Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Visiting steam near Christmas

SR71

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Someone *cough* has a milestone birthday coming up and it's been suggested we they go away the weekend of the 10th Dec. Initially I thought Wales but trouble is a lot of the railways aren't publishing timetable info this far ahead and those that have are Santa Specials*. 

Anyone got any suggestions? FYI We are central South coast and North Wales is about the limit on journey time.

*To be clear the milestone means that I have unfortunately long cleared the naughty or nice list by numerous decades so I am not keen on spending the day in a carriage full of toddlers OD'ing on sugar.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect you'll find all of the heritage railway will have some kind of Christmas event by then.

The Watercress Line are doing the steam illuminations again this year: https://watercressline.co.uk/steam-illuminations/ - this year the evening trips are being billed as a 'party train', so will be a bit more adult-oriented.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Phil. I shouldn't give the impression that I think railways shouldn't run the Santa Specials. They bring in much needed income.

I was wondering if there were any lines that possibly ran a service train and Santa train in parallel still. I know visitor numbers are down so it's most likely uneconomical.

It could even be themed as something else. A miserable old ****** train perhaps? Curly sandwiches and luke warm tea served in a plastic cup with plastic milk...

• Funny 3

The various steam excursion firms usually run some pretty posh trains in the lead-up to Christmas. Might that be an alternative?

(you may have to book ‘non-dining’ and take your own Traveller’s Fare Memorial Picnic)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Most lines shut down until the Santa Specials in December. These generate so much income they take priority.

Indeed.

What with Santa specials and now steamlight trains, the receipts from Christmas services (including ancillary spend on gifts / refreshments) is by far the largest income stream Heritage railways have - and can equate to 50% of the revues the railway generates over an entire calender year.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The North York Moors Railway has opened bookings for its Christmas Moorlander lunchtime dining trains - very much aimed at adults looking for a special occasion.

EDIT Apologies - just reread the OP and noted your travel limits. As you were…

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
New info making the post irrelevant.
  • Thanks 1

On 11/09/2022 at 15:14, SR71 said:

Hello,

Someone *cough* has a milestone birthday coming up and it's been suggested we they go away the weekend of the 10th Dec. Initially I thought Wales but trouble is a lot of the railways aren't publishing timetable info this far ahead and those that have are Santa Specials*. 

Anyone got any suggestions? FYI We are central South coast and North Wales is about the limit on journey time.

*To be clear the milestone means that I have unfortunately long cleared the naughty or nice list by numerous decades so I am not keen on spending the day in a carriage full of toddlers OD'ing on sugar.

Have a look for ones running Mince Pie specials. Often on the same day as Santa Specials. They are aimed at the more adult audience and often have a mince pie and an alcoholic drink such as a sherry provided.

Sometimes they are a little later in the day such as early evening when all the ankle biters have gone home.

Mention of North Wales would suggest having a look at Llangollen.

https://llangollen-railway.co.uk/santa-specials/

To be honest I don't think you'll have any problems with the little ones, they're usually well behaved.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

"It could even be themed as something else. A miserable old ****** train perhaps? Curly sandwiches and luke warm tea served in a plastic cup with plastic milk..."

The 1980s Experience Special, pulled by a rusty Class 47 on its last legs that will break down in the middle of nowhere.  Five minutes later, the buffet car will sell out of anything drinkable.  There is no water in the toilets and the towel-roll is dangling on the floor in a puddle of something.  You share your carriage with garrulous students and drunken squaddies (who brought their own beer).  As you look from your window at the stationary countryside, a rat tries to stare you out.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Aren't there any main line steam specials advertised ? 

They don't usually carry too many screaming ankle biters trying to poke you in the eye with candyfloss., and they don't always  originate in London.

https://www.railwide.co.uk/steamtraintrips.php

Anyone who gives a small child that much sugar deserves everything they get!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bit late and possibly a bit too far away, but the East Lancs keep the brake coach at the north end of the stock available for non-Santa passengers in December. Usually behind the steam loco, with a diesel on the rear to haul the train back from Rawtenstall.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

To update this for anyone else wondering.

Steam lights is mostly your pre CChristmas non Santa option. The Swanage and one of the Somerset lines both had a limited number of trains.

However. In the last week the Ffestinog has announced that it is doing winter wonderland trains and, provided I dodge the grotto, I won't be asked to sit on anyone's knee.

Very chuffed. We will be staying near the Llangollen in all probability so if there's a guards van going spare (for a donation) I wouldn't say no to a trip up the line!

Between Christmas and New year seems to be the time for mince pie specials. Sadly I'm on family duty but I'll hopefully get to the Princes Risborough and Chinnor shop to browse the books as it's only 10mins from FIL's house.

11 hours ago, SR71 said:

To update this for anyone else wondering.

Steam lights is mostly your pre CChristmas non Santa option. The Swanage and one of the Somerset lines both had a limited number of trains.

However. In the last week the Ffestinog has announced that it is doing winter wonderland trains and, provided I dodge the grotto, I won't be asked to sit on anyone's knee.

Very chuffed. We will be staying near the Llangollen in all probability so if there's a guards van going spare (for a donation) I wouldn't say no to a trip up the line!

Between Christmas and New year seems to be the time for mince pie specials. Sadly I'm on family duty but I'll hopefully get to the Princes Risborough and Chinnor shop to browse the books as it's only 10mins from FIL's house.

Hi SR71 - Glad to hear that you managed to organise a railway celebration!

I had a similar problem with my 'landmark birthday' coinciding with the closed season for most heritage lines. I went for the East Lancs, as they are still running through November and I can get there by train & tram. I opted for their last 'Non Santa' weekend - I wish I had known that the brake coach was available for non Santa customers!!!!

I like the sound of both a 'Travellers Fare memorial picnic (Thankyou for that one Nearholmer - a classic!!! ) and also Rogerzillas '80's experience' is tempting too - though missing the 'singing' football fans!!

I hope you have a fantastic day SR71 - I'll let you know how mine goes later this month :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another entry to the roster.

Talyllyn is running Christmas lunch trains on December Tuesdays. We're fortunate that Tuesday was our return day so we'll fill up on turkey then power home before work the next day.

If time and funds allow we might even stop at the much fabled Lord and Butler on the way back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well on the way to elsewhere I saw the Llangollen Santa train yesterday morning. While topped and tailed the j94 was propelling as it came past me.

Compress_20221211_061834_4990.jpg.f9a005bdb40f77dd843e316b769ee60f.jpgCompress_20221211_062107_7784.jpg.30482802573c0df6ea12f12342629717.jpg

The Ffestinog have announced extra trains this weekend;

Screenshot_20221211-062523-406.png.ffea345f07ed1af54ed538e730d102c1.png