Tavistock Junction Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

To save the development of my next diesel project becoming lost within my Wheal Imogen topic, I think it is about time to start its own thread as it heads through the final stages of its development. 

In the same way as Wheal Imogen was designed and built in an attempt to learn the lessons of its predecessor Blackcombe Torr, this project sets out to build upon the memory of one of my earliest layouts Tavistock Junction TMD (although other than the size of the scenic area and the name the two share little in common.) 

The key requirements:

• I want a layout in which I can utilise my HST fleet, along with other elements of my passenger stock.  All of which is intended for a future large layout for which space and budget is currently lacking.
  • It still needs to have some form of through running, having learnt from operating other layouts that its really useful to be able to just shuttle a DMU back and forward when you are trying to have a conversation with viewers.
  • Ideally I still want to keep some element of China Clay / Freight 
  • Size - the initial view was for a 6ft layout with a potential 3ft extension.  In practice I think that now may revert to the simpler 8ft.  Width is limited to that which can fit under Brent's fiddleyard (which from memory is just under 2ft)
  • Track gauge - remains rather up in the air as per previous posts on Wheal Imogen.  I have come to the conclusion that after about 15 years of trying P4 is not really for me,  much as I love the look of the finer track I am less happy with the expense of rewheeling, more to the point I have never been happy with the quality/consistency of running that I have achieved.   Furthermore, there is no way I would consider building the long term project in P4, which leads the question being whether to go for EM (which I should have done in the first place I suspect), or follow Brent and stick to OO with hand built track.
  • Stock will at least initially be divided between the two projects, with a core of clay stock earmarked for Wheal Imogen intended to stay in P4 until that layouts eventual demise. 
  • Having thought long and hard about building an accurate (or semi accurate) corner of Laira, I came to the conclusion that it would be better served using a freelance design that takes inspiration from the prototype, but makes changes to better enable operational interest. 
  • Will continue to be set in 1998/1999

489B6E6F-9A7B-43C0-A2BB-9BD776AA9694.thumb.jpeg.a45714f0edc8afbb84942ec82ca8eb8a.jpeg

The simplified background for the layout is that when BR built the 1960s diesel depot it was built further out of town at Tavistock Junction rather than on the site of the existing steam depot.  Further to that I kept the Launceston branch open rather than the Callington branch seeing as this in turn will allow for running a DMU service on the branch.

Architecturally the main shed buildings will all be based upon those at Laira, The backscene will in part be formed of two sets of mk3s in the stabling sidings, there is a triangle of free space on the left hand side of the plan which could either end up as a wedge shaped baseboard or filled with houses etc.  Another iteration of the plan uses some of this space to add an additional siding for the fuel unloading point, again adding a little more operational interest.     The nearest siding would include the crane (assuming that I can get it to fit).

The intention is to model the service and maintenance building (2 or 3 roads) and the heavy maintenance shed (1 road), giving the opportunity for other locos to arrive for wheel turning, along with various powercar moves.  I like the idea of having one of the last Intercity powercars arrive and enter in Intercity then leave in GWT, likewise there is a good photo of a powercar that has blown its engine with oil all down the side which would be a good arrival.

I have added a through track at the rear which can be used for multiple purposes including movements with locos deeper into the off scene parts of the depot, TTAs arriving with fuel, or the shunting of the Plymouth portion of the sleeper. 

A final change to the prototype will involve who actually uses the depot, at Laira both Great Western Trains and Virgin Cross Country used Laira as a base for complete HST sets.  However the repairs and maintenance of Virgin's powercars was conducted elsewhere.  So other than a few very rare photos you would not see individual Virgin powercars at Laira.  Here I am more inclined to dispense with historical accuracy and go for operational interest and have Virgin also making use of the maintenance facilities. 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The current iteration of the track plan, laptop was about to die last night when I finished in templot so took a couple of quick photos rather than proper screenshots.  The red outline is the 9ft board.  At present if I was to go with plan a) and build the 6ft core section with an off scene shed  it would need some tweaking as two points would cross a baseboard joint  (however that would probably space the track a bit better shifting everything past the first point further to the right by 6 inches.  It currently shows the 3 road version of the shed, however I will now probably reshape the lower siding slightly in order to get the 4th road in the building.  I have yet to think of a suitable scenic brake for the branch line on the right hand side (naturally the shed building does the job nicely for the rest of it.)

