Hornby Dublo 2023 Flying Scotsman.

Black 5 Bear

Flying Scotsman is BACK in the United States! I’m going to leave an email for customer service with more detailed photographs, but right now two issues stand out:

1) The front dummy knuckle is fitted upside down. If I can fit a Kadee to it, I’m willing to overlook the issue.

2) The headlight. The bottom lamp supports were dislodged and the main bracket fitted has been damaged and chipped off, with some residue on the smokebox door. More details to follow.

B52BAD36-6649-428C-B559-38786E94B563.jpeg

• Like 2

Has the 2nd tender had any more upgrades since the last release? Other than rear NEM coupler of course. 

I'm not sure what to expect with the second tender, the side to be mated with the first tender has options for a fixed coupler or tension lock coupling, a separate instruction sheet was included for how to fit either. The decision to make the forward facing buffers are plastic while the rest of the model has sprung metal ones, is puzzling to say the least. As for my headlight woes, the model sheet is for a generic A1/A3, making no mention of the specifics for the USA version. 

For detail shots of the headlight and the locomotive, I've included a Flickr album so you all can see the issues.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141043817@N08/albums/72177720306881824

FSUSA-12.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ToledoRails said:

I'll post photos it tomorrow evening, well late at night UK time. My USA Scotsman is possibly out for delivery tonight or early tomorrow. Still can't believe it got across the pond that fast!

Awesome thank you. Paying for mine this Friday when I get paid so will be another couple of weeks till it arrives in NZ

• RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2023 at 14:34, ToledoRails said:

I'm not sure what to expect with the second tender, the side to be mated with the first tender has options for a fixed coupler or tension lock coupling, a separate instruction sheet was included for how to fit either. The decision to make the forward facing buffers are plastic while the rest of the model has sprung metal ones, is puzzling to say the least. As for my headlight woes, the model sheet is for a generic A1/A3, making no mention of the specifics for the USA version. 

For detail shots of the headlight and the locomotive, I've included a Flickr album so you all can see the issues.

FSUSA-12.jpg

Thank you for the images. The Knuckle coupler looks a bit on the thin side compared to prototype images, as well as being fitted upside down. Still, looking forward to receiving mine. It’s great they have finally given a different option for the front of the 2nd tender instead of just the old chunky D style coupling loop. Will run so much better being slim to slim tension lock. 

451B8035-AF2E-46EB-81E7-C88DBCFF4439.jpeg

3B4A722D-73F3-4FB3-876C-8BA514378899.jpeg

The Knuckle coupler looks a bit on the thin side compared to prototype images

The upside down part is more criminal. Honestly it's not that jarring  compared to most American models. The dummy knuckles up front are uselessly sized correctly, but don't quite look the part. Reached out to Margate about the headlight issue and I'm waiting for a response, after that repair I'll work on the coupler replacement. I would assume a Kadee Number 5 shank would work, but its a matter of length.

• Agree 1

On 21/03/2023 at 01:34, ToledoRails said:

FSUSA-12.jpg

Green Tender wheels , they were Black in LNER days.

Hornby show them Black here as well !!

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/bulleid-59-coaches-usa-tour-flying-scotsman-and-two-club-locos

Looking at the photos of the models on Kernow’s website, the as-built and British Empire Exhibition versions appear to incorrectly have the later shortened cab (but correctly have the original taller chimney).

• RMweb Premium

I bought number 103.
It is a lovely model.

The die cast body has no seam along the top of the boiler.

The paint finish and colour look very good to  me.

It runs extremely well too, smooth, powerful with no waddle. The wheel back to backs were all good, unlike some earlier releases.

The running plate is dead straight.

The front buffer beam sits at the right height.

The smoke box seems to have a less shiny black than the normal satin paint which looks very good.  I don’t know if they are all like that.

The loco tender connection is less easy to modify than the wire and plug version which was very easy to close couple, but on the straight the gap is less than the previous factory setting and looks good. Also there is no sign of the skewing problem shown by the Bachmann V2 tender connection.

