Packaging - guilt reduction version?

• Moderators

My perspective is that if you haven't got space to store empty boxes (if you want to keep them) maybe you've got more stock than you need? Aside from the recyclable plastic much of the packaging materials (if you want to get rid) can be recycled into the scenery (cutting down on the amount of poly-based materials that are bought), acetate for glazing etc etc.

First world problem if ever I saw one.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

This is a very valid point @Torbay Express, and with increasing our UK based team over the past 12/18 months we have cut down significantly on the flights and pollution that way. Our first year of Accurascale operations I did 16 trips! This year we have it down to 5, including the impending Warley hop. So we're working on it, little by little! 

Cheers!

Fran 

Take it you really didn't fancy the dingy..... 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Take it you really didn't fancy the dingy..... 

With an outboard McC......i mean motor..

28 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

My perspective is that if you haven't got space to store empty boxes (if you want to keep them) maybe you've got more stock than you need?

There is the wonderful everyday is there not

IMG_1256[1].JPG

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, after a nice cup of tea. 🙂

I could have done a better job with my original post when I started this thread.  More time, shorter letter etc. 🙂

I've un-confused my thoughts a bit:

1. I'm not out and about posting in the Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol, Cavalex, Heljan threads about chucking out packaging.  But that all goes to the bin / recycling too.  

2. It wasn't really guilt about the environmental impact.  Whilst every little saving does help, the guilt-free solution would be to just stop buying plastic toy trains and shipping them across the oceans.  A choice I haven't made.  Resulting, as mentioned, in far too much stock in my loft.

3. Accurascale packaging is a crapload nicer than almost all other manufacturers' packaging. 

So the 'guilt' is about how nice it is, the effort AS put into presentation and showcasing, which I just stamp flat and put out for the Friday 6am collection (enthusiastically noisy collection crew also).  As someone who also designs products, I feel a small kitten might die every time I do it.  Can't say that about the red or blue boxes.

But as this isn't a forum for un-confusing confused people, and it clearly is a first world problem, maybe we can stop here 🙂

I did keep the PTA boxes though because they're really space efficient and have a nice easy flip-top access.

Edited by andythenorth
apostrophes
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Islesy said:

Well, as it forms a core part of our corporate approach to modelling, and the way we want to portray our brands, then yes, absolutely.

Totally agree! Leave the packaging (size style etc.) as it is please. The Accurascale packaging is one of the many attractions that sets them apart from other manufacturers. Absolute top quality!

Just seen the box for my Rails exclusive DB Red Class 92 that I've ordered. Bloody lovely!

Don't change the packaging style. Thank you

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

An example why we use the packaging we use. A customer sent us this. 

IMG_6359.jpg.4215eff4b8c7762fcf91c1f81c9b3aa5.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg.c91409526caae0c252aaaf0810d79103.jpg

We have tried various courier systems over the last few years and each one can be as guilty as the other for having this happen on occasion (it's not frequent, but it does happen!) Also note that they travel on pallets from the factory by road, are picked up, loaded on a massive container ships, sometimes reloaded on other feeder ships part way through their journeys, bob up and down on the sea for 6 weeks, unloaded, put on a truck, taken off a truck etc before they even get to a courier.

So, to prevent damage to the paint finish, moving parts, shocks, glued parts, electronics etc all through that journey they need to be well wrapped, which is what we try to achieve with our packaging.

And it looks nice too in our opinion.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

An example why we use the packaging we use. A customer sent us this. 

IMG_6359.jpg.4215eff4b8c7762fcf91c1f81c9b3aa5.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg.c91409526caae0c252aaaf0810d79103.jpg

Looks like an ad coming on...... 

Courier runs to front door, tries to ram it through the letter box..... (You guessed it!).... Should have gone to Specsavers....... 

• Like 1