222000 Class Railcars In OO from IRM

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, murphaph said:

Variety is the spice of life!

Like Heuston perhaps ?  !  Sligo would do for me  nicely framed with the walling and middle sidings and loco shed remains close by. Freight if it were shown would be down the branch before the station, so would only need hinting at.

mind you just bought a 6 car as a way of holding down a shelf..

Robert   

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Limerick would make a nice terminus station and with a bit of compression you could accommodate the wagon works and justify displaying wagons from all over the network. Also you could run (when they become available) a mk 3 suburban push pull set with a 121 at the helm. Limerick also had the immediately adjacent bus depot to display a few Bus Eireann models. Container terminal too, right beside the station. All in a fairly compact space. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your feedback on this one, it's been in the works for at least 12 months now and we were very excited to follow up our first powered model for IRM (The A Class) with something a little bit different. The reaction we received at the Dublin show over the weekend to it has been mega and over 10% of the proposed run has already been sold on pre-order. 

On 31/10/2022 at 16:30, E100 said:

So cards on the table I will not be getting one as a pure UK modeller. 

That being said. I'm really glad that you are making this as they will be so many Irish modellers who will benefit and it would be nice to see the occasional layout with these on. You can't make a modern Irish railway layout without them. I think the price feels about right considering the detail and run size. I'd presume that any UK DMU would likely to be priced lower due to the economies of scale. The level of detail looks outstanding from the specs. It'll be quite something to see a full 6 car set running or multiples I'm sure. 

I presume that DCC control will mean the wand is optional?

I presume only one chip is required with the speakers wired to the central PCB?

PS I've always slightly got the impression that Accurascale was made to make IRM more viable (not that it wasn't in of itself but to give greater resilience to the business) and that the original dream was always to make a model company that could make high spec Irish models (based on the founders being Ireland based). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Irish contingent also have a heck of a lot of enjoyment making the British outline models too and are passionate about that too. If there's any truth in that I'm especially glad that you are producing this as it means the realisation of that dream.

Hi @E100,

Thanks for your kind words and yes, the wand will be optional and only one decoder is required.

As for our tastes, I myself have a lot more BR stock than Irish outline, but some of the team are the other way inclined. However, the love for both scenes is very strong throughout the company and our team who we have assembled since are loving all things IRM too. In fact, we're thinking of making Gareth and @Islesy honorary Irishmen at this stage! 

On 31/10/2022 at 21:56, St. Simon said:

Hi,

They look gorgeous!

Modern Irish Railways is a subject that I have thought about modelling in the future, and these are starting to sway me…

I’m intrigued about the Corridor Connections, the spec implies that they will touch each other without a gap, is that true or am I misinterpreting it, if they do, that’ll be fantastic!

Simon

Thanks @St. Simon, the Irish scene is certainly worth a closer look and is growing and our core here is very much Irish outline now. Certainly not a bubble that's likely to burst anytime soon...

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...

I actually found this announcement by accident a few nights ago, and at the time I was in a hotel near Dublin Airport. We were just about to come home from an Irish holiday that involved a number of rides on 22000 class units. 

As a consequence, my thoughts for a model layout project are moving away from British Rail and instead considering Irish Rail.

Just got to figure out a way to model the 2800 class units.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The 2600 and 2800 are very alike, both being built by Tokyu. I would be surprised if IRM aren't at least considering a Tokyu 2600 (there was a much earlier AEC 2600 Class railcar/DMU) at some stage as they have had a long life in many liveries and are the railcar that appeared during what many consider a sweet spot in modelling, that period around 1994/5 when the A Class was still in service but the 201's were starting to appear and along with them the new IE plug and socket logo. Anyway it's great that this 22000 Class model is making you switch to Irish outline. 

• Agree 1

On 26/11/2022 at 19:47, murphaph said:

The 2600 and 2800 are very alike, both being built by Tokyu. I would be surprised if IRM aren't at least considering a Tokyu 2600 (there was a much earlier AEC 2600 Class railcar/DMU) at some stage as they have had a long life in many liveries and are the railcar that appeared during what many consider a sweet spot in modelling, that period around 1994/5 when the A Class was still in service but the 201's were starting to appear and along with them the new IE plug and socket logo. Anyway it's great that this 22000 Class model is making you switch to Irish outline. 

Thanks for the information. Not fully committed to making the jump to Irish railway modelling yet, all depends on selling the present house and where we end up living (and the size of the model railway room....)  

During the course of our recent Irish holiday, I never saw a Tokyu 2600 alongside a 2800, so unable to compare body configuration, underframe equipment etc.

The postman has just delivered my order of a Quail Map for Ireland, so I feel the need to put the kettle on, make a brew and look at some track diagrams....   I may be some time  8)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, EddieK said:

Thanks for the information. Not fully committed to making the jump to Irish railway modelling yet, all depends on selling the present house and where we end up living (and the size of the model railway room....)  

