Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

4 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

There is a rumor in german Forums that Hornby got in touch with all bigger Retailer in Germany which sell their Arnold TT-Range to offer them to put the Hornby TT:120 Range into their portfolio.

That would certainly be logical. 

12 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Is this genuine?, 

Looking up their website they certainly stock the stuff. You'll have to go and ask them if they'll export outside Germany, though I can't see any reason why not. Have you checked and asked them? I wouldn't have thought that Hornby would bother too much about telling anyone as they are still in their "direct sales" mode at the moment. Though as I said earlier it would seem that if you can still get the Club Discount and free post it'll still be cheaper going to Hornby direct.

11 hours ago, leonk said:

The funny part is, the Aussie prices are in line with what we normally pay for Australian models!

That's why I crack up every time Sam goes on and on about value, you guys don't know how good you've got it!

That's bonkers.

But it is an interesting circle, since in North America a lot of modellers look at European prices with the same sort of amazement as everyone on this forum is presently looking at those Australian prices.

Makes me wonder what Japanese modellers with their $100 Kato steam locomotives think of our prices...

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, irishmail said:

Just been looking at Modelbahn shop Lippe.   Good new is they will be selling Hornby TT:120, not much listed at the moment but its a positive start.   € prices seem reasonable too.

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Manufacturer/Products/gb/overview.html?hersteller=Hornby

No real savings to the UK buyer though using the discounts on the Hornby site. I have an account with Lippe and the A4 works out at 141 euros delivered according to the checkout cart.

That is below the UK vat limit of £135 GBP so no additional charges would be due. Using today's exchange rate on my CC that works at £125 plus whatever charge your card makes for foreign transactions, so it's going to be around £130 😿

Edited by maico
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 03/03/2023 at 02:41, leonk said:

The funny part is, the Aussie prices are in line with what we normally pay for Australian models!

That's why I crack up every time Sam goes on and on about value, you guys don't know how good you've got it!

Exactly this.  As a British based modeller/collector who was brought up on Austeam 88 related VHS tapes from Scotsman's visits, I see the recent releases of the VR D3 class (alongside Eureka's C38 and VR R classes a decade ago) and think that we are rather lucky over this side of the water!  However, it does also bring sadness that to even get one model of D3 639 in Canadian Red imported here would start looking about £600!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

The next German Shop is in.

Gresley Pacifics and Coaches are ready for pre-order via Modellbahnshop Lippe.

Irish Mail mentioned it on the previous page 12 hours ago! Keep up Stefan!! 🤣

• Like 1

I wonder if Hornby will strike a similar deal with pierredominique.com in France who already stock quite a bit of Hornby? (mostly steamers)

They're a bit of a 'go-to' for French modellers looking for 'rarer' items (they do stock just about everything - from the big domestic/international players down to local artisinal). 

That being said, they don't seem to have the 'greatest' reputation in that they can be a bit slow because they go to just about every swap-meet in France and I get the impression their online stock system isn't always up-to-date, also on the French forums, I've read claims that people have received items that were clearly returns/second-hand without this being stated, etc. I've had them send me wrong items/taking their time replying myself. Could possibly put Hornby off but most major French dealers I know of (I am happy to be corrected!) seem to cater mostly to France/mainland Europe modellers.

There is also star-boutique, but I think they have similar issues as pierredominique and their ranges tend to be rather sparse/on-off at times. 

I've not compared the Hornby prices on pierredominique/Hornby OO direct (with/without membership discount) but I suspect, with the possibility of free shipping from Hornby for 'relatively' cheap purchases and (in the case of TT) those having free Club Membership with 15% discount, they might not be much of a better option except for, say, the purchase of a single coach/wagon. Time will tell, I guess.

That being said I've yet to receive my pre-ordered Easterner and am intrigued to see whether Hornby manage to deliver DDP as claimed or whether French customs will nevertheless ignore any paperwork (assuming it is correctly provided...) and slap on VAT and duties at the time of delivery , tho I have enough faith in Hornby that they would reimburse me should such issues arise. 

