Tavistock Junction Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

After digging out a my box of Lima PGA to sort out a couple that I was selling to Will, I figured I would crack on with the Gunnel project.

Colin Craig’s drawings on the Barrowmore website are my main source, the first four were started at Scaleforum in 2010 one of which needed a bit of rework due to warped plastic.

The next one has now had the hopper extension added (upside down at the front) while the other 3 have been shortened and a start made on the new top.  I also have a spreadsheet detailing what needs changing on each version. 

there were several different designs of Gunnel and I have modelled one of each variant (including the longer ex salt wagon).

I just need to find a suitable triangular plastic strip for the ribs now

B27F3ABC-5628-4047-BBBF-CF47572645AC.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On to the next batch this evening, I am using Lemonine to glue on the new sides so it’s taking longer to cure.  I hope this will resolve the warping issue I had with the original wagons.   Tonight two gained their new sides while a third had the sides prepared (but is currently in IPA soaking to remove the previous owners terrible ARC paint job.  
3883B254-D213-4500-9474-C11CCE59DB5D.jpeg.b344558a03ddb1b8d5e5bfcb0775a2cd.jpeg

Once all 8 have their new tops, it will be time to start modifying brake gear, buffer beams etc of which I will explain further in the morning.  Fortunately those which need air pipes / cleets removing were modified back in 2010.

the modification does make the top too wide, however my conversions are 9ft 1.5inch width vs the prototype 8ft11.  so it’s only a couple of inches out.   This looks fine on all bar the ex PG006A wagon.  These had a shorter top with the angle of the sides extending further up.

On the base model I replicated this, but it still leaves an odd looking step up from

the lower Lima side to the plasticard top.  The solution was to clad the lower half of the body in plasticard to match the top getting a nice joint between the two.97D914E7-9150-40DF-BBCC-257600FDA09F.jpeg.0745975979070c1b0f3f262a6caf3b72.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress  on the gunnels before work this morning has the extension to the cross piece fitted where the old walkways were located.  Following this I prepared the parts for the ends, which took rather a lot longer than I hoped after having to search for knife blades.   On the up side while looking I found another untouched Lima PGA which has now joined the queue for conversion bringing the rake up to 9 wagons, to be honest this is probably more than I will ever actually need seeing as the prototype either seemed to be used in long rakes (eg on the ballast flows out of Tytherington with 20 something wagons) or with 4 or 5 in a formation with other wagons.    One interesting working had 2 Gunnel, 2 Seacow and 2 ballast boxes for example.

Speaking of the Gunnels once the basic conversion is complete this is what remains to be done:

> Brake pipes were missing from the both sides so need adding back, the end supports need changing to an I beam, needs new horizontal cleats adding, brakes parts above the chassis (will have to build the brake cover)

> Add ribs to body, brake parts under chassis, add new brake pipe to one side, 

>Brakes above, fix owner boards, add brake pipe both sides, deep bufferbeam with recessed filet, check for covers over end

>add ribs, add square plates to sides, brakes above (check for cover)

> brakes above (check for cover), deep buffer beam with recessed filet, add air pipe both side. correct owner boards

390645/39066/390646 

>covers 3 batches that were very similar, 666 needs ribs, all 3 need brakes below chassis

One more tbc, statistically it should be an ex PG006c but these involve the most work...  More likely I will go for another ex PG006e adding another ribbed wagon 

Ive probably missed off some other small details in this list which will be sorted as i get to it.  Still need to find a source for the triangular ribs  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress before work this morning, with the final two wagons fitted with the basic structure and fitted to their chassis after removing the owners board.

I have also decided on the final wagons identity which will be an ex PG006C as 390567 this will need ribs adding, brakes added below the chassis and has had the body modified to remove the brake pipe from one side.   The lima plastic is incredibly brittle making the removal of the brake pipe a lot more difficult than I expected.   

As it comes the Lima model has features from multiple batches of PGA, including owners boards on both ends, 2 pipes on one side and one on the other. it should either have two pipes on one side none on the other, a single pipe on each side or no pipe.  I am still in two minds as to whether I will fix this on those wagons which have a pipe on both sides.  At the moment I am erring toward leaving it (and just running with the accurate side facing forward).

