RMweb

Acceptable standards at exhibitions

3 hours ago, fulton said:

On the question of lamps in 4mm scale

Just go Bavarian? For at least 30 years Trix, Roco, Rivarossi (and, I assume Marklin) have included the lamps with illumination, and changes-around for reversing.

I'm still checking whether K.Bay.Sts.B. practice included varying the number of lamps for the duty. My S3/6 has 3 on the front, but my P2/5 only has two, as does the tiny PtL2/2.

"This film is not a documentary. Supported by sounds that are familiar to us then closely linked to the music, the images that follow are only intended to create an atmosphere."

I just noticed this caption (I've translated it) at the start of Jean Mitry's 1949 film that married Arthur Honegger's  "Pacific 231" to film of such a locomotive in action.* 

Isn't creating that atmosphere, from whatever era,  visually in three dimensions what we are trying to do with our layouts? I've seen layouts that do that with every detail of operation - including lamps- faithfully reproduced but equally succesfully by layouts that use a much broader brush. I've also seen plenty of layouts that accurately "document" their chosen subject but almost totally lack that atmsosphere. 

*The sounds were very familiar in 1949 but sadly not anymore. The  film used images of an ex Nord  Chapelon Pacific (2-231E 24 )in action on a run between Paris and Lille and won prizes for its editing. It is available online

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKRCJhLU7rs&t=148s&ab_channel=WouterVanBelle 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, DenysW said:

I'm still checking whether K.Bay.Sts.B. practice included varying the number of lamps for the duty. My S3/6 has 3 on the front, but my P2/5 only has two, as does the tiny PtL2/2.

This is thread drift and I claim my £10!

According to Fahrt Frei, a book specifically about K.Bay.Sts.B. signalling practice, in practical terms it is two.

A white light over each buffer indicates "a planned move in the correct direction."

There ARE other lights, including red and green for special circumstances.

I don't find it easy to read the small Gothic script but if you have a thread on here I will endeavour to translate and show what they mean.

Incidentally as a freelance continental modeller (I know!) I just settle for two white lights on the front.

This is the headcode for, "Look out It's a train".

It would be interesting to know why it was only British practice (and its derivatives) that felt the need to indicate the train class whereas the French and German systems did not.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

No, no, no.
Melvil Dewey, originator of the Dewey Decimal Classification system of book cataloguing.

Just to drag this thread quite off-topic and add, "Personally, I am a CC man."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_classification

Bliss is rather good as well, and kept up-to-date.  Sorry, could not let the opportunity pass.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

It would be interesting to know why it was only British practice (and its derivatives) that felt the need to indicate the train class whereas the French and German systems did not.

Ian T

The Engllish are well known for having a class system, which foreigners laugh at.  But our signalmen needed to know what sort of a train it was in order to meet their duty to regulate traffic by giving priority to faster/more important trains.  We hade numerous classes of goods trains, whose sectional timings varied quite a lot according to the extent of effective continuous brakes, a problem which maybe was less of an issue elsewhere?

Maybe the French & German Signalmen didn't have authority to regulate traffic - or perhaps they just ran their trains to time like the Italians did whilst Il Duce was in power ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C126 said:

Just to drag this thread quite off-topic and add, "Personally, I am a CC man."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_classification

Bliss is rather good as well, and kept up-to-date.  Sorry, could not let the opportunity pass.

Transport was/is always a problem with DDC. Where I worked, I put all the transport books in a separate section; at least I knew where they were...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I must admit the idea of wearing a grocer's brown coat, with a couple of pens in the pocket, appeals to me to round off the whole ambience of a layout set in the 1950s.

You mean you wear one while your operating it?

You've obviously failed to recognise TV's stereotype modeller - you're supposed to wear a greasetop hat!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Incidentally as a freelance continental modeller (I know!) I just settle for two white lights on the front.

This is the headcode for, "Look out It's a train".

This is what most of the RTR do, and isn't it wonderfully simple and argument free? Two white lights at the back lit only when reversing that you can only see in the absence of wagons/coaches. Sorted.

I don't have a thread of my own, and don't think I need to trouble you to translate Bavarian lamp codes, although many thanks for the offer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I must admit the idea of wearing a grocer's brown coat, with a couple of pens in the pocket, appeals to me to round off the whole ambience of a layout set in the 1950s.

When Hanging Hill was out and about I did suggest to my long haired, leather jacket wearing mate we wore Mod suits as the layout was set in the 60s.....I won't repeat his reply as most the words are not those allowed on RMweb.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You mean you wear one while your operating it?

You've obviously failed to recognise TV's stereotype modeller - you're supposed to wear a greasetop hat!

Also wave green flags and blow your ACME Thunderer.  Ah, the ACME Thunderer, a man's whistle, issued to policemen, football referees, and railway guards.  Skilled use is extremely effective in crowd control and inducing a sense of urgency in passingers bimbling about on platforms.  I wish I'd kept mine, with a stamped BR(W) tin plate on it.

I have a theory that a strategically located person with a Thunderer, a supply of traffic cones, and a roll of crime scene tape could probably rule the world...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DenysW said:

Just go Bavarian? For at least 30 years Trix, Roco, Rivarossi (and, I assume Marklin) have included the lamps with illumination, and changes-around for reversing.

And don’t forget the diesel Loco with drivers that “change ends” with direction.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

And don’t forget the diesel Loco with drivers that “change ends” with direction.

To achieve that effect, you could put him on a pivot so he lies on his side on the cab floor when he's supposedly not there, worked by servos.  You wouldn't really see him there through the windows.

You might have difficulty fitting in a mechanism to do the same with a second man and an inspector though!

Or maybe just a mechanism to change his uniform to be a Guard riding in the rear cab!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

My layout is set from the late 2010s to near- present day. The layout team will all be wearing hoodies at th3 next outing.

And we'll have a couple of spray cans in the pockets for a bit of tagging.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, newbryford said:

My layout is set from the late 2010s to near- present day. The layout team will all be wearing hoodies at th3 next outing.

I look forward to seeing a model set in 2020-21, where everyone is wearing masks and with social distancing arrows on pavements and platforms.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

I look forward to seeing a model set in 2020-21, where everyone is wearing masks and with social distancing arrows on pavements and platforms.

No platforms on my layout.....

27 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I'd recommend against this. My son was particularly annoyed when, caught tagging and taken off to the nick in Birmingham, his mother brought his big sister along to 'help' bring him home in the wee small hours.

• Like 2