83FBC478-C7F6-4AFB-82E1-A945626895EF.jpeg

A very crude sketch cobbled together after I finished with the main Templot file to serve as an aide memoire regarding adding the fuel tank siding.  the two carriage sidings at the rear would in this case have a more gentle curve (while the lower section below the new blue lines should be ignored).  The black line would be the new fuel siding (with fuel tanks added between it and the carriage sidings).   This could either be located as shown below, or with a double slip instead of the next point.

E3912D22-5ABE-478E-BB5D-0472A0801191.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Tavistock Junction TMD

As I read that I thought “but that’s just Laira”!

But reading on I see that you have dealt with that conundrum.

Watching in anticipation.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

image.png.57c08e528805a531dfc9033716a352ef.png
a very rough sketch as to what the main buildings will look like, the idea being to design in fusion and then draw a proper cutting plan in autocad and either cut on the shilouette  or laser cut as appropriate. 

the intention now is to draw the other three main buildings (fuel tanks,  office and a rough approximation of the ratio crane).   These will hopefully be added to an image of the track plan to get a better look as to what the layout should look like.     I am less concerned about the station as it will use a modified version of Brent’s waiting room. 

The track plan needs adjustment now to sort alignment between the tracks (the above needed adjustment to get a better look.)

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been doing a little more work in Templot finishing off the alternative version of the track plan with the extra siding for the fuel discharge point.  52349823530_f755488e7d_h.jpgv6 by The Fatadder, on Flickr

I think this feels like the most likely version to go with, I will hopefully get this printed off soon to test clearances etc with some rolling stock in place.  I am trying to work out how I would shorten it from 9ft to 8ft, there isnt much room to cut material off the left hand side (and if you do it will move a baseboard joint to interfere with pointwork.)   I think the answer is going to be using the print off and a crude mock up of the buildings to see if they can be shortened and shifted slightly to the left in order to loose a foot from that end.   Otherwise the other potential solution is to have the first foot of the fiddleyard board scenic containing the final 12 inches of the layout (and have a removeable building for the shed). 

I have just thought of another problem, I was planning to start work on modelling Pride of Laira next weekend once my HST project arrives.  Not quite sure how you get a loco named "Pride of Laira" in a world where Laira at most consists of a bunch of sidings for freight (in place of Tavistock Junction yard...) 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting on my new HST purchase, which I think will end up with 43003 with green end and the other in FGW fag packet      

I have another HST powercar from eBay (on which I have already fixed a broken body).  My plan had been to respray it along with one of my spare Virgin powercars before picking up the other set via Facebook.   With the plan being to finish off the incomplete Facebook HST at the same time.   However as it’s taking a while to arrive, I can’t wait any longer and risk running out of good painting weather so today sprayed the silver white.   While I was at it I also painted the white on a pair of mk3 sleepers and a mk1 rmb, the ews gold stripe on a 37 and 58 and the grey on a Hanson 59. 

tomorrow the green will follow,  naturally I can’t wait to do all the horrendous masking for the green tomorrow…..

6D4CD4FE-B093-41B6-B7AE-4138F744B942.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Todays painting has been a bit of a disaster, with the paint I was planning to use for the intercity coaches gone off (and the new paint not looking quite the right shade).

however 47003 is looking pretty good, only minor touch ups being needed.  Tomorrow I will spray the roof and the yellow end and it will almost be finished…

I am not a fan of the look of the hybrid green end gained in preparation of getting FGW livery.   However it makes for a bit more variation in the fleet.

DD336ABD-DD0E-4672-BEE1-F00507045705.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Very nice Rich! Now following the thread - looking forward to more

Will

Thanks, I am a lot happier with how the masking came out with this one.  Though it’s still a real pain on the masking front.  Assuming the Facebook HST pair finally arrives I think I’m now done on the HST, though I do still have a spare pair of Virgin powercars that could be painted eventually…

I’ve now worked out what happened for the grills I was planning to use on the Loadhaul 37/7, they were fitted to 37667!  Will print new ones tonight (if I have enough resin left) as I’d like to start painting that this week as well.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Obviously I’ve been following your HST progress on your other threads Rich @The Fatadder, it’s good to see it on its own thread…. Another modern image layout to follow 😎

With the layout at 8 or 9 ft long, presumably the fiddle yard is also that length, with a few feet the other side for a 158 3 carriage Turbostar? That’s going to be huge.

When is it’s exhibition debut? 

It’s going to be great to see it develop. 