I have ordered a suitable section triangular strip from the Plastruct range, in the mean time the next jobs will be:

>add the plate across the top of the ends

>there is a plate along the top edge of the side to add from 10thou 

>repairs to the end supports (and the replacement with I beam on one wagon) 

Before getting on with the wagon specific details for end ribs, brakes, bufferbeams etc, I will also need to draw up and print some replacement buffers. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First wagon is nearly finished, I need to clean up a set of printed buffers and add the horizontal rib to the angled part of the end once the triangular section arrives later in the week.  (Hopefully I’ve ordered enough of this!)

this one has the brakes moved under the chassis, two replacement uprights otherwise is fairly standard.

61402DD2-ED89-4A3E-BE08-A3A48F0DDB87.jpeg.b5251988c5f434a521f955b3cce327d2.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Repairs to the end supports are now complete for all wagons with the exception of 553 which is awaiting delivery of I section strip.   

All of the wagons which need the brakes fitting below the chassis have been fitted, along with finishing most of the filler application to the holes left from the old Lima parts.

390591 was the next up for more work, fitting the brakes (above solebar) adding brackets to the non brake end and a cover over the brake equipment end.  
owners boards can’t be added until I add the brake pipes (awaiting a Wizard delivery), so tomorrow I will finish what can be done fitting the hopper top

/ end plates.  Hopefully the triangular section will arrive tomorrow…..

I think I am going to try drawing up a print for the cleats…

7C96D49C-E8BA-426D-886D-4494D8668036.jpeg

583F76A7-1DE0-4327-B984-B3C47F449B47.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another late lunch has seen good progress finishing off most of the remaining work on 591, which now has the buffer beam extensions, strip along the top edge, spill plates on the ends, and after a delivery just before lunch the triangular section across the end.  All that remains now is to fit the brake pipes (once my Wizard order arrives later in the week).  Once thats fitted I can finish it off with the owners boards on the sides.  Buffers will wait until they are all built, while some thought will need to be given to the rewheeling.  A couple of wagons have had the protrusions the Lima wheels fit into  removed, these will need retrofitting with some form of etched springing unit.  Others which still have Lima wheels will need drilling out to take a 26mm axle and modern wheels to replace the Lima pizza cutters.   All of this can wait until some point in the future when they are needed for service 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Final one for today, this time 390559 ex pg006c with ribs added to the sides / ends, brake bits relocated under the chassis and the other usual bits.  Like the last one it still needs buffers, wheels and the air pipes along the side of the hopper adding.   I have a feeling I haven’t ordered anywhere need enough NS wire (as I completely forgot about this project when ordering…)

DB83FD87-5FE5-44E6-8F78-96B9DFA64ABD.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Multiple deliveries this morning mean I now have all of the bits to add the air pipes and the I section end supports for the remaining wagons.  Though I have unfortunately run out of the 40thou by 10thou strip I am using for the top edge, I think I might be able to get away with cutting this from 10thou sheet rather than ordering another pack of Evergreen and being delayed for several more days.

The order also had the ladders for the clay TTA, rivet strip for the roof tanks on 950001 and handrails for the loadhaul 37 so there is plenty to be getting on with this weekend...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Next to be completed is 390553, probably the second most involved conversion after the ex PG007B salt hoppers.  In addition to the work previously described it has had new end supports (I section, mounted vertically further inboard than the others). New air pipes, covers to the air brake gear at both ends (to different designs) and owners boards, along with the usual details to the top of the hopper.   

it still needs cleets and buffers.

