Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

Thinking of traction tyres- as well as Bregenbach im Schwarzwald being almost entirely run by traction tyres Croft Spa had a huge number- 17 A3s, 14 A4s, 6 each of A1 and A2,  9 B1s, 4 WDs, 6 J39s and so on...

Again not a single tyre shed in 19 shows with this layout and 20 with Hawthorn Dene before- the two had much the same fleet.  My locos all used to run an actual mile (1760 real yards) in the course of a 2-day show, and regular performers knocked up very high mileages.  If a loco started to get a little lumpy it was a sign that the tyre was ageing and the loco probably had about 25 to 30 miles under its wheels (a lot for N gauge).  That meant time to send off to DCC Supplies (usually) for a strip down and full service.

The trick with traction tyres is not to let locos run fast into a dead section, and not to drag them forwards by hand, both bad practices I see to often on other layouts at shows, and which I grot at my operators about if I catch any of them doing it.

Les

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 15/03/2023 at 22:36, Les1952 said:

I'm currently disposing of significant quantities of N and OO gauge stuff, and Hornby are providing me with a steady supply of boxes to ship it in.....🙂

Les

I already sold off the last of my OO items when I went to the Train & Toy Fair at Crewe HC, last weekend. Also when it comes the layout itself, there'll be no trains running on it until most of everything else is in place. But given the time it may take for future TT models to be released, particularly those in the DE range, I can wait patiently until then.

Now that's how I like to see my coaches coupled!

Running on Tillig 396° curves and on the straight. I've not got any points to test them with - these are TJ Modèles 5mm coupling heads, I suspect pointwork may require 5.25s/5.5s/5.75s or higher (yes, he makes them in very small increments to get the absolute closest coupling possible!). 

Not having a loco, I pushed (slowly and quickly) and pulled (slowly and as quickly as possible - not easy to do and keep the coaches on the rails!). No rubbing (and no scraping). The kinematic couplings worked just as they should do.

My intention for UK TT:120 is mostly display/diorama (powered, short, end-to-end shelf) but I probably will finish off a decent loop even tho I've got my N to run on a loop. I have got a loop of HO but I like to detail both ends of coaches and locos in that scale and don't have any 'units' so tend not to run the HO apart from on a powered, depot-style diorama (just like to set the sound going and do a bit of back-and-forth running). Anyway, that's getting off topic!

These couplers are no good for shunting, tho I do seem to remember talk of an electrically powered version that would 'release' as desired but I'm not 100% about that, nor how it would work. I guess it would make them quite a bit more expensive, too - these come in at a very reasonable €1.50 per coupling head.

But if just running trains is your thing, they're the bees knees. Very reliable, pulled or pushed, and with a high force of attraction, I can easily form 12-coach+ trains in N (with the coaches being heavier and not so free-running as the Hornby Mk1s). I don't foresee any unexpected uncoupling.

I'll be interested to see what length coupler the Mk3s require once available. Also, I don't know if the couplers on the locos will be kinematic or simply 'swing', so greater length coupler heads may be required to prevent buffer lock.

I tend to run fixed rakes with no coupler on the final coach in N but, as you can see, end-on the couplers are very discreet. I've even heard of people painting the magnets in dark nail varnish to get rid of the shine with success. 

SO looking forward to the arrival of the blue 08 (totally inappropriate, I know, but I'm not a steamer). Ideally a BR green Tractor but I'm not holding my breath! If I can get close coupling between coaches and coach end/power car end, my mouth is absolutely watering at the thought of full-length BR Blue/grey and IC HSTs...!

STILL very excited about Hornby's decision to take this leap!

Cheers,

Michael

Pic from side.jpg

View from above.jpg

On the bend.jpg

Pic end.jpg

Pic end II.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this has been picked up, but some Continental retailers now have stocks of Hornby's TT120 range - had an email from one the Czech retailers I've had Czech H0 and TT models from to say they have the UK range in stock. 

https://www.ben-zerba.cz/e-shop/cz/vlaky/tt-1-120/Hornby-tt-120.html

By coincidence, I'll be in Czechia in a week or so, was planning to pop over to the shop, but not for an Gresley pacific! 

Edited by CloggyDog

1 hour ago, britishcolumbian said:

Oh how I'd love a Nez cassé in 1:120... (though I'd be repainting it to Korail...)

