA fake a Mars landing to not lose funding

Been watching 'For All Mankind' which starts off with the moon landings in 1969 by... The Soviet Union.

It's an engaging alternative history where the space race keeps on going at full pelt.

• 4 weeks later...