RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Gilloverland said:

I hope this is a move Heljan come to regret; they would have been better focusing on something Hornby is not - TT120 Garrett anybody?

I doubt it.  TT120 may well establish itself as a UK scale, but those predicting the demise of everything else are being extemely premature.  There are plenty more sales in the scales Heljan already sell to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

I might have missed it in the previous 30 odd pages but has anyone any thought as to the lack of Southern region locos or stock mentioned in any of the initial phases of launch? 

I’d of thought a WC/BoB, coaches and something like a Brighton Belle set might have fitted the range nicely. Perhaps they’ll come at a later date should demand keep the range going (which I personally hope it does). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

From Heljan's FB page...

Heljan TT:120 Update

There’s been a lot of focus on TT 1:120 scale this week, and we’ve obviously been paying close attention to developments. We were gratified to see that our initial trio of locomotive choices for TT was so ‘on the money’ that all three also appeared in the Hornby range. C’est la vie, or Sådan er livet as we say in Danish.

Such duplication in a new and, so far, unknown market produces no winners, only losers. We were genuinely excited about the possibilities of this new scale but, in the circumstances, and with a heavy heart, we are ceasing development of our TT 1:120 model range. Instead we’ll focus all our energies on developing more exciting new OO and O gauge products (more on those soon!) and on supporting the crucial network of UK model railway retailers, who continue to be the backbone of the hobby and an essential resource for the modelling community.

We wish Hornby every success with their new venture and look forward to seeing how it develops.

TT:FN

Team Heljan

The message there is so subtle, it must only be Danish.

seeing how it is, I really don't blame them for leaving Hornby to it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 10/10/2022 at 15:26, Il Grifone said:

Not at all; it's a different scale (2.5 mm/ft against 3mm).

Perhaps I didn't look  hard enough, but I could  find no reference to gauge (12mm?) or wheel/track standards. I did see that they still don't understand how Walschaerts valve gear works.

Have only just seen this news from Hornby... Wow!  but I also could not find any info on the gauge. 

Edited by philsandy

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Instead we’ll focus all our energies on ..........supporting the crucial network of UK model railway retailers, who continue to be the backbone of the hobby and an essential resource for the modelling community.

Not that subtle....... 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Gilloverland said:

Hopefully we'll get more announcements at the likes of Warley?

I would hope we'll get to see the real things as it's close to Christmas which is where they are aiming their "set" sales at.

25 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Can you quantify “most” who you are speaking for ?
1000, 6000, 20,000, or a few to a dozen ?

Nope, same as you couldn't say how many of the more obscure models will have followers, but for the initial launch the locos supplied look a sensible selection to enable the scale to get off the ground. Phase 2 takes it a bit further, as to the next phases. It's unlikely that any manufacturer would set out right at the beginning to completely duplicate the existing range of locos in another scale, if Hornby had done I feel the criticism they have received from many people would have been justified, as it is they've done the sensible thing.

15 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Although, I think the actual timing of phases 3 and 4 will be very much decided by how quickly phases 1 and 2 sell through. 

However, unfulfilled supply of a completely new scale is likely to lead to customers thinking it'll be a habit and binning the idea at the get-go.

First bit I'd agree with, the second is pure speculation, we simply don't know what the future holds.

12 minutes ago, RateTheFreight said:

I might have missed it in the previous 30 odd pages but has anyone any thought as to the lack of Southern region locos or stock mentioned in any of the initial phases of launch? 

Someone mentioned it, I think there's some in phase 4.

8 minutes ago, philsandy said:

Pleeeese don't tell me it is 12mm?

Why on earth wouldn't it be 12mm gauge? 

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

how come that little 0-4-0 isnt the launch model in TT ? … it surely is afterall Hornbys best selling model ?

For the 0-4-0T, a question needs to be asked.  The points appear to be a relatively large radius (631mm), so what is the length of the dead section at the frog?  In 00, the Peckett 0-4-0ST cannot run reliably over curved and express points.  In TT120, a large 0-4-0T to scale (eg LMS Stanier /Kitson 47xxx) would have a 19.05mm wheelbase.  If the dead section of the points is greater than this figure, the loco would not run reliably through any of its points or diamond crossings.   

Edited by Tiptonian
mis-calculation of wheelbase.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

but those predicting the demise of everything else are being extemely premature.

Who are they, I must have missed those posts?! (BTW I agree with you, just interested!)

