Packaging - guilt reduction version?

• RMweb Premium

Hi McC and co,

Accurascale packaging is incredibly high quality.

I know it's a big feature of the brand, and it really does raise the game on presentation. 🙂

But when it comes to wagon packs, I usually bin / recycle all of it (sorry).

I am sure some people find it beneficial to keep their collection boxed up, with the plastic sleeves etc.  Keeps it nice and safe.  And preserves the resale value. 🙂

But I don't really have the space.

So I keep things like MDOs and MDVs go in Warley Stock Boxes, or in other boxes with foam offcuts. 

I can fit a lot more in, and it's faster to pack / unpack when I want to play trains.

I've just recycled the plastic sleeves from 4 HAA packs.  And the polythene outer and the wagon wrap are in the bin. 🤖

I might keep the boxes, I think I can fit 5 or 6 hoppers in them turned sideways.  But the plastic inners will also go to recycling.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT 🙃 

But if you did review the packaging design in future, is there a way to keep the quality, but with less plastic, and/or smaller volume per wagon?

I do appreciate that the primary job is to get the models here safe while they're being bounced around in an ISO box. 

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Hi McC and co,

Accurascale packaging is incredibly high quality.

I know it's a big feature of the brand, and it really does raise the game on presentation. 🙂

But when it comes to wagon packs, I usually bin / recycle all of it (sorry).

I am sure some people find it beneficial to keep their collection boxed up, with the plastic sleeves etc.  Keeps it nice and safe.  And preserves the resale value. 🙂

But I don't really have the space.

So I keep things like MDOs and MDVs go in Warley Stock Boxes, or in other boxes with foam offcuts. 

I can fit a lot more in, and it's faster to pack / unpack when I want to play trains.

I've just recycled the plastic sleeves from 4 HAA packs.  And the polythene outer and the wagon wrap are in the bin. 🤖

I might keep the boxes, I think I can fit 5 or 6 hoppers in them turned sideways.  But the plastic inners will also go to recycling.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT 🙃 

But if you did review the packaging design in future, is there a way to keep the quality, but with less plastic, and/or smaller volume per wagon?

I do appreciate that the primary job is to get the models here safe while they're being bounced around in an ISO box. 

I’ll take some of your boxes if you dont want them!

Seriously though, the boxes have a value, either on ebay, rmweb classifieds or increasingly various Facebook model railway groups are becoming a popular place to sell

• Like 2

It's not just on the high seas, Royal Mail and Couriers often test packaging to its limits, throwing boxes around, sliding them accross floors etc.. 

Current packaging does what it's supposed to, be careful what you wish for, 140 parts to a wagon could 

take a considerable time to glue back in place! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tomathee said:

From the title I thought this was to do with guilt from an other half and a plea for packaging that would be less likely to get us into trouble when it arrives

Happiness is having a joint account and separate personal current accounts.

Also 2 separate bathrooms, if you can stretch to that.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Happiness is having adequate dosh to be able to afford a joint account and separate personal current accounts.

... and seperate bathrooms.

I don't think it is the size of the box that counts. On the loco side, I've never had a Rapido, Heljan (original) nor Dapol boxed crushed or penetrated. The odd occasional Hornby, Bachmann or later Heljan boxes have arrived with a bit crushed from time to time. And they are all far smaller (one 1/3rd of an Accurascale box). 

The issues I have had are all related to bits flying off in the ice cube packaging. Regardless of however deep the foam is, a whack won't stop a loco deforming the ice cube causing bits to be crushed etc. I find small bits of foam within the ice cube, holding strong points, helps to absorb the shock.

Another thing that helps is polyester quavers or air pockets /bubble wrap between the model's box an the out the carton of equal thickness all around except the narrow ends which be twice as think (weight concentration on a smaller area). Again cushioning the shock. This being outside the main model box.

I think the Accurascale wagon boxes are perfectly designed but easily could be smaller OR one which holds 3 wagons could hold 4.

I've not really had issues with damage to rolling stock due to poor box design from anyone really (Though find Heljan an overkill).

Cavalex Warflats arrived in really tiny boxes akin to Triang days and the wagons were fine.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Happiness is having adequate dosh to be able to afford a joint account and separate personal current accounts.

Can't dispute that, it's well put 🙂

15 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Cavalex Warflats arrived in really tiny boxes akin to Triang days and the wagons were fine.

I deliberately didn't mention Cavalex, because I don't want be doing manufacturer comparison (internet forums seem obsessed with Mac vs. PC, Cat vs. Komatsu, Volvo vs. Scania, Deere vs Case etc).

But I do really like Cavalex packaging, it's minimalist, space efficient, reminds me of Matchbox cars etc. 

But also I think comparisons of this type can be unhelpful, each manufacturer naturally wants their own style of presentation, and Accurascale does ooze premium presentation. 🙂

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I only have a small layout, I like to retain the packaging so that I can pack the wagons away neatly in their original wrapping after each time they have been taken out of their boxes for a run on the track.  However these Accurascale boxes do take up a lot of space and I would be happy to see the size reduced.   A whole shelf needed to house only 53 wagons.  

52430814367_e444808c10_6k.jpg

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst this has several downsides, it's a space efficient way to store 12 PFAs 😬

Downsides are risk of damage to wagons, and it's still a faff putting them in/out as they have to be tightly packed so they don't rattle around.

I didn't find a perfect solution yet.  Warley Stock Boxes are good, but not efficient for some wagon sizes, and they're not cheap.  Everything else is even less 'not cheap'. 🤑

Accurascale box shown in second photo just for scale.

