Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Jon Harbour said:

Nothing like being made welcome... is there? 😉

54 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

You have your own importer - who is distributing to hobby shops in Australia!

Hornby have stated that their Australian distributer will be making their own announcement when appropriate.

Hey! Page 99!!!

Edited by Hroth
Page count...
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I wasn't happy with the stack of one of the 08s, so spent some time last night re-doing it. Much better result.

)8 back.jpg

And I really want one...

Me too, it looks terrific. The only problem is that none of the examples in the current production stream are the right colour, or BR logo, and there's also too much yellow. 🤪

Other than that...

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I wasn't happy with the stack of one of the 08s, so spent some time last night re-doing it. Much better result.

)8 back.jpg

And I really want one...

Looks good.  Think I will put in an order for one😀

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

I'm not sure it's worth it, they've said they've been taken by surprise by the numbers and there'll be a delay, so sending an email just means someone else has to spend time replying! From what I've seen the main bit in the pack is a catalogue which is available online anyhow. The magazine is due to be sent separately by the publishers so they'll have no control over that. I'll give it another week or so I think! ;)

Update: Arrived today (I joined on the 10/10 like many others!)...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, gc4946 said:

I'm awaiting delivery of a Tillig starter set with an oval circuit of ballasted track from Modelbahnshop Lippe in Germany.

It appears they use similar rail joiners to Kato's Unitrack because in N I know they're robust and allow quick assembly and dismantling see this link 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/73329/tillig_1833_track_extension_a_passing_loop_pre_ballasted_roadbed_/stockdetail

If things go to plan I may reduce my N and OO collections too. 

I would also go modular too based on Tillig's track geometry.

It’s a shame the Tillig uses big dead frogs on the points, are there any with live frogs?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, joe cassidy said:

Has anyone overseas received their joining pack ?

I haven't yet, but for all I know it might be across the street from me, Canada Post are horrible, I've had them take 12 days from postmarking to bring me a letter from literally 2 miles away, or had a package they tried to deliver in Montreal...

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, joe cassidy said:

Has anyone overseas received their joining pack ?

Still awaiting mine,  maybe delayed in post with therecent Royal Mail strikes and then An Post in Dublin can soometiems be a bit slow sorting mail from UK now!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

)8 back.jpg

And I really want one...

That does look very nice, but I still have a problem with the size of the coupling, really dominates the area.

But not the end of the world, unless of course those couplings (has anyone identified them as other proprietary couplings or a new item from Hornby?) can be “pre-uncoupled” for push shunting, that would be worth having them.

Just now, boxbrownie said:

That does look very nice, but I still have a problem with the size of the coupling, really dominates the area.

But not the end of the world, unless of course those couplings (has anyone identified them as other proprietary couplings or a new item from Hornby?) can be “pre-uncoupled” for push shunting, that would be worth having them.

They are couplings as used by Tillig:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

Looking at the Arnold TT:120 Kof I have sat here (which is tiny), the couplings don't dominate in real life like they do in the photos.  They are visible though.

I believe they can be replaced with Kadees or Hunt magnetic couplings, which would be less obtrusive.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, andythenorth said:

I believe they can be replaced with Kadees or Hunt magnetic couplings, which would be less obtrusive.

I don't think Kadee or MicroTrains make any to fit in a NEM pocket. Dapol do, though, and those mate up with MT couplers.

MicroTrains N scale couplers are my choice for NorAm TT stock as the knuckles work out to almost scale size for 1:120, though a lot of people use Kadee HOn3 couplers on their NorAm stock, but it's a little bigger. They do couple up together just fine.

• Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

There's a lot of dangling buffer beam detail around the coupling, which appears to merge and possibly make things look denser that they would be viewed from normal distances and not in photographic closeup!

I can see why Hornby went with the coupling system, what if they had also designed a "miniaturised" tension lock coupling as used in their OO offerings?

Edited by Hroth
Extra...
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Looking at the Arnold TT:120 Kof I have sat here (which is tiny), the couplings don't dominate in real life like they do in the photos.  They are visible though.

I'd agree with that, I was expecting them to look terrible in real life but they aren't too bad. I don't know why they look so bad in photos, though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I'd agree with that, I was expecting them to look terrible in real life but they aren't too bad. I don't know why they look so bad in photos, though.

Possibly because the wide angle lens and 3/4 view makes them look bigger.

08s 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Hobby said:

As you say in real life they dont look too bad, much better then the 00 tension lock, in my view.  I think what makes them look bad and stand out in the photos is them being black, which the camera picks up. However once on the layout and any weathering carried out then they wont stand out as much then.

Looking foward to getting an 08.

• Like 6

RE: Hornby TT:120 Club,

I have just had this reply from Hornby about the TT:120 club;

"Hi John

Thank you for your email.

Due to the large demand for this club, it may take up to 60 days for your pack to arrive.

Kind Regards,

Joanne Grant
Customer Service Advisor"

Regards,  John

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I can see why Hornby went with the coupling system

Well I mean it *is* basically the standard coupling in 1:120; the only other plausible option would've been the old BTTB coupling that only Piko use on their models anymore... Roco use the Fleischmann N coupler for reasons that are beyond me, but everyone else use the Tillig coupler. And they already use it on their Arnold branded products, why would they use something else here?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Just a bit better than this old Tri-and TT3 diesel shunter

image.png.fe664c3e9f68f36cb8bbefdf39add3e8.png

All the rage in it's day !!

Brit15

Heavily compromised, but gives away nothing to recent models in the fineness of its moulding - look at the louvres on the vacuum exhauster cabinet.  Tri-ang toolmakers knew their stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4