72BE07F0-F231-4E39-9E66-A7C71D750D37.jpeg

6BC92934-3571-4FCE-91E4-72E6CBF394F5.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Next up is my favourite, 390576 (although the number may change on this to  579

as I am pretty certain it should still be in Dutch rather than ews as planned for 1999).

two Lima models combined to get the longer length, ribs (including on the top extension), top plate is at 90

degrees to the side, new air pipes plus a few other small details added. 
294BE3C1-C578-43E9-ACBD-D2632B296714.jpeg.195caf4b938fb59f41f5aa45d07a7493.jpeg

4 more to go…

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Two more Gunnel finished over lunch, both of the ribbed variety 390666 and 390567 (HG006A and HG006B respectively), I had planned to only remove the brake pipes from one side (of one) but in practice the airpipes had to be removed from both wagons in order to allow for the fitting of the ribs.  It also required the cleets removing as they are all in slightly different positions.

It was fitted with ribs from plastruct section, the usual top details and air tank parts under the chassis.  

45F096C5-757E-43C1-B9BF-AE4BF434AA7E.jpeg.564128cafd67f39a776f140584702717.jpeg

I also managed to get most of the detail added to the final two wagons (both of which have most of the details as per the model), these just need the spill plates adding to the ends along with the horizontal rib adding which will be sorted this evening.  One of these will need the headstock extension adding as well.

Once thats done, there are 3 remaining jobs (impacting most of the wagons), add buffers (which need printing), new cleats to the side along with adding new steps.  The later I have a plan for using the stock of spare end walkway etches

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I finally have in and bought an EFE sea urchin, which will mean I have one of each major variant in the fleet.

I was aware of the chassis issues, but the body looked a bit wide as well.   Checking against a drawing it looks like the model is 2mm too wide.  The solution was to cut off both sides, thin down the centre, narrow the chassis and then glue back together.

It will get new brake gear, springs and Bill Bedford suspension.   The aim is to keep

the sides untouched and fix the paint on the cut areas.  

36234DFF-A47D-4C18-99D8-77A865A3BAB2.jpeg

A0B5D51C-11B6-4801-86AC-6CA5EA108FF5.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A little more this evening, the sides are now in place along with the wirons, I’ve also done the first fill on the cut lines.63E92CBA-67BC-4331-AECA-750572672245.jpeg.b571f9730515e3e5b4a67b27efd6e0b5.jpeg63E92CBA-67BC-4331-AECA-750572672245.jpeg.b571f9730515e3e5b4a67b27efd6e0b5.jpeg

tomorrow it will get another coat of filler, along with couplings and underframe detail.   For now it will be fitted with a pair of Cambrian brake leavers, though it will eventually get an upgrade to the Stenson etches.

I think the top is a bit too lemony in colour so this will all get repainted in a more accurate shade of ews gold.

80203740-0925-457C-BA50-B63812D2786D.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned earlier the top

of the efe model is closer to Freightliner lemon than EWS gold, so it’s been repainted with Rainbow Railways enamel. D5A30AFC-C3A3-4188-89F6-EB9E7053814D.jpeg.b8042a6d0b6e8b9eee57f35efa977357.jpeg

Unfortunately this rather shows up the logos / lettering which is also too yellow and I think will all need replacing.  From memory these were converted in 1998 so are pretty much brand new in my period, so no chance to hide with weathering.  The ends were touched in with the Vallejo red I use for my GWR window frames, which when wet looks very much like a true EWS red but when dry is pretty close to the darker Bachmann /EFE shade.  Given there is only a tiny amount of paint needed in the corners it was easy to hide.

Onto the underframe next, brake leavers, springs and axle boxes left to add.  I think I have some Cambrian parts left rather than needing to order some new ones from Will.  It will get Cambrian leavers for now until I eventually upgrade the whole rake with Stenson etches0F00E89A-F500-4516-A7A4-87734D701EEE.jpeg.8767dd7e6a7dc338120d475b9c85ba92.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that I spotted another livery error on this wagon, the lower 2mm of the side (plus the ribs down to the solebar) should be black on some of this batch (including the wagon EFE modelled). Again really poor attention to detail on the part of the manufacturer.   

