RMweb

Acceptable standards at exhibitions

• RMweb Gold

Just as well it isn't the Innsmouth Railway, sorry, Railroad...  There is a very good model of the Miskatonic RR at Arkham that would go with it, but I advise against anything that might even accidentally summon an Ancient Great One or awaken it from it's brooding slumber.  They are fictional, but all the same, just to be on the safe side...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2022 at 11:42, C126 said:

I fear this will start another drift to 'contemporary dress standards' and the decline of the frock coat (the start of the rot, I.M.H.O.), but I am always glad to see at exhibitions an operating team in a matching 'ensemble', even if only a sweat-shirt with the club/ layout title on it.  Always impresses me, and shows effort.

Just as long as the shirts are washed together*, else some end up more faded than others. 

Someone tried imposing a uniform policy for a preservation society stand we used to help with (smart polished shoes in a loco shed?), Mrs 298 told him to not bother because they were lucky to have a woman involved....

*My neighbour washes the kit for a local football team and after an anonymous note was placed through his door now hangs them out in numerical order, instead of the random jumble of before.

Edited by 298
  • Like 4
  • Funny 7

On 08/11/2022 at 16:52, rogerzilla said:

They'll have track-emptying toilets on BR Mk1 coaches next.  3D-printed "bangers and mash", as the guys in hi-viz used to call it.

The phrase 'bangers and mash' is (unsurprisingly) in the Viz Profanisaurus, complete with a 'quote' from the totally made-up, Thomas and the Dyno-Rod Man.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, 298 said:

*My neighbour washes the kit for a local football team and after an anonymous note was placed through his door now hangs them out in numerical order, instead of the random jumble of before.

The note obviously written by a member of RMWeb 🤣

• Funny 5

4 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

That'll be Rich Phipp, a very fine fellow indeed!

Seen here as a porter on the "Watchmouth Railway" at this year's Larkrail, complete with memorabilia from the line....

IMG_2879.JPG.32b9de045047d9ef690624c016db5390.JPG

Obviously enjoys what he's doing.....but.... rm contributers would comment on un-balasted track as its not up to standards?.....

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Obviously enjoys what he's doing.....but.... rm contributers would comment on un-balasted track as its not up to standards?.....

It’s not un-ballasted track, it’s pre-ballasted 😅

Discuss………you know somebody will…..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

38 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

It’s not un-ballasted track, it’s pre-ballasted 😅

Discuss………you know somebody will…..

You are uptight about the track ballast.  I more concerned about what the two gentlemen are doing bending over in the background! (Alisdair)

• Funny 2

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

I more concerned about what the two gentlemen are doing bending over in the background

The chap in yellow has the box of matches.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

The phrase 'bangers and mash' is (unsurprisingly) in the Viz Profanisaurus, complete with a 'quote' from the totally made-up, Thomas and the Dyno-Rod Man.

The permanent way gangs were calling it that in the 70s, before Viz first appeared (I am actually a Viz subscriber, and once had a letter published).

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

The permanent way gangs were calling it that in the 70s, before Viz first appeared (I am actually a Viz subscriber, and once had a letter published).

Well, as the topic is now well and truly at sea I can top that (although it does have a railway connection.)

Terry Wogan used to have discussions on his morning program about the meaning of words. On one occasion the subject word was "leveret". He did read out the letter I sent where I pointed out that a "leveret" is a small lever frequently found on US trains with a message that says,

"Do not pull the leveret while the train is standing in the station."

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Algernon Rees-Mogg and his charming wife Listeria prepare to demonstrate the all British DCC sound system at their local model railway show. When asked to comment on presentation Mr Rees Mogg said that for informal occasions he believed that it was most acceptable to wear tweed providing that it was adequately tailored.

arm.jpg.e3fe545eefda2923cb5a42b176b7c55b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

What...no top hat?

Hats should be removed when indoors. But this does raise the awkward question of what counts as indoors. A large exhibition hall may pass for outdoors:

great-exhibition---crop.jpg

except in the presence of majesty:

ge_opening.jpg

of course.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Neil said:

Algernon Rees-Mogg and his charming wife Listeria prepare to demonstrate the all British DCC sound system at their local model railway show. When asked to comment on presentation Mr Rees Mogg said that for informal occasions he believed that it was most acceptable to wear tweed providing that it was adequately tailored.

I note that Mr R-M has his right hand in a position of imminent percussive maintenance, implying that things needed perfecting. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Neil said:

Tweed is always my preferred cloth for exhibitions, and I am glad to see the lady is wearing a glove (but sadly not a crinoline).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hats should be removed when indoors. But this does raise the awkward question of what counts as indoors. A large exhibition hall may pass for outdoors:

great-exhibition---crop.jpg

except in the presence of majesty:

ge_opening.jpg

of course.

I am in your debt. Etiquette was never one of my strong points...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick historical bit of hat-related pedantry: in the mid-1800's hats were not removed at concerts, which must have been very annoying for those sitting behind the gents.  See pics in the Readers' Digest series of historical photos by decades:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peace-Prosperity-1860s-Looking-Britain/dp/0276443926/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3CUM2QDHAPUVY&keywords=readers+digest+1860s&qid=1668075694&sprefix=%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-1

Edited by C126
Found ref.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I note that Mr R-M has his right hand in a position of imminent percussive maintenance, implying that things needed perfecting. 

Good grief man, what do you expect, it is British after all.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, C126 said:

Just a quick historical bit of hat-related pedantry: in the mid-1800's hats were not removed at concerts, which must have been very annoying for those sitting behind the gents.

Another of those not-quite-indoors venues? Was there some hat height to ceiling height ratio that gentlemen knew by instinct?

Throughout that period and well into the twentieth century, women mostly wore hats in all public spaces. That must have been even more annoying for those sitting behind.

However, looking for images of 19th century opera audiences, I see hats removed by the majority of both genders, though tiaras were retained.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 298 said:

Someone tried imposing a uniform policy for a preservation society stand we used to help with (smart polished shoes in a loco shed?), 

That reminds me of the case of a couple of detectives working in a local village on  a stake out.

They were dressed as decorators complete with ladders and paint.

However the smart polished shoes were a dead give away.

It was a long time ago and they have improved their undercover peocedures since then.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The next number of the Midland Railway Society Journal will contain a reproduction of a letter of 1837 from Frederick Swanwick, the 27-year-old Assistant Engineer (i.e. resident engineer) of the North Midland Railway* to one of the directors. The context is unclear; there must have been some discussion about clearance height of bridges over public roads. He includes a delightful sketch of a road coach, showing that while the coach itself is just 7' 6" to top of roof, with a tall man (in a tall hat, in the sketch) in the driver's or attendant's seat, the overall height is about 10' 8". Obviously the hat provides a margin of safety!

*and also simultaneously of the York & North Midland and Sheffield & Rotherham Railways.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, HonestTom said:

I recall seeing  a chap exhibiting a broad gauge layout at Swindon some years back who wore appropriate Victorian attire. The layout was also very impressive, being largely built from card. Between the subject, the method and the presentation, it was by far the most memorable exhibit at the show, and it was only a small layout.

I've worn a kilt for the two times "Tiree" has been shown in its uncompleted state.. complete sporran and club polo shirt.

• Like 3