Tavistock Junction Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, WCML100 said:

some interesting projects mate, look forward to the updates to follow.

regarding the hattons 66, it you can get yourself the 66005 release, it does not have the wing mirrors! 

I think I am right in saying that Hattons only did one or two of their EWS 66 releases without the wing mirrors, making them a lot harder to come by.  Alas the only one without mirrors in Hattons seconds sale was a complete basket case with most of its grills missing (at far too high a price for its condition).

In the end I went for one of the ex sound locos, a non runner (but with an intact body) along with a number that is suitable for the layout out of the box.    As it stands the work looks to be: get it running, this could be a motor replacement, it could be something simpler.  There are glue marks on the roof that need cleaning up (klear / ultra fine wet & dry will do the job).  Missing axle boxes, simple fix with a 3d print for which the CAD was shared on the Hattons 66 thread, and finally changes to the bufferbeam / fairing (its missing two lifting eyes and one end has the massive hole for the tension lock.  I am hoping I can find someone who is using tension locks who will sell me the spare fairing (ideally from 66005)... 

£120 was more than I'd have liked to pay, but I have lots of spare motors already so it should be a case my only additional outlay is the cost of a new fairing (and I can always scratch build a replacement if I cant source one.)

As for the SSA, its now ready for printing.  But the revised version of the breakdown crane coaches is ahead of it in the queue...

It does however now have all of its supports in place and is ready to print later in the week.

image.png.b8d671bf7874d4fe34f66d6755dbd786.png

Sadly once again the constraints of the printer size mean I can only print them one at a time (and as its an overnight print that means I will not be making extras of these) however I am looking into the possibility of production via shapeways.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I think I am right in saying that Hattons only did one or two of their EWS 66 releases without the wing mirrors, making them a lot harder to come by.  Alas the only one without mirrors in Hattons seconds sale was a complete basket case with most of its grills missing (at far too high a price for its condition).

In the end I went for one of the ex sound locos, a non runner (but with an intact body) along with a number that is suitable for the layout out of the box.    As it stands the work looks to be: get it running, this could be a motor replacement, it could be something simpler.  There are glue marks on the roof that need cleaning up (klear / ultra fine wet & dry will do the job).  Missing axle boxes, simple fix with a 3d print for which the CAD was shared on the Hattons 66 thread, and finally changes to the bufferbeam / fairing (its missing two lifting eyes and one end has the massive hole for the tension lock.  I am hoping I can find someone who is using tension locks who will sell me the spare fairing (ideally from 66005)... 

£120 was more than I'd have liked to pay, but I have lots of spare motors already so it should be a case my only additional outlay is the cost of a new fairing (and I can always scratch build a replacement if I cant source one.)

As for the SSA, its now ready for printing.  But the revised version of the breakdown crane coaches is ahead of it in the queue...

It does however now have all of its supports in place and is ready to print later in the week.

image.png.b8d671bf7874d4fe34f66d6755dbd786.png

Sadly once again the constraints of the printer size mean I can only print them one at a time (and as its an overnight print that means I will not be making extras of these) however I am looking into the possibility of production via shapeways.  

Yes the hattons mass sale of 66's seemed to be expensive. I am after several hattons 66's some EWS and only one release 005, was without mirrors. Hopefully I will find some soon as its the bread and butter freight loco in the Greenford Region!

Also great progress with the SSA wagon, I hope you are successful with shapeways.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Spotted a few minor errors to fix, and now the SSA is definitely ready for printing.   I had a play with the ladder (as a seperate part) but I think it’s far too crude.  It’s left on the drawing as an aide mémoire, will

have a look and see what there is that’s suitable in the Stenson range…. Happy to have got all the design work finished before the 66 (hopefully) arrives tomorrow.
5E1E376F-EFE8-4265-8B5C-0EF8A2EF679D.png.748c3dbbe5d88cfcd07bdb0557f77e38.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this will stay in OO for this layout or get a P4 conversion for Wheal Imogen, so it will stay OO for now.   Todays arrival is Hattons Class 66 in EWS from Hattons sale of basket case clearance.  It was sold as a non runner, sound removed, loose handrail, glue marks on roof, missing axle boxes (and a very good box). 

