RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, frobisher said:

What might be nice if Hornby could evolve these points down the line to a self-contained unifrog like design (i.e. the live frog is switched by point itself, lose the self isolating behaviour and have yourself a DCC ready point with less plastic in the mix).

The problem with a unifrog, non self isolating point is that train set users would have problems with it, with confusion and disillusionment all round.  Perhaps they could have an "Expert" track range with such features, although the Peco track would be a direct competitor.  Until TT120 gets well established, it would be wise for Hornby to stick to its "train set" track.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

What are peoples thoughts on the points in the train sets compared to 00 points?

What I mean is that from some review videos using 2 x tt120 points (are they mediums?)  Where a typical crossover is formed ive noticed that coaching stock ie the Mk1s flow through from one track to the next far nicer than we see in 00 in respect of minimal sideways sway meaning the corridor connections of gangwayed stock remain pretty much in line whereas in 00 the induced sway would if it happened in real life would have people falling out of the gangways!   I think this is such an inportant visual aspect on a model railway.

Is the geometry better or is it down to a wider more to scale gauge and the back to back giving less coach sway??

In TT the movement looks far more realistic than even large radius peco poi ts do in 00 imho....cant figure out why......is it better couplings?

Testing them with a variety of stock from Tillig, Piko, Roco, Arnold and Hornby they seem pretty bombproof.  Apart from having to lift the silver contact strip on a couple gently with a small screwdriver to improve the contact I've found it very difficult to persuade anything to stall on them, even the Tillig class 86 2-8-2T which has slightly dubious pickups runs through steadily.  And so far I've had NO derailments other than self-inflicted ones (shunting across a point set against the stock), and nothing bounces as it passes over them- a big improvement over any N-gauge point I've used.

I'm happier with them than with the Peco points at the moment, having had two of the latter fall to bits almost straight out of the box.  I'm waiting for a reply from Peco- they should receive them tomorrow (Tues) morning.

Les

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

The problem with a unifrog, non self isolating point is that train set users would have problems with it, with confusion and disillusionment all round.  Perhaps they could have an "Expert" track range with such features, although the Peco track would be a direct competitor.  Until TT120 gets well established, it would be wise for Hornby to stick to its "train set" track.

Bachmann actually do non-isolating (not unifrog though) set track points in their UK 00 track range as well as the familiar self isolating ones.  I'd hope for a similar approach.  Quite a lot of continental set track isn't self isolating in N and H0... If you're doing DCC train sets you're going to need to look at some solution beyond the DCC clips I'd have thought.

18 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Bachmann actually do non-isolating (not unifrog though) set track points in their UK 00 track range as well as the familiar self isolating ones.  I'd hope for a similar approach.  Quite a lot of continental set track isn't self isolating in N and H0... If you're doing DCC train sets you're going to need to look at some solution beyond the DCC clips I'd have thought.

I've got a Bachmann non-isolating point which came in their "Digital Freight Set" (30-045), and still lives there!  The isolating/non-isolating doesn't really matter as a DCC layout should have power feeds all over the place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've got a Bachmann non-isolating point which came in their "Digital Freight Set" (30-045), and still lives there!  The isolating/non-isolating doesn't really matter as a DCC layout should have power feeds all over the place.

There are plenty of steps along the way towards best practices, and every little bit helps, just saying.

• RMweb Gold

The Tillig "bedding" track (Kato-style) points are dead-frog and non-isolating. Like some other European points (e.g. Fleischmann) they are only weakly sprung so you can pass through wrongly-set points in the trailing direction.

The other Tillig points are non-latching and have a Unifrog-like arrangement. They require either an additional hand lever or a motor which is capable of holding the points in place. 

• Informative/Useful 1

The weather being reasonable early this afternoon, I set up two tables on the sundeck.

I set up the display I am planning on taking to the Nanaimo show on April 2nd.

The inner loop is train set curves and the outer R4.

I ran both my train sets. Both ran well. They got a good run in forwards and reverse. No issues. Short videos are on Youtube.

Both locomotives had DCC decoders, one a basic ESU and the other a SoundTraxx US Steam. Both will be replaced with SoundTraxx UK Steam decoders when adapters I have ordered arrive. When the Hornby BlueTooth decoders are available, I will try those.

The display needs to be a bit longer. The station needs a platform. Setting up the track loose like this is not ideal so I think I will have to make a lightweight baseboard.

I didn't have anything that would plug into the Hornby power tracks so I cut the cords of of the two Hornby power packs that came with the train sets (leaving enough length in case I ever want to reconnect them)  and used them to connect to my Digitrax Zephyr.