During the course of our recent Irish holiday, I never saw a Tokyu 2600 alongside a 2800, so unable to compare body configuration, underframe equipment etc.

The postman has just delivered my order of a Quail Map for Ireland, so I feel the need to put the kettle on, make a brew and look at some track diagrams....   I may be some time  8)

The Ordnance Survey of Ireland provide wonderful maps (modern and historic) with detailed track plans

https://webapps.geohive.ie/mapviewer/index.html

A dreadfully easy way to lose a few hours :) 

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 13.26.18.png

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 13.27.38.png

Edited by McC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Fantastic News! Our ICRs are now in the tooling room and the creation of the moulds is well under way! We will have a 3D print of the final CAD to show at the upcoming North Down Model Railway Society show at Bangor in April and the Wexford Model Railway Club show in early May.

500170085_14(3).jpg.4af02a80d93e478b4c360bbfbd4fd0e4.jpg

he first tooling sample will be with us over the summer, and we may look to organise an event to premiere it for the first time...

In the meantime pre-orders have been coming thick and fast for what promises to be an exquisite model, the very first bespoke Irish Railcar in high quality, ready-to-run format. We're over 20% already sold on pre-order, so don't hang about! 

Ordered yours yet? Get your order in today: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/railcar-class-22000-icr

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Announced at the 2022 Dublin show in Raheny, we're delighted to bring you the first tooled samples of our all new Rotem ICR 22000 Intercity Railcars at the 2023 show at Blackrock College this October Bank Holiday weekend!

There is some improvements to be made to the tooling, such as fit and finish, particularly the removable roof sections. We are also looking at the fine tuning of the underframe equipment and improving the car-to-car connections.

However, pictures tell a story of a thousand words, so feast your eyes below!

As well as the ICR tooling, we also have the first samples of the Sculfort shunting tractor. This little loco is un-powered and comes free with each ICR 6 car pack, based of the shunting tractor in Portlaoise Depot.

Our ICRs are on course for delivery in Summer of 2024! As you can see, the first high quality ready-to-run model of an Irish railcar that is prototypically accurate is shaping up rather well indeed! 

Due to the size of the sets, production is limited, so we advise any of you thinking of placing an order to do so very soon to avoid disappointment. Browse the range of 3, 4 and 6 car sets via the link below, and place your preorder, either no money down until they arrive in stock, or spread the payments over 6 months via our partial.ly service at no extra cost!

Pre-Order Your 22000 ICR Here!

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6419.jpeg

Edited by McC
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That does look good, I wonder who will fit  a micro motor to the tug! Nothing like a challenge. A T gauge drive motor would make a "traction motor" sized unit.. I really hope the "Fran" sized driver shown comes with it.    ( Other IRM scanned crew might be available!)

Looking forward to zapping the ICR round the layout as I expect many are.

Robert 

3 minutes ago, E100 said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought these were having conductive connectors but these appear to be magnetic?

Yes, I was just wandering if they are magnetic couplings, does that mean that 2 sound decoders are needed for the speakers in both driving cars?

Simon

Slightly off-topic, but the cab design reminds me of Rotem's domestic version, the Korail 368000 Class (as well as the Ukrainian HRCS2 and the Malaysian KTM Class 91...) so I was pondering to get one, but alas, there are many differences between the two such as the two double decker trailers in the middle of the rake.

image.png.4d125f3ab35bf2d3c5b14aea5e7b45d4.png

Its a shame that there aren't any models of those, let alone a lot of Korean RTR models in general... I remember riding one when they were introduced in service back in 2012!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

Slightly off-topic, but the cab design reminds me of Rotem's domestic version, the Korail 368000 Class (as well as the Ukrainian HRCS2 and the Malaysian KTM Class 91...) so I was pondering to get one, but alas, there are many differences between the two such as the two double decker trailers in the middle of the rake.

image.png.4d125f3ab35bf2d3c5b14aea5e7b45d4.png

Its a shame that there aren't any models of those, let alone a lot of Korean RTR models in general... I remember riding one when they were introduced in service back in 2012!

It's one of those ironies of things that the Republic of Korea has been home to some of the world's finest model train manufacturers such as Ajin and Samhongsa (who made models for most of the great US and European brass train companies) and still makes models such as the Tomix  1/80 scale range has such a limited range of domestic models. There is a little bit but it is still very nascent. Many years behind China where there's quite a developed hobby, which is itself far behind the state of the hobby in Japan.  I would love to see more Asian railway models.  There are however a lot of die-cast models, often beautifully done (with prices to match) and made for the actual train manufacturers as promotional items.

• Friendly/supportive 1