C53BE660-48B1-4AA4-B899-310FA3B5A046_1_102_o.jpeg.f6c9286effe935922d8d3d9a3b8698e4.jpeg480DEF1C-49E3-4F35-8574-670A1135970B_1_102_o.jpeg.615b663216abd261e2260fe755dd5614.jpeg

• Like 3

OK, is this just for effect, one-upmanship, and to appear there's more thought put into the packaging, or is it really necessary?

I've had hundreds of locomotives and coaches received over the last 5 years' time, and perhaps 3 have been received damaged - one, a Hornby Castle was obviously poorly inserted / placed in the ice cube to start with, the other 2 were received damaged, the other perhaps 500 boxes from various manufacturers' origins, were near perfect.

The only consistent marks I've seen were through 'near new used' items no longer having the poly film to prevent marks on the paintwork.

Bottom line, is it really necessary to send a 280mm long 800g locomotive in a box you'd normally get a pair of trainers in?

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Bottom line, is it really necessary to send a 280mm long 800g locomotive in a box you'd normally get a pair of trainers in?

Well, as it forms a core part of our corporate approach to modelling, and the way we want to portray our brands, then yes, absolutely.

Edited by Islesy
Plural, the approach is the same for IRM
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Well, as it forms a core part of our corporate approach to modelling, and the way we want to portray our brands, then yes, absolutely.

The point I was making, was I'm not convinced there's a need for so much extra 'cushioning'.  Some 'intelligent economising' of packaging is required I reckon.  Maintain the integrity with 50% of the volume.  All original Bachmann boxes - pre 'ice-cube' seem fine - and you'll get 5 or 6 of them in one Deltic box.

OK, slight exaggeration, but I think we're all being a bit wasteful and not 'thinking of the planet' here!

Al.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Oops, this wasn't intended to start some ding- that p***ses on people's Sunday evenings 🙂

Nice cup of tea anyone? 😛

A chilled cider should sort stuff out nicely....in my case anyway...

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Islesy said:

Your view, and an opinion you are entitled to. We, on the other hand, disagree.

All materials used are recyclable, if that a concern for you.

The main point is when not in use, I like to replace locomotives into their boxes - having boxes this big can quickly become quite a considerable problem - certainly would be for me, and I'd be surprised if I'm the only one.

I would never wish to discard locomotive boxes. 

Most 'premium' coaching stock boxes I keep as well ... 

Only some 'lower grade' and smaller wagon boxes I would discard.

Like you say - my opinion.  Thanks,

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, atom3624 said:

The main point is when not in use, I like to replace locomotives into their boxes - having boxes this big can quickly become quite a considerable problem - certainly would be for me, and I'd be surprised if I'm the only one.

I would never wish to discard locomotive boxes. 

Most 'premium' coaching stock boxes I keep as well ... 

Only some 'lower grade' and smaller wagon boxes I would discard.

Like you say - my opinion.  Thanks,

Al.

Hi Al,

Simply put it is necessary. With the higher level of detail, and the ever diminishing care taking by some parcel carriers as distribution moves ever more to sales online compared to local model ships, weight etc, it is essential to have a box of this nature to protect the contents. We have done extensive drop testing etc and this is what we ended up with.

All 100% recyclable if you do not wish to keep it. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

At the end of the day, as stated the Accurascale packaging fulfils it primarily function - to protect models (The JSA (bits in the box) and PTAs (plastic cracked - perhaps for the weight of 5 wagons the plastic needs to be thicker, or split 2&3 with a little foam between) being the notable exception. 

If you actually look beyond the box being large, and actually assess the packaging within, the actual volume of plastic material of 1 A/S 3 pack is probably is like to be much less than 3 Bachmann wagons ice-cube boxes!   

Now for the real horror story - like most things in life your green credentials are probably the worst for the environment..... Firstly, for the person who keeps the packaging, it cannot get into the oceans, whilst can you guarantee that your packaging doesn't? Either falls out during transportation, dust in processing or even shipped to another country for processing with a lack of environmental controls? Nope!  Then if course there is the model itself - if yours become damaged they are more likely to be disguarded earlier than a pack of models kept in there box when not in use, with better models being capable of being sold on more times and thus recycled. 

Cardboard is thick and recyclable. Could even be used as a stable base for buildings? 

Only place it falls down a little is in the transport, shipping some fresh air, but then again with the likes of heavy Deltics, more weight and less packaging could produce more damage, resulting in returns etc.. Less weight = less fuel etc.. Then again, we don't all know how all other models are shipped and other consumer products - which I expect could be equally or more damaging! One company has been known to have its locomotives wrapped separately in bubble wrap that's taped and has to be ripped off - plastic packaging that's guaranteed pretty much to end up in the bin! Likewise there's an environmentally friendly form of transport which has lots of long distance empty stock moves everyday using lots of diesel and electric (one move alone is 600+ gallons of diesel 6 days a week) ! 

Not being critical, but unfortunately what seems like wastage on face value, sometimes isn't as bad as it seems. 

There is probably more environmental damage caused by flights to and from Ireland, than the rest of Accurascales operations!  Looks like McC may be investing in a Accurascale Dingle! McC captain, with Fran and Patrick rowing! Better get started for Warley boys.... Then of course people would be complaining that no one was answering RMWeb messages and fingers crossed that the Irish Sea was kind to you!   

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

There is probably more environmental damage caused by flights to and from Ireland, than the rest of Accurascales operations!  Looks like McC may be investing in a Accurascale Dingle! McC captain, with Fran and Patrick rowing! Better get started for Warley boys.... Then of course people would be complaining that no one was answering RMWeb messages and fingers crossed that the Irish Sea was kind to you!   

This is a very valid point @Torbay Express, and with increasing our UK based team over the past 12/18 months we have cut down significantly on the flights and pollution that way. Our first year of Accurascale operations I did 16 trips! This year we have it down to 5, including the impending Warley hop. So we're working on it, little by little! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2