Rebuild of a Springside 7mm scale GWR 14xx whitemetal kit

hayfield

4 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

In my limited experience, the body castings for Springside are extremely good, but the chassis isn't really up to the same standard (nothing wrong just very basic). I don't know if Slaters still do it but they produced a very good etched kit for the chassis, fully sprung if desired.

Thank for the suggestion, I do actually have a Slaters version which I got out a bit earlier. It was another second hand buy from some years back, this time a completed model yes it has sprung suspension.

I also have a third 14xx which I wrongly assumed was a Springside model. Its less detailed, but has a similar chassis to the Springside one and also has plunder pickups on one side only, Slaters wheels so I guess has some method of making the chassis live. Do I need 2 autotanks ? I guess no, but as to which one to keep. All but the latest were bought about 5 years ago when I joined the local club and assisted with the o gauge layout. To be quite honest I forgot I had most of them. I blame it on the house rebuild which went a bit wrong when the first builder got into trouble.

But as I am more of a modeller than a player this latest rebuild is a pleasant change for me

• Like 2

I suspect that this is where the expectations of the 21st century meet the realities of mid 20th century white metal casting. A bit of "fettling" and " filling" were an accepted necessity. The only exception to this was the Sevenscale Pug, but this came at a considerable cost of almost 100 pounds, well over a week's wages in 1980.

This looks like an excellent opportunity to build your own chassis. At an estimated cost of less than a fiver it is certainly worth a go. The reward,if successful is immense.

20 hours ago, doilum said:

I suspect that this is where the expectations of the 21st century meet the realities of mid 20th century white metal casting. A bit of "fettling" and " filling" were an accepted necessity. The only exception to this was the Sevenscale Pug, but this came at a considerable cost of almost 100 pounds, well over a week's wages in 1980.

This looks like an excellent opportunity to build your own chassis. At an estimated cost of less than a fiver it is certainly worth a go. The reward,if successful is immense.

The chassis is fine, infact it is very well built despite part of the trailing wheel was missing

As you say the reward is in the pleasure of building it

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This topic has remained quiet for several reasons, firstly the owner of Springside went on holiday then I went away. Also I have got involved with a project of building some turnouts and crossings to a continental style in 7mm scale. Plus for my birthday my family bought me a 7' tall radio controlled yacht

Well today I received a call stating all the castings I require have been made and I was relieved that the cost was just under £100, all I can say is the owner of Springside is very helpful and large orders are cheaper than ordering a few small parts

I think I have already said I have a part built Springside 45xx, missing motor and gears which I have. It has a very large bag of small spares but no exploded diagram showing what goes where, I am certainly missing the cab rear and firebox backhead so these will be ordered once I double check the parts against the plan/diagrams

1159.jpeg.2ca3de98a88762939cd1bdae2c0b8eea.jpeg

For those who may be interested here is the slip, double timbers and closer spacing of the timbers are the obvious differences, there are a few compromises but its the style of rather than an exact replica 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A box from Springside arrived this morning, small in size but with a lot of castings including several brass sprues. Plus the instructions for the 45xx I bought which has 2 main castings missing, plus over 60 small castings which I need the plans to identify 

My main issue is time at the moment, I have a double slip on the work bench and two more turnouts and a double outside slip in the queue 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On Thursday I said the instructions arrived for the 45xx. Over the weekend I managed to check out the castings that came with the loco. Other than the cab back and firebox backhead, there was only 1 other casting missing. There are buffer heads, a brass etch, hand rail knobs and the castings missing along with various bits and bobs. And of course the motor and gearbox which I have in the spares box bought 2-3 years ago.  In some ways there is not much missing and the big ticket item (motor and gearbox will not cost me anything. So a second order will go in tomorrow

I have been having a slight clear out of surplus 4mm kits, sold two a few weeks ago and another 3 went this weekend, I cannot get excited about anything in 4mm so the modelling account is growing, initially I was going to get SR 0 gauge locos but it seems the GWR has taken over, plus there is nothing like the weight of 0 gauge whitemetal kit built locos and I keep looking at the Springside tender locos, my head says get a Collet Goods, but the Castle is not that more expensive. That's a long way off as I have plenty on and the kits I am selling are quite cheap. By the time I save up enough I would have changed my mind anyway

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello John

Just a quick question what diameter smokebox and boiler barrel is the 14xx chimney and dome designed for.... I am building a freelance miniture loco in 7/8ths and using a 32mm diameter waste pipe for the boiler 

How does this work out

John

10 hours ago, John Besley said:

Hello John

Just a quick question what diameter smokebox and boiler barrel is the 14xx chimney and dome designed for.... I am building a freelance miniture loco in 7/8ths and using a 32mm diameter waste pipe for the boiler 

How does this work out

John

The smoke box diameter is 30.25mm, boiler 26.73mm