Yes the tender wheels are green but easy to swap or fix, it will give me something easy to do to improve it :-)

There are a couple of issues with mine but they will be easy to resolve.

Overall I am extremely happy with it.

Tom

Edited by Dominion
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/03/2023 at 03:38, micklner said:

Green Tender wheels , they were Black in LNER days.

Hornby show them Black here as well !!

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/bulleid-59-coaches-usa-tour-flying-scotsman-and-two-club-locos

The green tender wheels are correct for the USA Tour.

Edited by ToledoRails

• RMweb Premium

Looks like they have done some retooling to the 2nd tender as well. Watched a video on YouTube yesterday that showed the underside and the swivelling rear axle is gone. So it’s a new chassis at the very least which is definitely a good sign. 

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Looks like they have done some retooling to the 2nd tender as well. Watched a video on YouTube yesterday that showed the underside and the swivelling rear axle is gone. So it’s a new chassis at the very least which is definitely a good sign. 

But still no proper from buffer beam on it, nor a decent representation of the front corridor/buffing plate

Edited by G-BOAF

Bought 2 of the late model Flying Scotsman Hornby Dublo 60103 with German deflectors. One arrived with the banjo dome detached and paint chipped off (which has been returned)

Both had very wobbly Speedo cables which flex back and forth unrealistically when run and would probably eventually break due to fatigue of the plastic. 

I checked the length of the Speedo shafts and on both models whilst I had them. They were both too long and overshot the centre of the wheel by about 1mm. No wonder the wobbles. To their credit, After sending them footage, Hornby asked me to return for QC to investigate.

I see Dave at Dean Park proudly posted footage of his same Dublo model recently. His Speedo is doing the same merry dance. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

3 hours ago, Tunnelvision said:

Bought 2 of the late model Flying Scotsman Hornby Dublo 60103 with German deflectors. One arrived with the banjo dome detached and paint chipped off (which has been returned)

Both had very wobbly Speedo cables which flex back and forth unrealistically when run and would probably eventually break due to fatigue of the plastic. 

I checked the length of the Speedo shafts and on both models whilst I had them. They were both too long and overshot the centre of the wheel by about 1mm. No wonder the wobbles. To their credit, After sending them footage, Hornby asked me to return for QC to investigate.

I see Dave at Dean Park proudly posted footage of his same Dublo model recently. His Speedo is doing the same merry dance. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

Speedo cable will be flexible. The real problem will be the crank pin and whether it is machined such that the speedo crank sits over the wheel centre

It shouldnt be an impossible mod to either swap out or mosify the crank (the crank will push out from the plastic wheel structure). Or for Hornby to supply replacements if they are so minded

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, amwells said:

I don’t have one, but am interested in the second tender update - it looks like this one has separate handrails. Not sure the previous iteration did?

I believe the previous USA version did have separate handrails but it’s been a few years since I owned it so don’t quote me on that. It still had the pivoting rear axle though. 
Edit: Photo from Hattons shows the R2953 USA version and it did indeed have separate handrails. 

A8A56420-CEC6-4896-B2F6-FE07B52BF2FF.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added photo
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tunnelvision said:

I checked the length of the Speedo shafts and on both models whilst I had them. They were both too long and overshot the centre of the wheel by about 1mm.

Perhaps the piece that mounts to the footplating has been applied slightly too close. Would surely be easier to reattach that in the correct place. 

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I believe the previous USA version did have separate handrails but it’s been a few years since I owned it so don’t quote me on that. It still had the pivoting rear axle though. 
Edit: Photo from Hattons shows the R2953 USA version and it did indeed have separate handrails. 

A8A56420-CEC6-4896-B2F6-FE07B52BF2FF.jpeg

The pivoting axle type sounds like the very old Tender Drive chassis?. Hornby using up old stock??.