On arrival it was missing 2 axle boxes and all 4 solebar cab steps. (The latter was not mentioned in Hattons description).  The glue marks to the roof were really easy to remove with the top of a scalpel.  

it was given a quick test which gave a sound like the motor wanted to work, so the model was stripped down to remove bogies and motor.  After testing the motor

with a battery and finding it worked, I removed the axle boxes and modified the bogie inner to fix the mould error.  Each bogie was then reassembled (including axle boxes and tested one at a time with the motor.  Proving that all was working, before reassembling.

I was very pleased to see the model included an unopened detail pack, this contained the full depth air dam for the other end.  Both were removed from the model, the spare tension lock part was stripped for steps (to replace missing ones on the good ends) and lashing eyes (to back date the good parts). For this I removed the buckeye details and drilled two 0.5mm holes then filed back the tabs on the spare lashing eyes to get them to fit before gluing in position. A screw coupling was added to one end and a Dingham to the other before screwing back onto the chassis block.

Body wise I haven’t managed much so far, removing the wing mirrors and filling the holes (using the location lugs from the mirrors).

Still to do:

Print two replacement axle boxes 

Make replacement cab steps

touch up paint (where the mirrors were removed and a dot of yellow on the ends where the buckeye mechanism was removed)

I am torn on the identity between keeping as 125 (it visited Bodmin with a HEA and CDA for a diesel gala in 1999 as well as working clay trains.  The down side is that it was pretty much ex works.

The alternative is to renumber to 66027 which was the first class 66 to work in Cornwall and was a lot dirtier.  This would help blend in the different colour of the paint touch ups.

Speaking of paint, Hattons shade of EWS red doesn’t look quite right to me.  I can’t decide if I can live with it or not.  It could be the very mat finish, and that much like Hornby’s GWR green a coat of satin varnish will sort it out (a good first option). Alternatively it might be a case of needing to respray the red…

77588B1A-C7BF-410B-93FA-8E56577C8131.jpeg

15D084DA-93C7-4A8D-9143-4219DAC1E543.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Paint matching to Hattons EWS red is unsurprisingly proving to be very difficult 

I think it needs a mix of Phoenix EWS red and red oxide to lighten / get the more orange tone of the model.  Fortunately I have the wing mirrors to use as a test piece.  
for now it has 4 white dots on each side while I fill the holes from the wing mirrors. (If only they had just glued them onto the basic shell rather than tooling up location holes!)

F52A5132-6556-4343-9C54-1AF56D09FE87.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Think I prefer that red to bachmanns “ dried blood stain “, it looks more vibrant and suitable for the 66 in its first years 

I think that’s the problem with EWS, there is so much variation in colour (particularly depending on light and dirt levels).  My preference the Phoenix’s shade, if I can get close enough to Hattons colour I will stick with it particularly as i think a coat of varnish will bring it to life.  Though I’m really struggling to get close enough at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Someone asked elsewhere about the glue on the roof, this was how the model came (at both ends) 56BB3318-62AD-443A-86F0-67B0403C1870.jpeg.9f9bffe6e0dda4d0d5dbf3a230857a76.jpeg

I assume it was caused when gluing the horn grill on (probably one of my favourite bits of the model).  As mentioned before the glue had not properly bonded to the roof paint and could be cracked off with a scalpel.  Looks like I missed a small spot that the camera picked up but the eye didn’t.

2942A69B-75A1-48CB-9ABE-C597271CD05C.jpeg.3068bd79ad1806b43d50f8c4c8bd7801.jpeg
also shows up the window frame rubber needs touching up after painting the holes from the wing mirrors.  I eventually

managed to find a paint match using a mix of Phoenix EWS red, LNER wagon oxide and Virgin Trains red (mixed by eye). It’s still a tad dark but close enough once the loco gets a coat of satin varnish (hopefully it stops raining so I can spray it at lunch assuming I don’t change the number).

on that point I still can’t decide, if it will stay as 125 or switch to 027 (but had better decide before getting the varnish out!