I could have just changed the number (as mentioned previously it’s likely to need it anyway) but I figured I’ve been correcting EFE’s mistakes, may as well fix this one as well.  While the paint was out I added a first coat of rust  to the interior and painted the handrails white.  It needs retrofitting with pre 98 OHLE flashes as well.E546D0BC-7707-402A-93BE-E5A2709A23EF.jpeg.4e0de896c2f20d84534c09ee79c0d60b.jpeg

I have a set of Cambrian springs / axle boxes ready to go, so they will be fitted tomorrow, which just leaves the brake leaver.

the Cambrian one is too shallow on the left hand part (which oddly EFE didn’t do too badly) but the rest isn’t too bad.  The EFE part looks like someone had a photo of one with the brake on, and one with it off and somehow combined the two!   I will stick with my original plan and fit Cambrian parts in line with the rest of the rake.  Though eventually they will all need fixing with the Stenson parts!

While I was very disappointed with the model yesterday after realising the extent of the errors.  It’s actually given me a lot more enjoyment fixing it than I’d have got simply opening the box and rewheeling.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Southwich said:

Excellent work Rich - saying in P4 then given the model is sprung? 😉

Kind regards,

Will

This one will be for now at least, assuming I can get the transfers sorted in time the intention is that for Wheal Imogen's visit to Calne I will have a short engineering set with 4 or 5 different urchins and a 37/0.  The urchin are all built but need tops panels / lettering still.  

Didnt really look at the last photo before posting it, cant really see the work painting the lower section black!    Should at least have the wagon finished (bar couplings) this evening though...  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The EFE Sea Urchin rebuild is now pretty much finished, just needing couplings and brake disks before being ready for service.  Its currently fitted with Cambrain brake parts (though as mentioned previously will eventually get an upgrade).   Really pleased with how this has come out, just need to finish the rest of the rake now...

6EB77512-3562-4947-A222-03A021B4020E.jpeg

7637E7FF-6589-4CB9-A441-1EBE754250A2.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7

Hi Rich -

God spot with regards to the dimensions, the more I looked at it the more it didnt look right! Theyve certainly hashed up the livery which isnt a shame, seeing as this model new is £30+. Ive ordered a Kernow one also, so im guessing itll have the same issues? so probably tackle both at the same time to sort out the hash job.

NL

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

Hi Rich -

God spot with regards to the dimensions, the more I looked at it the more it didnt look right! Theyve certainly hashed up the livery which isnt a shame, seeing as this model new is £30+. Ive ordered a Kernow one also, so im guessing itll have the same issues? so probably tackle both at the same time to sort out the hash job.

NL

The Kernow SPA?  I’d say it must be just as fat given the ends should be identical.  Such a shame as the basic tooling for the urchin was pretty well done without the battleship sides of the Bachmann OCA

speaking of which, inspired by @James Makin‘s latest work, I think my OCA will be next on the bench.  Either that or a box of limpets (and POA that are about to become limpets)

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

The Kernow SPA?  I’d say it must be just as fat given the ends should be identical.  Such a shame as the basic tooling for the urchin was pretty well done without the battleship sides of the Bachmann OCA

speaking of which, inspired by @James Makin‘s latest work, I think my OCA will be next on the bench.  Either that or a box of limpets (and POA that are about to become limpets)

Thanks Rich, will be great to see your OCA coming together! Limpets would be equally good, they were just disgusting and ideal for a modelling project...I've got dozens more to work on myself but they are one of the more time-consuming wagon projects with all the extra chassis detail that needs adding too. It'll be interesting to see whether Hornby venture out in this area once they've mastered the new TTA!

Cheers

James

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Thanks Rich, will be great to see your OCA coming together! Limpets would be equally good, they were just disgusting and ideal for a modelling project...I've got dozens more to work on myself but they are one of the more time-consuming wagon projects with all the extra chassis detail that needs adding too. It'll be interesting to see whether Hornby venture out in this area once they've mastered the new TTA!

Cheers

James

I know what you mean, I need to draw up a 3d print for the new springs as I have now ran out of Cambrain / S kits parts and have at last count:

3 more TTA needing detailing for slurry tanks

6 TTA for bitumen  tanks

9 Railtrack PNA

2 Doorand 

14 Limpet 

Its certainly one of those jobs that I keep putting off given its such a paint, I do wonder if some sort of jig to hold the wagon in place and then using the dremmel in its pillar attachment might be the way to go.

• Like 1