1 minute ago, philsandy said:

I have misunderstood this. I incorrectly assumed that this Hornby launch of TT was 3mm/ft. 

No problem, then I'd have agreed wholeheartedly with you, but they've gone with the rest of the world!

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, philsandy said:

I have misunderstood this. I incorrectly assumed that this Hornby launch of TT was 3mm/ft. 

Something for Hornby to consider in their upcoming marketing campaign.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nile said:

No SR listed in the catalogue, even in phases 3,4 and beyond.

From the website, give them chance, they haven't even listed all the Phase 3 and 4 locos yet!

"While we cannot share details of forthcoming products, Hornby TT:120 is here to stay and we have at least 5 years of products either being developed or planned."

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

From Heljan's FB page...

Heljan TT:120 Update

There’s been a lot of focus on TT 1:120 scale this week, and we’ve obviously been paying close attention to developments. We were gratified to see that our initial trio of locomotive choices for TT was so ‘on the money’ that all three also appeared in the Hornby range. C’est la vie, or Sådan er livet as we say in Danish.

Such duplication in a new and, so far, unknown market produces no winners, only losers. We were genuinely excited about the possibilities of this new scale but, in the circumstances, and with a heavy heart, we are ceasing development of our TT 1:120 model range. Instead we’ll focus all our energies on developing more exciting new OO and O gauge products (more on those soon!) and on supporting the crucial network of UK model railway retailers, who continue to be the backbone of the hobby and an essential resource for the modelling community.

We wish Hornby every success with their new venture and look forward to seeing how it develops.

TT:FN

Team Heljan

I see Rails has republished it.

I wonder how many retailers will send that in their mail-shots this week.

After-all they owe nothing to Hornby on this.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Hobby said:

From the website, give them chance, they haven't even listed all the Phase 3 and 4 locos yet!

"While we cannot share details of forthcoming products, Hornby TT:120 is here to stay and we have at least 5 years of products either being developed or planned."

But realistically, all the stuff we waited a lifetime for OO models of will (at best) take another lifetime to turn up in TT:120. Adams Radial, anyone?

Another lifetime is something none of us have. Unless you are under 20, with a loco fetish that matches Hornby's, I'd recommend sticking with OO.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Yes but the glossy brochure lists the aspirations of phases 3 and 4, if they materialise.

I note aside of trainsets, there isn't dates published for phase 1 and 2.. and lets not forget the OO 78xxx is still not here yet either.

it might be a new market, but its coming from the same old world.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I should think that we will get some SR models as Tri-ang made a model of an airsmoothed Clan Line in Tri-ang's TT range and Margate is in SR territory. I hope they make a class 33 diesel as well.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Unless you are under 20, ..

even in your 20’s..

And thats exactly where imo Hornby missed the boat and jumped into the water feet first wearing the same old clothes.

Edited by adb968008

51 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But realistically, all the stuff we waited a lifetime for OO models of will (at best) take another lifetime to turn up in TT:120. Adams Radial, anyone?

Another lifetime is something none of us have. Unless you are under 20, with a loco fetish that matches Hornby's, I'd recommend sticking with OO.

John

I am 20 but not with the same proclivities for motive power. I am at a turning point developing a new loft layout and I am seriously considering TT with the new support. But track is one thing, locos are another. Rolling stock I can build and print just fine but locos need a donor chassis.

I feel the early stage of the 1:120 lineup could easily befall what befell Dublo and they never made a proper small loco (the R1) until near the end. If there was say a Fowler 4F or a J39 in this range to begin with I would genuinely switch over as it would provide an ideal donor chassis to begin working from to make a Victorian and pre grouping style 0-6-0, so far all we have is a vague promise of a 57xx and that 's it.

All being said I will put in a pre order for an 08 as I am interested in the applications of the chassis in OO12/OOn3 (Donegal tank anyone?) But yes not much that appeals to me unless I want to turn 08s into a fleet of Kirtley goods locos.

Edited by Player of trains
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

No patience these days... Even if they produced everything at once I couldn't afford it all! I got by with a limited selection when i started out, and over the years in my narrow gauge modelling, so I'm sure i can cope with it! I feel sad for those of you who can't and use it as an excuse, though! ;)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I am not 20, and as your advice is offered freely, I'm going to freely ignore it 🙂

"rmweb members, proudly gatekeeping other people's entertainment since 2007" 🙂

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 8