The other remaining jobs are to make the new steps and print the 2 replacement axle boxes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Final post on the 66 for the moment, Ive made the decision that I 66125 is just too new for my layout.  I am trying to keep June / July 99 as the end of my operating period.  There are a couple of exceptions to this (9016 i dont think was outshoped until September 99, 47817 was not named until later in the year, 57601 may get converted a couple of years earlier in this world).  However for something bog standard I'd rather have something useful, than something that is limited in period.   

So it will be 66027 made all the more special for being the first 66027 being the first Class 66 to work in Cornwall.  This will need some roof dirt, a dirty solbar, the signature dirt streaks up to the cab windows, a rusty silencer and a build up of dirt on the air dam.  In other words plenty of weathering to get on with once the body / chassis is finished.    

Next update will either be once I have sourced the new numbers from Railtec or printed the missing underframe parts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The renumbering approach used:

cover numbers / lettering to be removed with microsol and leave for a few minutes to soften.

44BAAAF6-8DCF-49BF-9655-D2A39512DDF4.jpeg.e5c2726df818c511eadb9aeffc1f6781.jpeg

with a new cocktail stick, slowly scrape off the printed number (or in this case letters) masking tape can be used to reduce the spread of mess that will need to be cleaned up.  Every so often I rub with a cotton bud and then re wet.  I also periodically recut the top of the cocktail stick to remove the dirty end.384CCC41-7838-4395-83DF-7AF9307468E2.jpeg.3f4185c339efb87e8ad5a62e3a1ca91d.jpeg

With the 66 I found it helped to turn through 180 degrees half way through to get better access to the other side of the ribs.   Once the main printing was gone a new cocktail stick was used to run down the channels cleaning up any paint residue and getting back to a clean finish 

it’s now ready for a set of Railtec’s transfers (when I get round to ordering it!)

I took off the EWS logo as well as the number, something was bothering me about it when ever I looked at the loco (until Will pointed out that the Ews lettering is not in bold as per the prototype).   Hopefully I will have finished the remaining tasks on the chassis before the transfers arrive…0AE38FE4-0804-40D0-857E-F55356647055.jpeg.17ae014e2e9f109818306ae925b7153c.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

first print of the SSA

As mentioned elsewhere im having issues with the printer and need to change the FEP before I try again.  So as a result I’m not too worried about the massive failure in the centre of the wagon where no supports have printed and the underframe is badly distorted.   

there is an angled strip along the top of the solebar channel which I thought would be self supporting.  Part of this has failed to print properly, I’m unclear as to whether this is down to the aforementioned FEP issues or if it just needs more supports.  I will probably add the latter and be done with it.

other notable points, the shape looks good and the handrails (both side and end) printed well.  Just need to resolve the issues with the printer so I can start printing again.  Then print 8 of them….. 

2180D996-0DCA-44DE-A1BE-45C3C445DF05.jpeg.2c0b237ed781d8c62f41a003a00b7493.jpeg4595B910-F1ED-4C29-831B-74A954E74312.jpeg.7d90d48b3ceb32d8997b4be61c2bb156.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Some finishing work on the Hattons class 66, adding my 3d printed steps, new handrails and the replacement axle boxes (using the cad from the Hattons 66 thread).

B1D0BBF7-367C-4F79-8CF7-B7EE815DD97F.jpeg.2542867cf7996303284b06b2fa9900d7.jpeg

pleased with the end result, other than the lack of EWS logos / numbers which I’ve still yet to order.   Given the condition at purchase, I am pretty pleased that I have now got to a point where (hopefully) you can’t tell the difference between this as a reject / returned example vs a good example 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More messing around with Sea Urchins last night, first up finishing off 3 more wagons.  Most of which was spent adding the etched w irons along with the brake gear.

