Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Acceptable standards at exhibitions

34 minutes ago, newbryford said:

My layout is set from the late 2010s to near- present day. The layout team will all be wearing hoodies at th3 next outing.

And we'll have a couple of spray cans in the pockets for a bit of tagging.....

I'll bring my head torch....we could go dogging?.....

With a dog! Dirty minded reader's 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I'll bring my head torch....we could go dogging?.....

With a dog! Dirty minded reader's 

Good old Kayleigh....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

16 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I look forward to seeing a model set in 2020-21, where everyone is wearing masks and with social distancing arrows on pavements and platforms.

And presumably no trains moving either?

I'd suggest there are already enough layouts at exhibitions that suffer from this distressing affliction, regardless of what Era they're set in. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I'd suggest there are already enough layouts at exhibitions that suffer from this distressing affliction, regardless of what Era they're set in. 

You could run plenty of trains but they'd have no passengers in them.

Edited by Northmoor

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Because I believe that sometimes one would have to remove stock from the layout to change them.

One might not, if the layout were designed so that stock needing lamp changing was reasonably accessible to the hands or tweezers doing the job; most of my crane shunting in this cause is getting at the awkward lamp brackets under the overhanging bunker extensions and the top bracket surrounded by the coal fender on GW tank engines.  Gangwayed stock next to the bunker, rare on my layout but it does happen with NPCCS, makes the task even harder.  It needs to be considered when the layout is being designed, in the same way as accessibility to points were vehicles are coupled or uncoupled on layouts with scale couplings.

Matters are made easier at termini with turntables that can be accessed from within station limits, where lamps on the loco do not need to be changed at all, it is simply turned and couples back on to the train and does not need to be lamped as a light engine unless it enters the section.  The awkward one here is the tail lamp on the stock, difficult to place on the rear for the outward journey especially if you have an overall roof.  Even on Cwmdimbath the buffer end of the platform is not easy to reach, and I usually change the lamp while the train is reversed for the loco to run around. 

The hand of god cannot be avoided any more than it can with scale couplings, and throwing turnouts on my layout, but stock removal crane shunting can most of the time, and when I do resort to it it is for comfort and ease of changing rather than out of out and out necessity.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Isn't this topic about realistic operation, then?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

To achieve that effect, you could put him on a pivot so he lies on his side on the cab floor when he's supposedly not there, worked by servos.  You wouldn't really see him there through the windows.

You might have difficulty fitting in a mechanism to do the same with a second man and an inspector though!

Or maybe just a mechanism to change his uniform to be a Guard riding in the rear cab!

It does, the driver figure folds down one end and up the other.

Clever these Johnny foreigners 😄

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

Perhaps the next DCC advance after sound, will be hologrammatic figures or lamps. When switched on, they appear. When switched off, they disappear.

Maybe we could have hologrammatic visitors at shows - that would improve the air quality......

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

Perhaps the next DCC advance after sound, will be hologrammatic figures or lamps. When switched on, they appear. When switched off, they disappear.

Pneumatic is the way to go, optional thin or fat drivers.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, newbryford said:

At least on modern trains, there's no need to change lamps......

At the front, but don't you still need a red lamp on the back of a freight train? (well any train but the built-in lights on multiple units count)

• Like 1

Getting back to acceptable standards at model railway shows.... I thought I should post this image of how our team present ourselves when we exhibit our Bewdley and Whithorn at exhibitions.

More recently it has been noticed that other layout operators are now beginning to follow our trend by wearing bow ties.    [Alisdair]  

TEAM AT RAINHILL.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Getting back to acceptable standards at model railway shows.... I thought I should post this image of how our team present ourselves when we exhibit our Bewdley and Whithorn at exhibitions.

More recently it has been noticed that other layout operators are now beginning to follow our trend by wearing bow ties.    [Alisdair]  

TEAM AT RAINHILL.jpg

Spinning bow ties, I like it……😄

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Hopefully shirts and trousers also?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I fear this will start another drift to 'contemporary dress standards' and the decline of the frock coat (the start of the rot, I.M.H.O.), but I am always glad to see at exhibitions an operating team in a matching 'ensemble', even if only a sweat-shirt with the club/ layout title on it.  Always impresses me, and shows effort.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

TEAM AT RAINHILL.jpg

Yep very presentable.....thought I would do same......my Internet search history now screwed.....and wife wants to know what I've been on amazon for

Screenshot_20221108-114143_Google.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2