The Swindon Railway Festival at "Steam"

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

I know this is flagged up on a Kernow thread (because they will be there - hurrah) but I thought it deserved a mention in "Exhibitions" too.

This is a post Covid return of a great show, a little sad as brother John and Owen Gibbon have had a huge hand in running and organising it over the years and Owen died unexpectedly last year, as noted earlier on RMweb.

Railway-Festival-Leaflet-2022-sqaure-1536x1536.jpg.611cbe0bd81491482a786636a3043a2c.jpg.6e2cc69bbfb94243cf76da2defe6478e.jpg

I am taking a Wild Swan stand for the first time, having only gone as a visitor before, and am all set for tomorrow and a great line up.

It was really nice to see and speak with John again, he has brought along part of the magnificent archive collection that he and Owen have built up, well worth chatting to him about and delving into.

Some great layouts too, plus all of the "Steam" museum to enjoy, Bob Harper with some interesting looking American layout, Andrew Burnham attending something Australian (I think), Andrew Bartlett's fabulous Blueball summit, a fantastic looking rendition of Lambourn in 2mm, Jerry Clifford and lots more.

I am in the main hall next to Masterpiece Models.

Their "Western" is very nice....

IMG_3713.jpg.08f06d9b29e03a77ee226f26c396793e.jpg

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
correcting neighbour
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

An excellent show but, alas, the beer tent (for the non-Driver) and barbecue were much missed although the giant sausage roll was quite tasty (the catering at Latkrail was far better in my view😇.  This is an excellent venue for a show and as ever, apart from the catering limitations, it was a good show with some excellent layouts.  And nice to meet and chat with so many familiar faces we haven't seen for a while and even pleasurable to part with a few quid in the direction of 'Not Jeremy'.

And what's more by taking a particular route homewards I was able to refill the car's petrol tank at a very attractive price at a filling station which seems to have redeveloped its reputation for 'keen' pricing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Really nice to see you and your daughter Mike, amazing how you just appeared as I was extolling your virtues to another visitor!

And thank you for reducing my burden on the way home.

A lovely show I thought, much as I miss Swindon Works as it was, it is a fantastic venue and the museum is nicely laid out over a large area. I was also very impressed with the friendliness and helpful nature of all of the museum staff and helpers, thank you all very much for a very enjoyable weekend.

Simon

• Like 1

On the basis of the article in the September 2022 issue of Railway Modeller I was looking forward to seeing "Monksbury". However, I was to be disappointed for the layout was displayed without lighting and it was therefore not easy to appreciate its excellence. I write this more in sadness than anger and suggest that two questions arise.

[1]   Given that the exhibition hall at the Swindon Museum has a limited level of lighting, why was this layout booked?

[2]   Why is it case that in the C21st there are still exhibitors who fail to understand the importance and necessity of providing (as a matter of course) a layout with its own lighting?

In the same hall Bob Harper's "New Sharon" was displayed. It was simply but beautifully lit using LED strips.

CP

Edited by cp409067

1 hour ago, cp409067 said:

[1]   Given that the exhibition hall at the Swindon Museum has a limited level of lighting, why was this layout booked?

Because it was a nice layout?

The lighting in that hall wasn’t bad, and walking around this morning, the layout looked fine to me, very nice in fact.

1 hour ago, cp409067 said:

[2]   Why is it case that in the C21st there are still exhibitors who fail to understand the importance and necessity of providing (as a matter of course) a layout with its own lighting?

Because lighting a layout to a good level is actually quite hard and expensive, a decent stripe of LEDs and Driver for a longer layout them is quite expensive actually (I know, I’ve just built a lighting rig) and devising a good looking lighting rig that is easy to transport, easy to assemble and easy to store is no mean task, therefore the builder might have made a conscious and rational decision in not building one. Just because some people find it easy and a matter of course, doesn’t mean that everyone has the same view

Why don’t you get in contact the layouts owners and put your comments to them rather than just moan on a public forum?

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I thought the level of lighting at Swindon was fine; I thought it was a very good exhibition in a wonderful location.

Although the comment about lighting was too pointed in this case I would agree that in general it is best that lighting should be included in an exhibition layout. Lighting at show venues will always be quite variable and there will be dark spots. An exhibition layout will look far better with it's own lighting. A strip of good LED lights (those very cheap rolls of LEDS are useless) and a lightweight support system isn't cheap but on the other hand it isn't too expensive in the greater scheme of the cost of building a layout. I would suggest it is better to get the lighting rig in place before building the scenery. That way, as you build your scenery you are seeing it as it will look at an exhibition.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cp409067 said:

On the basis of the article in the September 2022 issue of Railway Modeller I was looking forward to seeing "Monksbury". However, I was to be disappointed for the layout was displayed without lighting and it was therefore not easy to appreciate its excellence. I write this more in sadness than anger and suggest that two questions arise.

In the same hall Bob Harper's "New Sharon" was displayed. It was simply but beautifully lit using LED strips.

CP

If you are writing in sadness.. why are you SHOUTING?

if you have never exhibited a layout you may or may not understand the time pressures and transport space requirements) of a layout. In earlier times we would light a layoutusing a piece of 2" by 1" screwed the front of the layout with a couple of spotlights attached.. provided adequate light but looked dreadful.

Bob Harper has been building layouts for a long time and he has good lighting.. especially ass where he builds his layouts and sets them up at home is quite dark. 

The lighting at STEAM is generally quite good so sometimes layouts can get away with not having lighting. I have never had an invite for a layout which demands that the layout is fully lit.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Barry O said:

If you are writing in sadness.. why are you SHOUTING?