582DD589-4B9B-4760-9EA2-F6A73E199E8F.jpeg.769618173f90fc4c919341ed6c5f1688.jpeg

Sea Hare

E44D5573-1E37-48AE-9825-633D67835148.jpeg.d4abd4b8d653628a42dc038aa3b87a00.jpeg

Cambrian kit modified to square off the top rib.

D872BD5E-1E08-46E8-8264-700513C4A424.jpeg.c4842370bf688f23fe0d0ce7f52276de.jpeg

scratch build, brake gear is added from a Bachmann VBA left over after making my optical car.   I have two more of these which need an OAA and VCA brake leaver respectively.

For the moment two of these have the Cambrian brake leavers, eventually I do plan on replacing these with etched parts but right now the budget is needed elsewhere (seeing as there are quite a few wagons involved.)

The next 3 don’t have the Bill Bedford units that are fitted to the first 3 wagons which are initially intended for Wheal Imogen. The rest are planned for Tavistock Junction or for future projects and can be built in OO.  To this end they are currently fitted with the Cambrian suspension units (all be it not glued in place on two of them).  I want to test and see if this is a viable route to save a bit on the costs.

524103D2-2E79-4B49-81D2-02E7A504BFA4.jpeg.e24cd5ef8110fbc03219a79cf918f740.jpeg

939B4E0A-B255-4168-8C32-5BA5760D20A6.jpeg.c2a0e1ee71ead32650eb7e54f945b082.jpeg

853030AD-2587-4D3B-BCEF-C66C059E9279.jpeg.2e75110c5e7d5176cb979830c273c3cc.jpeg

3 builds using the Cambrian kit as a basis.  The transrail and Ews/mainline hybrids are straight builds of the kit.  The middle wagon has a rebuilt end.

05B6614D-7496-4E41-8D3F-59BA6CE07E60.jpeg.5b85c7867e24dd58f62fa46154875d01.jpeg

The next two, first an ex Sea Horse that I’m in the process of fitting with spill plates, using scrap brass strip.

the other is currently a squared off Cambrian build, I have two candidates for this either modifying to get a 6 rib version or adding spill plates.

not shown are two more scratch builds of the final design (as mentioned previously both need brake gear sourcing) and an ex VDA built front the S kits kit.

I will be adding one of the EFE model eventually as well seeing as it doesn’t duplicate any of the rest.  Though I will probably hold fire and hole some end in the clearance sales…

there’s still some work needed on all of them as they are lacking in transfers and couplings.  But it’s a project that I tend to do a little work on every so often then put away and forget about for a while…

I have another ViTrains 47 project due to arrive this week (£40 from Rails thanks to the eBay code).  It’s a non runner with bogie damage, and broken buffer beam detail so hopefully will be as quick to fix as the last one.  This will be getting a repaint as 47864 Thor in GWT livery.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The prototype sea urchin is now in the paint shop, the spill plates were added from scrap fret from a Comet kit chopped to length (the plate over the brake lever was a little tricky).

it was originally modelled as the other prototype urchin and had already been sprayed yellow.  It was possible to keep this so the rest was painted light grey (a random mix).  The masking isn’t the best, however by the time the weathering is finished rust will obscure a lot of it.

really need a whole lot of Sea Urchin transfers now.  Though they are all different so I guess designing my own will be the only option 

10C26608-AFF7-438B-88F8-74761B05E338.jpeg

3A4487C6-462A-49E1-9D9E-DCAF7B74528B.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A little project from last night, 

While It doesn’t quite fit in my 1998/99 time frame, I’ve always liked my Bachmann 57601 and want to at least have the option of using it for a few photos on shed.

