Protocab close

Ben Alder

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

They promised new products which they could never deliver (how do like our new controllers ? great - when can we get them ? errr soon) - only excuses. They seemed to spend a fortune on promotions eg free tickets to Scaleforum and buffet lunches. Meanwhile other companies were producing radio control products. And they didn't seem to know what their potential market should be  eg 4mm finescale or just 00 or outdoors or the larger scales.

• 4 months later...
On 10/02/2023 at 16:34, Human8984 said:

What are the alternatives now that Protocab have closed... for 4MM scale?

Tam Valley's dead rail system, DRS-1.

It’s a wireless adapter that allows a regular DCC system to be used for DCC control via wireless, to battery fitted locos.

Might be a bit tight fitting the little receiver and batteries into a loco, as well as the normal DCC decoder.

Alternatively one of the BlueTooth or WiFi based systems, e.g. BlueRail Trains/ SoundTraxx Blunami, Hornby’s new HM7000 HM-DCC or the WiFiTrax system.

On 10/02/2023 at 16:34, Human8984 said:

What are the alternatives now that Protocab have closed... for 4MM scale?

In additions to Ron's list..    If wanting just simple radio control, then look at Micron, UK source of small radio control receivers, batteries, etc..    Good for running a simple layout with a small number of active locos. 
Which in practise was what Protocab offered; they never really broke out from the "less than ten locos" model of their devices, despite having a system architecture which could do really complex and clever things. 

- Nigel

On 14/02/2023 at 16:27, 1ngram said:

I was told at the Falkirk Show MERG stand that they had members investigating/developing rechargeable battery powered DCC system WIFI controlled but a subsequent email to MERG has, as yet, produced no response

I suspect you have crossed wires.   
There are folk in MERG taking about (and its mostly talk on a chat forum, not seen any action) a handset which is wireless (no wires from handset to command station), as an alternative to the current MERG wired DCC handset.   Thereafter it is normal wires to the track.  

I doubt there are any MERG kit plans to build decoders to go inside locos, for any protocol - wired or wireless.  Because they fall outside sensible home assembly.   Such things require automated component placement machines to assemble the circuit.  

- Nigel

On 14/02/2023 at 16:27, 1ngram said:

I was told at the Falkirk Show MERG stand that they had members investigating/developing rechargeable battery powered DCC system WIFI controlled but a subsequent email to MERG has, as yet, produced no response

Did you use the MERG 'contact us' option at the bottom of our webpages? I ask because I have repied to every such message recieved. So it may have got lost somewhere, try asking again if you wish.