• RMweb Gold

More progress this morning, masking both the yellow end and grey roof separately I was able to spray the yellow (followed by a blast with the hairdryer) before removing part of the masking to reveal the grey roof.   It should be possible to also spray the buff lower stripe later (along with doing the minor touch up fixes to the white).  The black of course will have to wait until tomorrow, along with the transfers…

52368937779_de410a0d88_k.jpgUntitled by The Fatadder, on Flickr

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Last photo for today, the black has been added to the ends and the sides before cracking on with the transfers.  Mostly from the Fox GWT HST pack (including pre made numbers) along with Rainbow Railways OHLE flashes. 
53A632C7-CA21-4501-80E6-F7166399F446.jpeg.671ad72a3932026a4b3f83b0ba074420.jpeg

the final jobs are a couple of small touch ups, (slats on the cantrail, white in the handrail recesses) and adding the cantrail stripe.  Plan on sorting the paint tonight and the transfers tomorrow as I just can’t face it right now!

the main GWT transfers aren’t great, would have been better with less carrier film and not printing the green (which is the wrong colour).  But they are the only option available…

Can’t wait to get the headlights and glazing fitted and see it along side the others.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Looks good, I love the Merlin colours.

I often find my old fox transfers have gone a bit yellow - is that a tinge slightly on yours ?

Yes sadly that is the case, these have been treated under UV light to try and improve it.  

Unfortunately I think James mentioned previously that even new stock of these transfers arrived slightly yellowed so there is not really an alternative 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Lighting for the moment is just using the standard Hornby set up, eventually I do need to find a solution for uprating the lighting as I want to be able to light all 4 headlights (and for some reason Hornby only give the option of lighting 3 of them).   

There are a couple of jobs remaining, the interior (a replacement spare part) is missing its seats so these will need 3d printing.  At the rear end I cant remember if I damaged the glazing or if it was missing, either way I have had to make a replacement part which is missing the frame.  Not the end of the world as the painted on frame Hornby used looks a bit naff anyway, so it may spur me to get on with sorting out an etched replacement part (again which will be needed on all of the fleet)  

Still no sign of the other two powercars, thankfully paid with Goods and Services on Paypal so hopefully should be able to get what I paid back, just getting tired of the excuses and non communication now.  I think I will strip down the "spare" Virgin pair and do one more in Merlin and the other in Fag Packet as intended.

7408FBF3-2C7C-417B-A831-6C5262084009.jpeg

AD558EFC-CD88-43E6-850A-540A110262F8.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I want to be able to light all 4 headlights (and for some reason Hornby only give the option of lighting 3 of them). 

Is that a cheap way to match the prototype?  Marker light on each side, but only one headlight?  Presumably you want to choose which headlight you illuminate?

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 5BarVT said:

Is that a cheap way to match the prototype?  Marker light on each side, but only one headlight?  Presumably you want to choose which headlight you illuminate?

Paul.

Photos of GWT / FGW HSTs in the late 90s always seem to have all 4 lights lit up, I assume in BR times it was only 3 hence Hornby going down that route).   

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been completing research for the (still) to be delivered HST powercars, and have determined the ideal choice for my FGW liveried example which will be 43127 which I amongst the first to be outshoped in the new livery with full green end. (Most of the June 99 repaints retained their white lower fairing from the Merlin livery).   Depending on how I find the transfers I will probably add one in this variant at a later date.

in the mean time I’ve got on with another project, converting a pair of Bachmann 150/1 bodies into departmental unit 950001.   This is making use of a pair of detailed Bratchel Models chassis from my parts box (which only needed minor modification to fit). 

The bodies took a lot of effort to get rid of the very thick Bachmann paint.  Once that was done while I wait for the etches to arrive I have carved off all the redundant window frames.DF67A737-0D61-4CB0-9B55-B7466917E387.jpeg.0d19335b15387dbb770ee9073f9c0700.jpeg

a mix of Bratchel bits, along with an ex MTK engine casting and various scratch built bits.  The new bogies have yet to be fitted, Bratchell didn’t include the right version in the kit…

E401C439-FF40-42E5-854C-B73DFEC620AF.jpeg.3c7c6a5f8c29234b26cd6516b104c505.jpeg

test fitting the body, it needs some sort of spacer to hold the chassis in place.  It is powered with a single Black Beatle (though I’m half tempted to swap over the chassis between my two units so the passenger one can have a full depth interior and the Bachmann chassis can go in the 950

where the small windows will hide it better…

• Like 5