The Warley Project - A Modulus Demonstration Layout

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

It's now about 40-odd days to Warley, so it's about time I started the layout wot I'm taking.

You won't find me on the Layouts list, as this will form part of the Scale Model Scenery stand as it is to demonstrate the new Modulus system.

So, a track plan.

trackplan_2.png.ca12fc73057660843599e26a1720fd5b.png

Not the most ambitious, nor necessarily the most exciting to operate, but....... it will have sounds & lights and moving things (other than the trains) and all be operated & controlled via the wireless functionality.

Sporadic ( & frenzied updates) will appear here.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, drduncan said:

How does the sector plate work?

Duncan

A servo directly drives a large gear wheel, which in turn moves a straight geared rack in a fixed horizontal plane. The rack has a bolt up through the baseboard, into a long slot in the sector plate  This allows the slight movement necessary for the arc the sector plate makes.

1656327484_20221007_1523282.jpg.9db45d57c99e4ee546c5361659e0104b.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Interesting stuff there Stu.

I don't suppose the Modulus system offers a solution to these two old chestnuts (i) horse shunting and (ii) gravity shunting?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Interesting stuff there Stu.

I don't suppose the Modulus system offers a solution to these two old chestnuts (i) horse shunting and (ii) gravity shunting?

Hi Mikkel,

If you can think of a mechanism that can be worked by a servo, Modulus can control it.

Horse shunting - the main challenge would be the movement of wagons by themselves ( eg a High Level chassis), not to mention a moving horse, but neither of which is really solved by a servo.

Gravity shunting - it should be possible to create a flange-gripping brake contraption, servo operated, which could be semi-automatic if required, as well as the uncoupler at the top of the slope.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

It's strange how a simple viewblock increases interest. Visually, but also because as a viewer you stick around to see if the d*mn thing really does come out on the other side 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

It's strange how a simple viewblock increases interest. Visually, but also because as a viewer you stick around to see if the d*mn thing really does come out on the other side 🙂

The hidden loop will extend the full length of the layout, from the to-be-added FY on the left all the way to the sector plate.

The reasons for the loop and sector plate are twofold - to remove the need for a second FY and operator, and to display the capabilities operating a servo.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Modulus is a set of modules which can operate sound, lights and animation, on model railways, Lego, robots, or any other framework. It has been developed for and on behalf of @ScaleModelScenery.

It uses it's own WiFi network to communicate, removing the need for massive inter-board connecting cables.

Each module is identical, and can be configured to perform one of several functions (Input, Servo, Relay, etc), each of which has an appropriate slave module.

For examples in action, please see my YouTube channel ( stubby47), and there is much more information on the RailwayModellers.com forum https://community.railwaymodellers.com/folders/1316

Prices have not yet been released.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

After picking up various pieces of Modulus kit from Justin at SMS HQ yesterday, today I installed some of the kit on both baseboards.

Board #1 has a Servo and a Relay module, Board 2 has the same with an extra Input module too.

As the layout had been previously wired, with droppers on all the tracks, it was a simple job to add the 3rd servo,  mount the modules and connect the various bits of wire.

Each section of track, apart from the two points, can be individually isolated, making DC operation more interesting.  Obviously for DCC, all sections are turned on.

Once both boards were wired to the modules, I configured a new base unit and the 5 modules. I then set the various values for the 3 servo positions, and then checked/tweaked the settings for the 2 frogs and all the separate sections.

Tomorrow I will connect the boards and run trains around. Once I'm happy all is working, I will make the control panel, wiring it up to match the recorded settings.

We also plan to have a Mimic panel to show the various track information.

Board #1 - Goods Yard

2048154439_20221101_1352472.jpg.65a07205ada860dae915ee14d4cd2a88.jpg

Board #2 - Factory

445845348_20221101_1119142.jpg.c80cbf964f01fd44eb6dfb0cd8788420.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1