Things ran well until after 4 PM when the sun went behind clouds, the rain started and a cold wind started blowing. It went from cool shirt sleeve weather to F'n cold.

Did a fast clean up and went inside to the warm

It was a good day. My trains ran well. I am Happy.

20230221_152856.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Dix120 said:

The weather being reasonable early this afternoon, I set up two tables on the sundeck.

I set up the display I am planning on taking to the Nanaimo show on April 2nd.

The inner loop is train set curves and the outer R4.

I ran both my train sets. Both ran well. They got a good run in forwards and reverse. No issues. Short videos are on Youtube.

Both locomotives had DCC decoders, one a basic ESU and the other a SoundTraxx US Steam. Both will be replaced with SoundTraxx UK Steam decoders when adapters I have ordered arrive. When the Hornby BlueTooth decoders are available, I will try those.

The display needs to be a bit longer. The station needs a platform. Setting up the track loose like this is not ideal so I think I will have to make a lightweight baseboard.

I didn't have anything that would plug into the Hornby power tracks so I cut the cords of of the two Hornby power packs that came with the train sets (leaving enough length in case I ever want to reconnect them)  and used them to connect to my Digitrax Zephyr.

Things ran well until after 4 PM when the sun went behind clouds, the rain started and a cold wind started blowing. It went from cool shirt sleeve weather to F'n cold.

Did a fast clean up and went inside to the warm

It was a good day. My trains ran well. I am Happy.

20230221_152856.jpg

Looks nice - you track layout is much the same as mine with R3 and R4 curves, except my Scotsman looks a little lonely running around by itself.

I've seen reports (Simon's Shed on YouTube, maybe others) that the Hornby analogue powers connectors can cause slow-speed running problems with DCC because they contain a capacitor or some other piece of electrickery that can interfere with the DCC signal. I can't remember if he mentioned which decoder he was using and it may be that not all decoders are affected in this way. A Digital Power Connecting Track is available (TT8029) but if you're going to use baseboards in the future then I imagine you will be soldering directly to the rails anyway.

I'm only running analogue at the moment (I'm also awaiting the Hornby DCC chips) and I only have a single controller and power connector for the two loops but I've found that the DCC Track Turnout Clips (TT8035) work fine for a temporary tabletop setup with one loco rather than using two power connectors.

Enjoy your show!

Edited by Porfuera

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porfuera said:

Hornby analogue powers connectors can cause slow-speed running problems with DCC

Which is why they sell two types of power-track, one for DCC one for DC...

If you are running DCC you can nip the capacitor out with no I'll effects, however when sold for DC use the capacitor is regulatory to stop "radio interference"; in effect the same capability is built into your DCC Decoder.

The capacitor in the DC power track is there to try and reduce RFI from sparks at the rail-wheel interface. The loco should have something similar wired to the motor to suppress commutator sparking.

Although still a regulatory requirement, it's not so important today as TVs and FM radio aren't affected as much as 405 line* TVs and medium/longwave radios were. If the user wants to switch between DC and DCC then it's ok to snip the capacitor out if the DCC track isn't available. It won't affect running under DC.

* Even 625 line TVs were less affected as interference showed up as less noticeable black spots, rather than the blizzard of white spots that 405 lines displayed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, natterjack said:

Bill Dixon provides an impressive demonstration of Hornby TT120 sure -footedness and pushing power

I'd seen that somewhere (Facebook maybe...?) and I was thinking that the Tillig double slip was as interesting and thought-provoking as the running demo - no locking springs, though, hence the Blu Tack...

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, natterjack said:

Bill Dixon provides an impressive demonstration of Hornby TT120 sure -footedness and pushing power;

Bodes well for the forthcoming HST models, especially in reverse with prototypical formations!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, natterjack said:

For exposition it is worth bearing in mind YouTube is relatively free access while many (eg me) are reluctant to join in the melee that is FB.

Oh dear! I wish I hadn't mentioned FB...! My point was more about the Tillig double slip... 😏 although they are a bit pricey in comparison to the Hornby track (and I know they're not available from Hornby, but still).

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, leonk said:

As has been noted since October.

Thanks.

It's inevitable -- and useful -- for information to be repeated.

There are two hundred odd pages, and thousands of posts on this thread, so you can't expect people to remember everything that's been announced. 

Assume it takes 10 seconds to read a page.

There are 203 pages.

203*10 = 2030 seconds = approx 38 minutes to read the topic from the beginning.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

The Settle & Carlisle Dent Station model needs a platform to raise the model up to the same height as the platforms. The height is easy but how wide should the platform be around the station? Also should the platform edges around the station be stone lined like the platforms?