(Am I being naive on the latter point?! - never bought from Hornby direct before!)

Edited by Michanglais
  • Like 2

While I'm here and having mentioned it - does anyone have any insider info on when the next batch of The Easterner set is likely to arrive? 

(If it's a while off, I may just order randomly from what's available now and buy a circuit of Tillig ballasted snap-track, which I was going to get in the end anyway if The Easterner passed muster (for me!) It'd work out more expensive but, what the hell, no holidays planned this year!)

I think the advantage of being able to get stuff from Continental dealers will only really be apparent when Hornby runs out of stock of certain items.  I can see it possibly interesting me when I wish to add (say) the fifth J94 of one version, only to find Hornby hasn't any left.

I must email SK to see if we'll be allowed to (explaining the circumstances we might want to).

Les

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2023 at 00:38, maico said:

No real savings to the UK buyer though using the discounts on the Hornby site. I have an account with Lippe and the A4 works out at 141 euros delivered according to the checkout cart.

That is below the UK vat limit of £135 GBP so no additional charges would be due. Using today's exchange rate on my CC that works at £125 plus whatever charge your card makes for foreign transactions, so it's going to be around £130 😿

Great shop MSL, I get all my Viessmann catenary from there.

11 minutes ago, Kaput said:

It does seem a tad strange that you might be able to walk into a real shop in Europe and buy Hornby TT but not be able to in the UK....

The different way that model shops operate in Europe.  These big shops expect to keep the whole range in stock, unlike in the UK where dealers choose which bits they think will sell.

Les

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

It does seem a tad strange that you might be able to walk into a real shop in Europe and buy Hornby TT but not be able to in the UK....

Well, it's pretty obviously because they want an export market but don't have the resources to do direct sales outside the UK. There's no way to square that particular circle other than by doing traditional trade sales outside the UK.

I don't think that direct-only will last in the UK either, to be honest. If the range does take off, then they'll want to capitalise on that by getting it into toy shops and onto Amazon, just like the rest of their stuff.

My hunch is that one of the main reasons for not pushing it out via the retail channels to begin with is that they don't want it cannibalising their OO sales. If a retailer has a fixed budget to spend with Hornby, then taking TT:120 will mean taking less OO. Which isn't what Hornby want. As things stand, retailers still have an incentive to push Hornby OO as much as possible. But that won't survive in the long run if TT:120 does take off, because retailers will want a slice of the TT:120 pie and will be forced to look elsewhere for it. And Hornby won't want their retailers to be more oriented towards their competitors. So, at some stage, they'll have to open it up to the trade channels. It's just a question of when.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

There's another reason which links in to what Les and Mark said, the shops that seem to be selling it already sell TT so it's not a new scale to them, just a British outline version of it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

5 hours ago, Hobby said:

There's another reason which links in to what Les and Mark said, the shops that seem to be selling it already sell TT so it's not a new scale to them, just a British outline version of it.

And I think it's likely that British outline TT:120 has a better export potential than British OO. 

I'm sure there are plenty of customers in Germany, France, etc who fall into the "train set" or "collector" categories, just as there are in the UK. That is, people who just buy what they enjoy running or displaying, without any particular preference for location, era, etc - the sort of person who might have a YouTube channel called Werners Züge or Les Trains de Pascal, say. But if they model/collect in HO, they might not be all that interested in mixing and matching it with British OO, not least because it won't couple up to European HO and will, in any case, just look wrong. But British TT:120 is perfectly compatible with European TT:120, both technically and visually.

So someone with a big loft roundy-roundy on which they already run trains from Germany, France, Switzerland and elsewhere - just because they buy what they like and like what they buy - may well be inclined to add a few trains from Britain when they're available in the same scale as one they already model. And Hornby have every reason to want to supply that market.

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 7
  • Agree 5