I could be tempted, too, but as I've already got quite the collection of Nez cassés in HO & N, there has to be a cut-off point somewhere! :)

For me, TT is going to be UK outline only - a bit of 'pick & mix' - don't care what era, tho I do draw the line at steam (apologies to all kettle fans!).

So far, there doesn't seem to have been much of a reaction on the French forums as regards TT - it's really not a scale that has ever taken off in France and with the current 'renaissance' (if I may) of French N, I don't see there being much interest. Also, the French tend towards modelling SNCF only and don't show too much interest beyond the borders of 'l'Hexagone' (I'm allowed to say that now that I've been living here 20 years!).

But, that being said, don't give up hope totally - between Arnold TT and Jouef, Hornby have some following in France/on the Continent and if they find the scale 'works' in the UK market, they may get tempted...

• Like 3

A scale too far? Part of my collection and how it all fits together...

The central lines are Swiss & French N (my intention is, once I've moved apartments, to build a diorama of the SNCF and adjacent SBB lines at Genève Cornavin), the line encompassing the N is TT, the coaches on the 'table' are HO Eurofimas - the coach responsible for 'converting' me to Continental).

The fifth N scale line from the top has connectors, so that I can make a running circuit (you may note my love of snap-track - it's just perfect when you haven't got space for a permanent layout). The radius of the N curves is identical to the TT, so I'll never be able to run both N and TT at the same time but I think I can live with that! Currently out of use, there is also a circuit of HO Unitrack that runs round the sofa - all N remains undisturbed even when the HO circuit is in place (thank god, things would get very fiddly otherwise). 

This is all 'just for fun' - I do intend to have separate diorama/shelf layouts in N, TT and HO scales that will be somewhat more 'prototypical', but that's all on hold until I've moved. 

The TT circuit will happily accommodate an 8-car HST 'on the straight', which suits me fine.

Now to order the remainder of the Tillig track to complete the circuit....

Hornby - what have you done to me!!!!!

(Apols for the upside down photo - couldn't work out how to get it the right way round, but you get the picture)

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

• Like 4

For those wanting to add a Kof shunter or even something a bit bigger, the Arnold section of the Hornby website has a promotion on at the moment.  Sign up for their e-newsletter and you get sent a code that gives you 10% off any Arnold products bought there for a month.  As I found out some time ago, if you sign in to the Hornby TT Club first and are registered for points then you get  Hornby points as well, as I found out when I was given 3910 points for buying my sound-fitted 2-10-0...

Les

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Michanglais said:

But, that being said, don't give up hope totally - between Arnold TT and Jouef, Hornby have some following in France/on the Continent and if they find the scale 'works' in the UK market, they may get tempted...

Oh, I'm hopeful - part of why I'm really hoping this works, is that it might then inspire one of the North American manufacturers to do the same over here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, britishcolumbian said:

Oh, I'm hopeful - part of why I'm really hoping this works, is that it might then inspire one of the North American manufacturers to do the same over here.

Or even Hornby ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

Surely you are within “three degrees of influence” of Rapido?

• Like 1

These two little lovelies have just turned up,  courtesy of DPD. Not really my preferred era but I'm not complaining. I've not yet had the chance to run them - I'll be having a go at that shortly.

I'm still awaiting the third 12T tank (Fisons) and a BR Toad E brake van - not sure why they couldn't send them all together even if it meant another couple of days wait but they do have form for doing this.

I don't appear to have been charged postage even though the price of these two is less than the £50 minimum for free postage. In fact, my credit card seems to have been charged four separate times (i.e. once for each wagon/order) rather than a single time for all four.

Finally the packaging is similar to Farish's but much bigger - it dwarfs them and they look a bit lost in the packaging when you first see them. I'm sure a larger wagon would fit in the same box so maybe Hornby are just trying to cut down on the number of different sizes of boxes that they need to have.

Cheers, Neil.

20230318_153622.jpg.b4a4a3d8b259815af341f479b7e686ff.jpg

20230318_153636.jpg.0f7cddb2a32b45b6fd664ab4aae57b55.jpg

• Like 10

I didn't realise how tiny they are until I coupled them up to the loco and the carriages - they almost look like they're the wrong scale.

Here's a short video of them behind Blink Bonny. I put them between the tender and the coaches to give the couplings a bit of a test. Apologies in advance for the camera work!