For some reason Bachmann used a Class 57 chassis (including sandboxes) rather than a 47 chassis (which would have been less wrong).  Further to this when I changed the body on what was 57301 to an RFD 47 it ended up pinching  57601’s underframe tanks.  

my last Bachmann spares order included new fuel tanks so this could be refitted.  The sandboxes were removed and the missing pipes added from brass wire.  (I need to do the same modification on the two 47s which will be on the bench next). 
the intention is to have the loco ex works, so I’ve picked out the pipes in appropriate colours.  I’ve also carved off the redundant pipes on the second bogie (adding the orange ones that were on 601)

I need to find a matching purple paint to do a couple of repairs to the other side…

163BA274-2503-46A2-8E5D-2BE42CD20144.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A little more work on the 47s, modifying the ex Class 57 bogies from the original chassis by removing the redundant pipework from the right hand side of the bogie and adding the missing lengths to the left hand bogie.  I have also finished off the weathering and removed the depot plaques.  The latter came off really easily with a screwdriver.  At the moment 47338 is in P4 for Wheal Imogen while 47051 is still in OO, the latter has replacement fuel tanks attached with double sided tape (which I now see has failed at one side  and needs fixing).   

D52F22F1-B70E-40B9-8004-B1121137C918.jpeg

19572862-4548-4862-9DBE-101AADD06C60.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 17/11/2022 at 14:44, The Fatadder said:

A little project from last night, 

While It doesn’t quite fit in my 1998/99 time frame, I’ve always liked my Bachmann 57601 and want to at least have the option of using it for a few photos on shed.

For some reason Bachmann used a Class 57 chassis (including sandboxes) rather than a 47 chassis (which would have been less wrong).  Further to this when I changed the body on what was 57301 to an RFD 47 it ended up pinching  57601’s underframe tanks.  

my last Bachmann spares order included new fuel tanks so this could be refitted.  The sandboxes were removed and the missing pipes added from brass wire.  (I need to do the same modification on the two 47s which will be on the bench next). 
the intention is to have the loco ex works, so I’ve picked out the pipes in appropriate colours.  I’ve also carved off the redundant pipes on the second bogie (adding the orange ones that were on 601)

I need to find a matching purple paint to do a couple of repairs to the other side…

163BA274-2503-46A2-8E5D-2BE42CD20144.jpeg

Goodness me, a warning that was going to be on this thread for us older more sensitive types. Purple should only be seen on kitchen walls in 1970's houses.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I did think about doing one of the Porterbrook 47s to go with it, but 47817 was repainting into Virgin just a little too early for me.  I think a pair of their mk1 barrier coaches will be on the to do list eventually...

Back to modelling now and it looks like I have sorted some transfers for my Structure Gauging Train.  I dont think I will have them in time for Warley unfortunately (which is a shame as I would have liked to get a photo of it running round Deadman's Lane), but will be good to finally get the Optical Car and its  partner mk1s finished finally.   Then I need to crack on with doing some mk2s to run with it...  

I am planning for two eventual Serco sets, the Structure Gauging Train and the High Speed Track Recording train.  Both consist of two bespoke coaches and two mk2 brake force runners, as far as I can make out those for the STG seem to have changed frequently whereas the HSTR seemed more consistent.    DB977338 being a Mk2z BSO with some painted over windows, while  DB977337 was also a Mk2z BSO however had greater modification with additional grills added along one side.  I have a scrap Bachmann mk2z in NSE which will be resprayed but will need to source a second.

The best record I have for the STG includes mk2s DB977802 a Mk2z TSO with fully plated over windows and DB977468 ex mk2z TSO with fully painted over windows.  (I think 977470 another brake force runner is also suitable, another mk2z TSO with painted windows).   These will get done eventually (though the exact timing depends on finding cheap Bachmann mk2z). 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A bit more class 47 work, having sorted out the long term issue of the incorrect bogie detail on the RFD 47s next up are the roofs.  As part of the preparation of converting 47370 into 47846 I wanted to check which boiler detail it should have.  While I was at it I went over the rest of the fleet to verify.

