Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

that was like sitting through a nightmare! what on earth was the agency (assuming they used one) thinking??? Everything you've ever heard/read/dreamed about subliminal messaging and playing records backwards merged with the Ludovico Technique from A Clockwork Orange

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Didn't bother with the video, went straight to the product page on Hornby's site

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/hornbytt120/hornbytt120-range?encoded=Tc5BC4IwFAfwr-LJm9BEog4jKKRDh4SMDiLjOZeO1iZvW-i3T4psx__vvf_j7RTorgDX096gbqbEP-K7VE6grY7gO1HTJT-lZgNKPtvqjzD-MCXrhW-isdKJKB-58la-wjsFiuSMrcDA9gi6DfKFgwo711OUI4TPzPvgDE7sK6yZ6mpA03ruGDdKCe6k0TUty-iwxHiATjDZUpKSLNvG1qCbm3TzGVDyBg

That is a hell of a lot of stuff, hundreds of new tooling.  Where on Earth have they found the factory capacity to make all this?

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

I note that despite having pretty much the entirety of the British railway landscape to choose from, Hornby have chosen to duplicate every item of stock announced by other manufacturers.

Also:

Only available at: www.Hornby.com/HornbyTT120

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow, Hornby have certainly jumped into this with both feet. Having a short peruse of the website I see:

Engines

LNER A1/A3

LNER A4

LMS Princess Coronation

Class 08

Class 50

Class 66

Class 43 HST

Coaches

LMS 57ft stock

Mk1 

Mk2

Mk3

A tremendous range, they certainly have committed. Now to see if the general public will also commit, or if this will be a very expensive mistake for Hornby.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, nightstar.train said:

Wow, Hornby have certainly jumped into this with both feet. Having a short peruse of the website I see:

Engines

LNER A1/A3

LNER A4

LMS Princess Coronation

Class 08

Class 50

Class 66

Class 43 HST

Coaches

LMS 57ft stock

Mk1 

Mk2

Mk3

A tremendous range, they certainly have committed. Now to see if the general public will also commit, or if this will be a very expensive mistake for Hornby.

They have gone very much in the spirit of old TT - trains running around in circles so a big focus on big engines and  passenger trains.  The freight is interesting as nothing here (yet) to pull it, so tank engines probably somewhere in the future.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

I note that despite having pretty much the entirety of the British railway landscape to choose from, Hornby have chosen to duplicate every item of stock announced by other manufacturers.

Also:

Most of it is a duplicate of what Hornby themselves make. Makes sense when they have all the research for those items. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

1 minute ago, TomE said:

My overarching question is, why.... Why waste time, effort, and more importantly in Hornby's case, money, on a scale that has almost zero industry support (even with other recent announcements it's still practically nothing relatively speaking) Why not invest in a scale that already has a user base, i.e. N Gauge, where people will be able to buy models and run them on existing layouts with existing stock. 

Hornby have clearly decided TT is going to be the alter on which they sacrifice themselves. It all seems pretty bonkers to me.

Tom. 

Can't compete in OO, you can only retool big locos so many times, N too small for a big entry, this is prime for Hornby and for once I agree there is heritage for the company.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Nothing Southern Region !  Very disappointing.

I will leave any sensible comment until I see how the smaller tank engines work on the track.

SK made such a thing of small layouts, even along window sills (!) means that tank engines will be important.

Good luck to Hornby, but I will wait.

P.S.  SK seems to think that Hornby will run out of new OO subjects in the next 7 years, or so !   I have lots of suggestions just from the Southern.   Sad to see such an attitude.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Can't compete in OO, you can only retool big locos so many times, N too small for a big entry, this is prime for Hornby and for once I agree there is heritage for the company.

It was interesting that at the start of that video Simon basically admitted this, 'we're still making the same models, just with more bells and whistles'.

Not sure how that will chime with him telling every to buy another 5 versions of the Flying Scotsman they are undoubtedly going to release in the next year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Don't disagree on the heritage aspect, but sometimes heritage is best left where it belongs.....

Tom. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3