I'll see if I can clear off the dining room table and get something better. That should also get me some brownie points from the Domestic Authority!

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

I wonder if someone could clarify something for me?

It may have already been posted, but I may have missed it...

On the Hornby website, the sound-fitted HST power car sets are advertised as featuring 'TXS Sound Decoders' - does that mean there'll be sound in both power cars? That would be an absolute clincher for me - memories of standing on Newark Northgate station when the HSTs first started coming into service and the 'double-woosh' of the train as it passed by. 

Not sure the effect will be quite the same in TT given that you'd have to have your head at rail height (and have a decent-length train) to really appreciate the separate sound from the two power cars but... I'd be willing to pay for it! Which is saying something, given that, unless I win the lottery, my living arrangements will only allow for a floor-level roundy-roundy and I'll have to get my head down low with my ageing, creaking bones but I'm prepared to do that!

2 hours ago, Michanglais said:

I wonder if someone could clarify something for me?

It may have already been posted, but I may have missed it...

On the Hornby website, the sound-fitted HST power car sets are advertised as featuring 'TXS Sound Decoders' - does that mean there'll be sound in both power cars? That would be an absolute clincher for me - memories of standing on Newark Northgate station when the HSTs first started coming into service and the 'double-woosh' of the train as it passed by. 

Not sure the effect will be quite the same in TT given that you'd have to have your head at rail height (and have a decent-length train) to really appreciate the separate sound from the two power cars but... I'd be willing to pay for it! Which is saying something, given that, unless I win the lottery, my living arrangements will only allow for a floor-level roundy-roundy and I'll have to get my head down low with my ageing, creaking bones but I'm prepared to do that!

Yes, decoder in the motor and dummy as I understand 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HExpressD said:

Yes, decoder in the motor and dummy as I understand 

There was also a question asked on the Hornby Bluetooth Decoders thread as to whether it is possible to have the two sound decoders out of sync so that they don't make the same sound at the same time - the answer seems to be that you can set a start lag.

The question was asked here and the answer (that you can set a start lag) here.

Edited by Porfuera

On 14/03/2023 at 21:59, D3489gibson said:

Neil, do you happen to have a video showing the sound set? I'm on the fence about getting one to play with, but have seen and heard the P2 on show at MR Scotland, and was pleasantly surprised by the sync of the chuff with the smoke from it... 

Nathan

Hi Nathan - I have at last found a rolling road that was suitable and I've put together a video of my Blink Bonny.

It is 4 minutes 42 seconds long so don't feel obliged to watch it all if you get bored! There are a few random whistles, steam sounds, squeals and so on, plus the "Fireman's Breakfast".

Please note that the sound profile is the (generic?) one supplied with the HM7000-N18TXS chip and is not the sound profile specific to the A1/A3. Also the microphone was only about 20cm from the model so that might make it sound a little more impressive than it does at normal viewing distance and I guess the sound quality may also be better depending on the quality and size of your speakers.

Cheers, Neil.

• Like 5

Just a quick question.

Do we have any idea of the progress on the 08s? 

They seemed to be at quite an advanced stage but I've not seen/heard anything for a while. They seem to be the only diesel that is still displaying delivery for 'Expected Spring 2023' - nearly here! (Spring!).

I'm dying for something to haul my maroon (!) Mk1s!

Cheers,

Michael

15 hours ago, Michanglais said:

Just a quick question.

Do we have any idea of the progress on the 08s? 

Nothing yet, though it's supposed to be around now. After some of the early issues they are QC-ing more things before release (hopefully!), hence the delays...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tillig's double slip does seem to be a very tight radius. 310mm (12.2 inches) equates to 426mm for 16.5 mm so equivalent to a radius a bit less that 17 inch for 00/H0. I found in H0, when trying to "improve" on Minories using Peco slips to shorten the throat, that they were equivalent to their small radius  turnouts which made coaching stock lurch rather than flow.

I also can't help thinking that the smaller the scale the less extreme compression you can get away with visually. Looking back at plans for TT-3 from the 1950s/1960s the general advice seemed to be to not simply reduce every dimension to 3/4 of its 4mm scale equivalent.  Peco seem to have embraced this with their TT "medium" turnout having a nominal 3ft radius so equivalent to a 5ft radius in 00/H0 and closer in equivalent length to their large radius 00/H0 turnouts.