Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Fascinating old adverts for railway equipment

Fascinating stuff U36B.

Tottenham to Cambridge and back at an average speed of 13.55 mph, with a load of 92 tones, which if the photo shows the actual test train consisted of three bogie coaches and one that I think is a six-wheeler.

The loco seems to have been a second iteration, there having been a previous version built by a German maker in 1922, very similar internally but not externally, as a testbed for the Lenz transmission.

Somewhere, and I'd have to ferret around to find where, I'm sure I've read that the "LNER" loco was used succesfully for many years in branchline service in Austria.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Ok, really testing question for any trainspotters here present: which British railway hosted a trial of a Graz diesel loco in 1924?

I know we trend older but not that old :)

But on the subject of development - within 14 years  they had produced a 4400hp loco which features on this advert from 1938

cfrad.jpg

https://www.derbysulzers.com/cfrprototype.html

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, U36B said:

Nearholmer,

another German article:

1084117563_Scangwf01a.jpg.c5a81543738f11bb75c342d4738106b9.jpg

1945047398_Scangwf02.jpg.11a7c92d807038603285862c5e0f0831.jpg

So, it was the first diesel build in Austria and the first British mainline diesel loco

50 Jahre Dieselokomotiven ;  H.K. Stockklausner;  Basel 1963 

Btw .... take a close look at the cover:

spacer.png

D7063,

London and Cambridge:

https://www.lner.info/locos/Experimental/Graz040.php

The chassis looks like it could be modelled using the Nellie/Polly/Connie chassis!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Morello Cherry said:

I know we trend older but not that old :)

But on the subject of development - within 14 years  they had produced a 4400hp loco which features on this advert from 1938

cfrad.jpg

https://www.derbysulzers.com/cfrprototype.html

Wow - Thanks for posting that - a sort of double class 47!!!! I'm going to search for the 'Buchi Turbo charging system; later :)

• Like 1

Good evening - it's time for another old advert...

Tonight it's a real treat from the 'Consolidated Brake & Engineering Co Ltd' of Slough. Judging by the size of those rubber mountings this exhauster must have bounced around a fair bit when in use!

(I'm not sure why the picture is sideways though, it displays correctly on my laptop!)

R24.jpg

Edited by D7063
spelling - as usual
  • Like 3

For anyone that is getting a bit bored, here's something to catch your interest - What about an advert for vibrators!!!

In fact in this case its Jackson Vibrators with an unmissable 3 for one offer!!!

This is another American track machine company similar to one we had earlier in the thread :)

R25.jpg

• Like 5

It’s buried in the back of an over-filled cupboard at the moment, so I can’t show you all, but I have a big 1920s copy of a railroad maintenance yearbook, the best advert in which is for a “weed burner”, consisting of a sort of small motorised trolley, on which sits an intrepid chap surrounded by huge barrels of kerosene. At the front are a series of downward directed blow lamp nozzles, fed with kerosene from said barrels, which create a roaring furnace to ….. burn weeds.

Accident waiting to happen doesn’t even begin to describe it.

PS: I have found this, which is a 1940s version, looking more advanced and slightly less dangerous.

6E465E0D-2B0D-4FE0-BE3E-4CD325141FC9.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It’s buried in the back of an over-filled cupboard at the moment, so I can’t show you all, but I have a big 1920s copy of a railroad maintenance yearbook, the best advert in which is for a “weed burner”, consisting of a sort of small motorised trolley, on which sits an intrepid chap surrounded by huge barrels of kerosene. At the front are a series of downward directed blow lamp nozzles, fed with kerosene from said barrels, which create a roaring furnace to ….. burn weeds.

Accident waiting to happen doesn’t even begin to describe it.

PS: I have found this, which is a 1940s version, looking more advanced and slightly less dangerous.

6E465E0D-2B0D-4FE0-BE3E-4CD325141FC9.jpeg

That's a lot of flame outfront!!! I wonder how many accidental fires these things set off, and also wouldn't they be at risk of setting the sleepers alight?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

When I worked for London Underground in the 1980s someone told me that the A-stock trains as shown in the poster were what caused Cravens to go bust, having undercharged to get the contract. The CIE coaches built immediately after the A62s (the "Uxbridge Contract") were, I think, the last vehicles Cravens built.

Class 105s, as I recall, were rather undewhelming. A-stock was magnificent.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2022 at 11:41, D7063 said:

Thanks Derek - didn't the reactors also need to be 'on load' all the time, and the only way of ensuring enough demand at night was to encourage the use of storage heaters through 'economy 7'?

I think it was then Prime Minister Harold Macmillan who spoke at the opening opening of Calder Hall.

The Economy 7 was a later idea to use base load (coal and nuclear) to get electric, clean heating into houses with no central heating boilers, only coal fires and was a result of various stages of Clean Air Acts. My grandparents had a few until central heating was fitted in the late 70s or early 80s.

The reason to run Calder Hall at a strong rate (as opposed using up base load from the newer, bigger coal fired units) was more to with the (very secret) business of producing enough plutonium for our fledgling independent nuclear deterent and H bomb experiments.

Anyway, back on topic...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Jeremy C said:

Class 105s, as I recall, were rather undewhelming. A-stock was magnificent.

I was thinking about that very thing when I saw the advert, and wondering exactly why the quality of the two was so different. My tentative conclusion is that the difference was the customer, in that LT was, and still is, a very demanding customer that sets tight, very well thought out specifications and puts the effort in to ensure that suppliers stick to them. Or, maybe I’m just biased because I worked for LT for twice as long as I did for BR!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hello everybody, tonight we have a more mundane piece of railway equipment  - the humble insulated rail joiner (which until recently I though only existed on the model version of permanent way!)

According to Permali  'only 3 pieces of insulation cannot fail electrically' - I'm not sure I understand this - the fish plates seem to be made of an insulating material, but there are two of those...hmmm

R28.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, D7063 said:

the fish plates seem to be made of an insulating material, but there are two of those...hmmm

The third piece is that “slice of rail” on the right, which fits between the ends of the two pieces of steel rail.

Insulated block joints have multiple failure modes, all of which manifest at the most inconvenient moments, so the main claim is a big fib anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

The third piece is that “slice of rail” on the right, which fits between the ends of the two pieces of steel rail.

Insulated block joints have multiple failure modes, all of which manifest at the most inconvenient moments, so the main claim is a big fib anyway.

Ahhh, Thankyou Nearholmer I see now!!! Insulating materials tend to be a bit fragile and I can't imagine them being suitable for use as rail joints - I guess they must have been to some degree or this product would have stayed on the drawing board.

It's still a bold claim to say it cannot fail though!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I can’t say I recall seeing one made like that, using fishplates of insulating material.

The way rail joints move when a train passes over them, I can't imagine a Bakelite fish plate lasting very long!

• Agree 1