The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The road to the moon and beyond to Mars.

ERIC ALLTORQUE

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

The X-37B was launched yesterday on a Falcon Heavy, this is it's 7th mission and because such a powerful booster was used the speculation is that it may be flying some distance from Earth......

I dont know if the expended the center core booster on that yesterday with it being a military launch,time will tell. At least it went well it seems.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

The X-37B was launched yesterday on a Falcon Heavy, this is it's 7th mission and because such a powerful booster was used the speculation is that it may be flying some distance from Earth......

Has that only just gone up, I'm sure Scott Manley was talking about this mission several weeks ago. I remember it due to the speculation of why they were using the FH booster.

Edit: -several weeks = almost 2 months ago!

India Flies Space Capsule, China Rolls Astronauts - Deep Space Updates November 10th 

Wind on to 15:30.

I remember seeing this wee beasty sat outside it's hanger in 2017 as our tour bus rolled past on the way to the launch complex. 7 missions doesn't sound like a lot in that time, but then it does do very long duration missions.

Edited by 57xx
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/12/2023 at 15:46, Jeff Smith said:

X-37B is an orbiter - perhaps high orbit, but I'd imagine a heavy payload.

Per Wikipedia:

OTV-7 (USSF-52)

The fourth flight of second X-37B and seventh overall X-37B mission was planned to be launched on SpaceX's Falcon Heavy on 12 December 2023. This was rescheduled for 28 December 2023 when it was successfully launched at 8:07 pm EST (01:07:00 UTC on December 29). The orbit is expected to be higher than previous missions.

• Friendly/supportive 1

It probably is essentially an orbital vehicle however previous long missions have apparently demonstrated sufficient fuel for manoeuvrability or maneuverability (it's a US vehicle).  Some speculation is that is going to a synchronous orbit - or even to the moon........

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Let's not forget the incredible frequency and success rate of Falcon 9 launches.  One on Feb 14 and two on the 15th, including the Nova-C IM Mission, First lunar lander built and launched for NASA's CLPS program. This will be the first commercial lunar landing if successful.

Feb28th, Falcon 9 Crew-8 launch, NASA/Roscosmos

Edited by Jeff Smith
Addition
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Let's not forget the incredible frequency and success rate of Falcon 9 launches.  One on Feb 14 and two on the 15th, including the Nova-C IM Mission, First lunar lander built and launched for NASA's CLPS program. This will be the first commercial lunar landing if successful.

Feb28th, Falcon 9 Crew-8 launch, NASA/Roscosmos

I believe that Spacex have just had there 300th falcon launch so its there workhorse to space launching his starlink system but its also been a good pathfinder to reliable reusable rockets until we have the Starship heavy lift.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see the Boston Dynamics AI robots taking the Mars trip. If it's humans, it won't happen. 

Our Human space flight crew, possibly about 7 in total.

1, pilot.

2, Health & safety lead assessor.

3, Navigator.

4, 2nd Health & Safety assessor.

5 , Performance & Management Directorate.

6, Trainee Health & safety assessor.

7,  Facilities Directorate. 

8, Airlock Commissioner.

9, Human Resources & Diversity Directorate.

10, Finance Directorate.

11, Quality Control Lead assessor.

12, Accounts Department.

13, Publicity Department. 

14, Post room & Switchboard.

15, Minor celebrity to announce dramatic voice-overs.

16, Doctor,

17, Nurse,

18, Manager,

19, Cost Control Directive,

20, Lead Receptionist,

21, Receptionist Assistant,

22, Relief Receptionist,

23, Interior Consultant

Posts 1 & 3 were removed as part of the  the 'streamlining' initiative, which freed up extra funds for posts 5,8 and 12. Further cost-cutting initiatives may be utilised to afford purchasing a map...

There; I think that's all.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I can see the Boston Dynamics AI robots taking the Mars trip. If it's humans, it won't happen. 

Our Human space flight crew, possibly about 7 in total.

1, pilot.

2, Health & safety lead assessor.

3, Navigator.

4, 2nd Health & Safety assessor.

5 , Performance & Management Directorate.

6, Trainee Health & safety assessor.

7,  Facilities Directorate. 

8, Airlock Commissioner.

9, Human Resources & Diversity Directorate.

10, Finance Directorate.

11, Quality Control Lead assessor.

12, Accounts Department.

13, Publicity Department. 

14, Post room & Switchboard.

15, Minor celebrity to announce dramatic voice-overs

There; I think that's all.

If the pilot and navigator are replaced by a pre-programmed machine, it would appear that the concept of a 'B Ark' becomes feasible.  😳

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, DIW said:

If the pilot and navigator are replaced by a pre-programmed machine, it would appear that the concept of a 'B Ark' becomes feasible.  😳

I was a bit 'Tongue in Cheek'. 

I  can imagine a movie plot, where the AI-robots are sent to explore Mars at the behest of the humans. The robots form an alliance to keep humans away from Mars, after witnessing the c*ck-up on Earth.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1