Because, after a quick review of posts, @cp409067 always posts in bold. Until he can learn not to do this, moderation beckons. We don't need to be shouted at.

7 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Because lighting a layout to a good level is actually quite hard and expensive, a decent stripe of LEDs and Driver for a longer layout them is quite expensive actually (I know, I’ve just built a lighting rig) and devising a good looking lighting rig that is easy to transport, easy to assemble and easy to store is no mean task, therefore the builder might have made a conscious and rational decision in not building one. Just because some people find it easy and a matter of course, doesn’t mean that everyone has the same view

I'd agree. Lighting isn't as easy as people like to think. For a reasonable size layout, good lighting can add the price of a loco to the build. That said, I wouldn't build a layout and not factor this in, and I've written before in BRM about the imortance of illumination, but ultimatly, this is the choice of the layout builder. They are funding the model out of their own pocket, it should be remembered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have never had an invite for a layout which demands that the layout is fully lit.

Baz

Agreed

The lighting of a layout is entirely down to the builder as is everything else on a layout. Could you imagine what would happen if exhibition managers started to tell layout builders what to do? I am sure that most exhibition managers do consider how appropriate any layout is for their show bearing in mind a whole load of factors. As I went round Swindon Museum on Sunday I really didn't find myself struggling to view any of the layouts due to poor light.

• Like 3

The light in a venue can vary in different locations too, and it's not always possible to site an unlit layout in a suitably bright position. However, taking a layout without lights to a show is down to the exhibitor. It's not unknown for lighting rigs to be forgotten when packing up too!

For me, good lights are essential - it makes the modelling look a lot better and I need all the help I can get. However, I also advocate that traders should consider lights for their stands. Anyone who remembers the old NEC orange gloom and trying to look at stuff in that when on a crowded stall might agree. Either way, it's not the exhibition managers job to ensure a stand gets light.

It can work the other way too. I remember a layout with full theatrical lighting at a show - directly opposite a big window on a very bright day, completely negating the effects of the expensive rig!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well I do not want to join in the lighting or not discussion, the event was very well organised, and as I have to drive almost 2 hours to get there, I was not too interested in a beer tent. Some of the traders had good prices, and I am not happy with myself to grab one or the other bargain. Well, I bought some stuff, but kept it moderate. I also enjoyed the live steam presentation outside the GWR hall, several full size and one model size traction engines under steam, as well as a stationary steam pump.

Lots of layouts, lots of presentations. Had a nice day out there. 

Missed this event, used to be a regular up to 2019 when it was a 10-minute drive but I now live 200 miles away 🙂

Regarding the layout lighting matter, I recall when the TrainWest show was held in two halls at the Olympiad Sports Centre in Chippenham - the main hall was well-lit but the other was so dark, even with the lights on (IIRC they had grid-pattern shades which directed the light output directly downwards) any layout or trade stand in there without its own lighting could have a serious problem......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To clear up any misunderstanding about the beer tent - yes previously it did indeed serve beer and cider, and yes the alcohol was irrelevant if you were driving to/from the show and trying to do so legally.  But what has gone with that tent was the level of catering it provided for as well and that has not been replaced.  Yes there was plenty of seating, in fact an excellent show in that respect.   But if you arrived in anticipation of being able to get some hot food right on the doorstep, literally, of the main part of the exhibition then something which has regularly been a previous feature of the show was not there.

That doesn't - obviously I hope make the show itself any better or any worse but part of the experience of the day was not as good as in the past especially as I didn't have any breakfast before leaving home.   Incidentally I have tow ear spectacles for reading small print and a different pair for driving but I didn''t have any difficulty whatsoever in seeing, and seeing what was taking place on, Monksbury.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Anyone who remembers the old NEC orange gloom and trying to look at stuff in that when on a crowded stall might agree.

Bear in mind that lighting and electrics are a significant income generator for the NEC. You don’t generally see change from £300 or so for a basic 500w socket and three strip lights over a stand at a three day show (not that I have attended as an exhibitor for around 5 years)….A cynic would think the poor lighting is deliberate….

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Bear in mind that lighting and electrics are a significant income generator for the NEC. You don’t generally see change from £300 or so for a basic 500w socket and three strip lights over a stand at a three day show (not that I have attended as an exhibitor for around 5 years)….A cynic would think the poor lighting is deliberate….

so you have missed the new lighting in the Halls.. no more Sodium orange ness.. now bright with Light...

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A first time visit to the exhibition for me, although I have visited Steam before, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Over 10,000 miles from home in Melbourne I found Broadford intriguing. There is a model in Victoria on the exhibition circuit, but the English version is of greater fidelity, being true “broad gauge” (5’3”). Great layouts throughout  and engaging demonstrations of construction in brass and other media. @Graham_Muz of Kernow models was delightful to talk to, and Masterpiece Models has reignited my O gauge interest. Mrs Kingmender has asked if I would like one!

The concept of mixing full size with models is great, my nephews ( who live near Chippenham) were fascinated  by both, giving the exhibition greater depth and interest. Having a private tour guide who knows a bit about the GWR helped.

However being GWR through and through, I really felt at home especially as I had spent a few days working on 6024 at minehead. Thanks to all the exhibitors and to Steam for a great day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the show, highlights for me included seeing Blueball Summit and Hunslet works. Good selection of trade, demonstrators  and layouts and nice to catch up with a few faces I haven't seen for a few years. I had never been before so wasn't aware of the previous beer tent but would have loved it to be there now I know, I did feel £3 for an instant coffee was steep so will bring my own flask next year.

• Agree 1