Locomotive Services Limited revealed their latest railtour set, a homage to the ScotRail Express push-pull sets of the 1980s.

DBSO 9707 and a set of five Mk3s have been repainted in ScotRail Express livery to go with Crewe Heritage Diesel's 47712 Lady Diana Spencer:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid026ytHFDgkQR9ByNtyEz3jJE4b4fU8mT8pT3PNx5cwdtgbicu5LnZffgYrTWEeSRofl&id=100075707029121&eav=AfYcMzvrUQy2FT6XMYHnu8VbvUqS-Lj8iGPgqzejw_4tKpdq4lgNC3uyctxeIP5MxXs&m_entstream_source=timeline&paipv=0

311495539_182967097570190_4587402946794409456_n.jpg.517f7f0e0cbad6c201c094fc98a79cb1.jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Certainly not on the main line!

Indeed!

I understand the plan is for test runs later this year, with a view to the first passenger carrying tour in January.

47712 was recently given overhauled bogies and R5 blocks to permit 95mph specially.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

47712 has been out and about on test with LSL's push pull set. Flickr pics

9707 5P55 Winwick

Not using the original TDM control, but the Class 47 MU connector - you can see the jumper plugged in just above the buffer beam. 

Which makes perfect sense if 712 was to suffer a failure, other LSL47s can be used.

Preston Push & Pull

• Like 11

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

47712 has been out and about on test with LSL's push pull set. Flickr pics

9707 5P55 Winwick

Not using the original TDM control, but the Class 47 MU connector - you can see the jumper plugged in just above the buffer beam. 

Which makes perfect sense if 712 was to suffer a failure, other LSL47s can be used.

Preston Push & Pull

Excellent photos.

The MU system they are using is Blue Star. The DBSO was already converted by DRS to use this in conjunction with 37s and Blue Star is one of the more widely used systems.

47712 plus two other 47s have been modified to use Blue Star and the Mk3 coaches have had a through control air pipe fitted.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Excellent photos.

The MU system they are using is Blue Star. The DBSO was already converted by DRS to use this in conjunction with 37s and Blue Star is one of the more widely used systems.

47712 plus two other 47s have been modified to use Blue Star and the Mk3 coaches have had a through control air pipe fitted.

Blue star was my thought given the DBSO's recent use with DRS/37s

Edited by newbryford

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Blue star was my thought given the DBSO's recent use with DRS/37s

I imagine that was a major reason behind choosing to use Blue Star, bit equally some 47s were converted to Green Circle which is very similar to Blue Star with some jumper and fault indication differences.

It's also easier to use with older locos which use control air throttles as well, you may as well simply use air to control engine speed from a driving trailer than fit an electronic system to transmit control inputs which then has to interface to something which then sets a control air pressure for the engine control itself.

The one draw back is lag, at least the sets are short but you need to make sure the control pipe is fairly leak free otherwise the control air pressure gets low and it takes an absolute age to transmit a throttle speed increase.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

I imagine that was a major reason behind choosing to use Blue Star, bit equally some 47s were converted to Green Circle which is very similar to Blue Star with some jumper and fault indication differences.

It's also easier to use with older locos which use control air throttles as well, you may as well simply use air to control engine speed from a driving trailer than fit an electronic system to transmit control inputs which then has to interface to something which then sets a control air pressure for the engine control itself.

The one draw back is lag, at least the sets are short but you need to make sure the control pipe is fairly leak free otherwise the control air pressure gets low and it takes an absolute age to transmit a throttle speed increase.

Presumably the 'lag' is on applying power and the brakes are still controlled instantly from the DBSO?

6 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Presumably the 'lag' is on applying power and the brakes are still controlled instantly from the DBSO?

Yes, standard brake controller identical to that in a 47 - and using the UIC twin-pipe automatic air brake system. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hexagon789 said:

And this of course harks back to the system used by the p-p cl.27s i.e only so-fitted coaches could be used.

The cl.47/7 system was a Glasgow Works home-made solution which was developed into the TDM system, advantage being any coaches with RCH/lighting jumpers could be placed in a set.

There are some test-run videos on YouTube.

e.g.

Is it just me or is the dark upper panel black, instead of Executive/Intercity dark grey?

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There is a possibility that a model set will be running on Deadmans Lane ate Glasgow in two weeks.

Courtesy of a friend.

There's a few details still to be sorted.

47712.jpg.5eb10ad4bc34047381f9a9def082d9e6.jpg

The real life set will also be visiting Glasgow on the weekend of the show! It's due at Queen Street as part of its tour at 1000 on Saturday the 25th.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

The real life set will also be visiting Glasgow on the weekend of the show! It's due at Queen Street as part of its tour at 1000 on Saturday the 25th.

Partly why the model set will hopefully be there! (At the show that is)

Edited by newbryford
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, keefer said:

And this of course harks back to the system used by the p-p cl.27s i.e only so-fitted coaches could be used

Effectively identical bar a few modern fault indication updates

13 minutes ago, keefer said:

The cl.47/7 system was a Glasgow Works home-made solution which was developed into the TDM system, advantage being any coaches with RCH/lighting jumpers could be placed in a set.

I understood that was jointly developed by BR and Brush 

and initially at least there were plans to utilise additional BSOs with modified 81s/85s on the Great Eastern Main Line to Norwich, some 10 years before push-pull was actually introduced there.

15 minutes ago, keefer said:

Is it just me or is the dark upper panel black, instead of Executive/Intercity dark grey?

It looks a bit dark I agree, but LSL do usually make the effort to get the correct colour specs.

When I've seen her with my own eyes as opposed to through the camera lens, I'll give you my verdict on that!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, keefer said:

And this of course harks back to the system used by the p-p cl.27s i.e only so-fitted coaches could be used.

There are some test-run videos on YouTube.

e.g.

It is black, but presumably to match their other Mk3s which are also black (both rakes missing out on Exec Dark Grey). 

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

The DBSO doesn't appear to have a cow catcher. I thought that was a requirement for a DBSO after Polmont?

The obstacle deflector is still there, I think it's the fresh paint makes it blend in more - perhaps this photo from ALAN HART shows it better:

Red Bank, LSL DBSO & 47712 1V92 (10.15 Crewe - Preston - Crewe Gresty Lane)  08/02/23.

(ALAN HART Flickr)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1