some I knew had already been corrected (47709 and 47817), but I couldn’t remember if I had checked the rest.   Out of the fleet 4 locos had incorrect roof detail (47798, 370, 830 and 853).   The latter will stay wrong for now as it’s not really needed for the layout being a 2002 repaint.  430 and 830 both only needed the small secondary panel removing.  While 798 required a complete rebuild.  Fortunately I had enough parts left over from the Extreme Etchings etch that was used to fix 709/817 years ago.

the aim is to patch paint the roof to be close enough that weathering will obscure any slight variation in colour.0B5D754C-C16A-41B8-862F-5D989A0AC31D.jpeg.ca4cc371bf0d0cb203463b012c8fa06a.jpeg

here is the current state of play.   I am hopeful that as with previous attempts I can keep the yellow ends/ roof and just respray try side once the existing printing has been removed.   
Both of these locos are still awaiting Extreme Etchings roof grills (while 709

needs replacement grills). These are so fragile I won’t do the work until everything else is complete bar the roof weathering

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some more class 47 work this evening, the new arrival has lost its freightliner livery and now has the sides resprayed in white primer.  There were a couple of areas which needed touching up, alas the can of white primer ran out while trying to add a second coat.   It will need re masking and another coat of primer once I get some more.   As it stands this is an accurate livery for 47846 (bar the missing numbers) as it ran in this state for a while half way through its repaint into GWT green.  
EA15B317-7F75-430B-BB5D-4D156AB80912.jpeg.dfef70a8ca09c0abe824f0b60e1b6060.jpeg

on the subject of GWT 47s another slightly more tubby model.  This is my first ever full airburush respray and has been kept out of sentimental value.  I want to finally get it finished off.  So this evening I fitted a set of Vitrains underframe tanks (ex 47016 chassis), sorted out the reason the body wouldn’t fit (wires getting in the way) and started on the handrails

It still needs front handrails, headlight lenses (god knows what’s happened to them), an orange cantrail stripe and new roof grills.   I’m not sure I will go for the Extreme Etchings version for this one, I’ve found an old Shawplan etch which is more period correct for the model.  If I can find the other (or a friend has one kicking around in a scrap box they don’t need) I will fit that.  If not and I have to buy a new etch I guess it will be a case of seeing how much work is needed it fit the good etch…  somewhere I have a buffer beam detailing etch for it as well which I appear to have misplaced…CACA6EB2-C056-4C0C-BAF1-8AB2E253A138.jpeg.e64011f097a630d4baf47d2a70f09a81.jpeg

Finally for completeness is 47813, to which not a it is needed other than eventually working on the bogies…

19FE3AC9-46FC-4AF8-87FC-4D698C19E763.jpeg.feba8e19ecd7d9544de63fff990239ed.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I found the buffer beam detailing etch which has now been fitted.   The loco has also gained the main length of OHLE stripe.   The rest of the orange needs adding with paint as I’m never happy with transfers applied to the rain strip.

still need to sort roof grills and ohle flashes, along with the headlight lenses which may be completely lost.  I will eventually look into replacement lighting for it anyway so it’s no real loss 

18637402-1B6F-4B2E-BF27-C833A0394F0C.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I will be demoing on the DEMU stand (E17) at Warley on Saturday, and will have a handful of recent projects with me.  Probably one of the HSTs, depending on the arrival of transfers the structure gauging train, and a few other bits.  I will also have the failed 3d print for the SSA and one of my printed TTAs with me.  Any other requests let me know.  

The intention depending on the arrival of transfers will be applying transfers to 66027, the HST barrier coaches / HSTs (and probably some mk2s).  And cracking on with converting a 150 to 950001.    

Unlike last the last Warley in 2019 I am ensuring that I am turning up with everything I need (bar some bits from Will's Workbench that I will be picking up at the show.)   These days the specialist trade at Warley is pretty average.    Hopefully will at least manage to get some handrail wire having used the last of it up on 47830 and still have two more 47s in need of handrails!  Along with some Phoenix Intercity buff to finish off my mk3 sleepers.  

• Like 2